Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a blown stock headgasket on my n/a engine that has been turbod for nearly 2 years with gte electronics. My question is should i rebuild the na with forged pistons, mhg, new bearings, head job. Or should I just buy a JDM gte. my na block only has about 50K on it also. they would cost about the same, what do you guys think?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
i would go for the build over stock...

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Jdm could have problems... id just build it... that would let you have the opportunity to drop the CR.

·
Always playing catch up
1,632 Posts
or....

you could get a USDM one and get the oil squirters and build that up

<l><l>

·
what would jesus drift?
987 Posts
my jdm had a bhg, and has nasty oil pressure. and right now im looking into replacing the cams due to jurnal damage..

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
snake eyes said:
or....

you could get a USDM one and get the oil squirters and build that up

<l><l>
Oil squirters arent that great...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know my na is in great condition ,only has around 50K on it. If i did rebiuld it is it possible to tap a hole in the block for the turbo oil return instead of using my oil pan return, even though it is bigger than a stock block return?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If your N/A is in good shape, just get a MHG with ARPs. Your present oil return should be fine. Do a compression/leakdown test to confirm the block.
If your planning on upping the boost, then I'd consider rebuilding with lower CR.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do plan on upping the boost, do you suggest different pistons or a bigger hg to lower compression. im looking for about 400whp to beat my friends s/c stang. hes going down

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
How much boost are you running now? You can feasibly run 400WHP with your upgraded CT and N/A compression. That higher compression gives you quicker response and lower end preboost power not to mention quicker spool. There's just less room for error. As far as higher end power, if you want to lower your compression for higher boost, I would suggest lower compression pistons as a thicker HG would give you marginal change.

·
Gripless EGO
81 Posts
yea man im looking to get the same power. i have a JDM NA block stock, rebuilt head, greddy 3mm HG(BIG), ARP headstuds, stock turbo intercooler and piping. but im pretty sure with the upgrades im doing i should be fine. Garret T4/T04e, 680cc injectors, MAP ecu, walboro tank, ebay front mount, custom IC piping and a bunch of tuning. IMO pistons arent really needed at 400 HP, i would say the right fuel/air, boost, and tuning u should be good. if im wrong tear me up lol i dont care.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
aXis 7m said:
yea man im looking to get the same power. i have a JDM NA block stock, rebuilt head, greddy 3mm HG(BIG), ARP headstuds, stock turbo intercooler and piping. but im pretty sure with the upgrades im doing i should be fine. Garret T4/T04e, 680cc injectors, MAP ecu, walboro tank, ebay front mount, custom IC piping and a bunch of tuning. IMO pistons arent really needed at 400 HP, i would say the right fuel/air, boost, and tuning u should be good. if im wrong tear me up lol i dont care.
The only reason pistons were being suggested in the case of the 400HP N/A is for lower CR not power handling capability. The thread opener said he was ultimately going for higher boost later. If your going for higher boost, you need to lower compression or employ H2O inj or look to detonate your head off. Race gas would help but if it's a street car, hit the lotto first. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts