Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm looking at doing a full transmission rebuild this winter, and I was wondering what can be done to beef it up so it can handle higher horse? I was wondering if shot-peening would work, and if so, what components? Also, a buddy of mine said that having it cryo treated will do the trick. Suggestions? And any other help would be much appreciated. Thank guys!

Deep_Blue

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
If you're talking about the R154, it'll hold damn near anything you can throw at it. I've yet to break one, and believe me, I've tried.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Try launching the R154 from 4,500 rpm's with super sticky tires and it'll say bye bye eventually.

Ask any hardcore drag racer, like myself and Mike92LX. I've personally broken two R154's.

Our cars are waay too heavy.

·
Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
12,222 Posts
Try powershifting... With 3200 lbs rps clutch and 275's out back :D

my 2nd one is on it's way out.

W

·
0 Posts
yeah im expecting to break mine when the car is done... so does anyone know the answer to this guys question?? i would like to know also if they make any aftermarket rebuild parts for the r154... would be a better investment then going through a few trannys

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
MKIIISupraGuy said:
Ask any hardcore drag racer, like myself and Mike92LX. I've personally broken two R154's.
This would be why I'm a road racer. :p

If you're planning on flogging the piss out of it (e.g. drag racing), you may as well just go with a custom transmission from the get-go. You'll save a lot of money and hassle.

Either a built manual, or, if you're serious about drag racing, a turbo 400 GM slushbox.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Weird, guys re going through the R154 tranny so easily. I have been on the same sub 11 sec trans with TRD/ Exceedy and have no problems with 1:6 sixty foots and power shift on sticky BFG D/R.

Orin B Sr

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
OS Giken makes/made a gearset for the R154. If anyone can locate a source for them I'm all ears. These things aren't as bulletproof as folks like to think.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
chevyeater-on-sf said:
OS Giken makes/made a gearset for the R154. If anyone can locate a source for them I'm all ears. These things aren't as bulletproof as folks like to think.
I think Ultra7M runs them in his trans. Good luck asking him where he got them :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright everyone, just ran a search on google and found this http://www.ooparts-international.co.jp/index/car/listbybrand/osgiken/transmission/ . I just came back onto the forums for the first time, and yes, my transmission is a R154. Does, anyone know if it is more bulletproof then the six speed that mates to the 2jzgte? And does anyone know whether shot peening or cryo treating will make a good contribution to it's strength, I want to hear some sort of solid answer before she comes apart, thoguh I am pretty sure the shift forks are toast on her, but I digress. So let me know what you think.

Deep_Blue

·
ma70-7m=1JZ
2,517 Posts
Has anyone here changed the syncros in the r134?, mine are shot and it also thing howls like a gear drive small block chevy. Who has rebuilt there own?. I have heard that you have to break 5th gear whan you take it apart, and buy a new one.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a service manual, and I'm pretty sure that thing about breaking 5th gear is BS, I know there ARE some parts that have to be replaced every time though.

Deep_Blue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts