Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here tried adding an extra oil cooler to their NA Auto Tranny? We are about to install the HP Freaks kit on a 1995 NA Auto, and I am wondering if it will help our tranny last until we can install a 6-Speed upgrade.

·
StrokerClub Member
550 Posts
dasboost said:
Anyone here tried adding an extra oil cooler to their NA Auto Tranny? We are about to install the HP Freaks kit on a 1995 NA Auto, and I am wondering if it will help our tranny last until we can install a 6-Speed upgrade.
An extra cooler should help the internals of any tranny IMHO.
The NA tranny wont last very long under boost even with an extra cooler. Dont wait too long for the 6-speed swap.

gadgetSC-t

·
Banned
1,747 Posts
the cooler WILL help but not enough to keep that trans from slipping. you might want to try some of the n/a tranny mods to make 1st to second shift faster, or something to incress line pressure. also I've seen ATFs like redline's ATF help a lot. but bottom line is the n/a tranny was not made to hold a lot of power

·
<.>
343 Posts
My stock auto tranny has been under boost at 7.5-9psi for nearly a year with no changes in how the car shifts since it went NA-T. In my case since going NA-T, I have to MANU shift the car from 1 to 2 to 3 at WOT because the car is too slow to react to the added horsepower and ends up trying to shift late, causing me to hit the rev limiter. At WOT, I have to manu shift at 4.5K on 1st gear and 5k on 2nd gear to give the tranny time to shift to the next gear and allow the car to reach below redline.

I use a B&M tranny cooler along with Toyota Type IV tranny fluid to keep the stock tranny healthy. It still is running strong but the tranny does slip a lot if I don't manually shift at WOT.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts