Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on where to stay in Maui? Looking at going in early May... prices on travelocity/expedia are fairly comparable to going to Mexico.

Looking at the Westin or Ritz for 4 nights. How much would one expect for dining/drinking $$ there?

·
Slightbreach of Etiquette
429 Posts
I had a dream I took a weekend vacation to Hawaii last night and it ended up being overcast and when I got on the plane to go home the ground froze, so check the weather forecast.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Went this past summer with the GF. Here's a post from another forum so I don't have to rewrite everything.

We ended up staying in a condo in the south part of Kihei which was right across from Kamaole Beach II. I honestly thought it was a very nice beach and probably the best one out of the series of 3 beaches that are in that part of Kihei. We were no more then a mile from the multi-million dollar mansions in Wailea. Getting a condo ended up being a great idea as we ate breakfast on the balcony overlooking the ocean every morning and cooked up some nice steaks on a few of the evenings. The place was as clean as it could have been and this particular area of Kihei was actually very decent.

We did end up doing a good bit of things. First we went para sailing in Kanapale. We both actually found Kanapela too touristy. There was too many resorts and just felt more like any other large resort area. The beach wasn't anything special to boast about either. At least the para sailing was pretty cool. We were able to go up in pairs and that made the experience a lot more fun. I never knew how quiet it is 800 feet up in the air until. Next we went to Hana to see the waterfalls. We ended up swimming in the pool right underneath the highest waterfall. Wow what an experience. The water is beating down on you, the wind is roaring, it's practically knocking you off your feet, you don't even notice how cold the water is because of all the excitement. On the way back we ended up climbing on top of another waterfall. Being just inched away from a 300-foot drop off was crazy. But sitting there and just overlooking the ocean and the all the trees below you while the water starts its decent just inches away from you was amazing. The road to Hana itself was a hell of a drive itself. I have to admit, learning how to drive in the midwest, I've never driven on anything remotely like it.

The next day we went snorkeling (or blue water rafting as they call it). It was actually a lot of fun and I did get to snorkel around with the turtles and a bunch of fish. The rest of that day we just bummed around on the beach close to us and relaxed. The next day we went to Big Beach. This was definitely the best beach, but you have to be careful with the waves as instead of cresting a little ways away from the short, they crest right before the shore and slam you into the sand. We went boogie boarding there. My gf kept getting sand between the swimsuit lining and kept giving everyone a show. No one even had to go to the little beach. But I think the boogie board was a little large for her and she ended up getting hit with one of the waves a little too hard and hurt her neck a little. We decided to call it quits at that point before it got worse. The next day one person broke his neck and another person broke his leg at that beach. That evening we ended up going to Grand Wailea for a few drinks and to check out the hotel. It was definitely a gorgeous area and a beautiful hotel. Definitely a place to stay if you can afford it. It was cool to see the little geckos running around here and there, but my gf did get freaked out by a few over-sized slugs that were crawling around the fountain pool. It was difficult to get used to the building being almost completely roofless on the inside; very cool tho.

Our last full day we went to little beach to check out what it's all about. This beach ended up having the best waves for body-surfing. Once the sun set we watched a bit of the fire-dancing. The last day we spent a few more hours at the beach by our condo and then went around to get a few gifts to bring back. It was fun to stop by the Shops at Wailea and see all the fancy shops and all the stuff that I can't afford yet.

All-in-all this ended up being an awesome trip. The only thing we didn't end up doing that we wanted to was going up to the volcano to see the sunrise. But we did end up seeing a lot of the island and feel like we came away with a lot to remember.
I also posted some pics on this forum before, but I can't find them since i can't search off topic, so if you want I'll post them again.

Yuri

·
Registered
161 Posts
Last time I went to Maui, I stayed at the Kaanapali Alii. It's condos, so it might be a slightly different experience from a regular hotel resort. I remember it was quite nice. The beach was good and my brother and I were the only ones surfing so there was none of that Waikiki crowdedness. Lahaina was about 10 miles away and they had some nice restaurants and stuff. Not sure on prices because my parents paid for everything.

http://www.kaanapalialii.com

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
Ok lets see... Ive been to Hawaii 2 times, maui and kona. I guess it all depends on how you view things. If your the type that likes to be out the whole day visiting places and stuff, just get a nice non expensive hotel somewhere. Youll just use it to sleep and fuck basically. Now if your the type that enjoys most of the day in a spa, pool, getting a tan in you resort, well then an expensive place is right fow you. We stayed at the Grand Wailea on Maui, fucking beautiful resort, but very pricey. In kona, i forgot where we stayed but it was some big resort too.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
We stayed at the Grand Wailea on Maui, fucking beautiful resort, but very pricey.
I'll second that. We went there for some drinks one evening just to see the place. Definitely the place to stay if you have the $$$.

·
Wingless Hardtop Moderator
3,090 Posts
PM me with any questions.. I live there seasonally and will be there all summer if you replan for later...

what are you trying to do?

any basic meal thats not fast food will be around 10 bucks.. eating out expect to spend the norm, 5-7 a drink.. all depends on where you go for the price of food.

hit up freds on kihei side for good mexi food and decent crowd with drink specials

·
Black is Faster!
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the info guys. Booked the trip tonight @ the Ritz for 5 nights. Decided to stay 1 night longer because I'm learning there is actually a ton to do there, and didn't just want to stay baking on the beach/poolside the whole time. I've heard there is some amazing hiking and off the path stuff.

·
Sound Awake
642 Posts
I went down in January for a couple weeks, staying at the Grand Wailea Elua Village (condos) right beside the Grand Wailea Resort. Absolutely gorgeous place!! A few of my favorite places were:

- Grand Wailea Resort and its ammenities
- The Shops of Wailea (for shopping of course)
- Mt. Haleakala - The summit and the crator (scenery)
- Iao Valley (scenery)
- And the beaches, of course!!

Definitely going next year. Hopefully on a yearly basis from now on. You won't regret going, that's for sure!

MIX

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
Where is that? Sort of looks like Iao Valley except without the parking lot in front. Road to Hana?

Also about big beach aka break neck beach, an ambulance is a common site there. Not a beach for beginner boogie or body boarders. It's a shame that place doesn't have showers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts