Supra Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Hadn't thought about that space above the diff there... my fuel tank occupies most of it now, but that makes a lot of sense.

Good call on the safety aspect. I really should figure out a way to bulkhead my hatch area so my car doesn't try to kill me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
These guys are all seasoned, and their opinions are closer to fact. That's all through experience with these cars over decades. It's probably best to get a Honda daily (or equivalent) at first. If you still end up deciding to purchase the Supra, there's a ton of really helpful people here (and the search bar of course lol). Good luck.

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
should I get a 1986 supra for my first car? what would you suggest.
first and only car (not rents, not friends, your 4 wheels), no deep wrenching or electrical experience. Hard pass!

Reactions: Wreckless

·
Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
If I'm getting a car I need space because of my family and plus we will travel a lot. suggestions
Toyota Camry or Honda Accord.

Rav4 if you need 4WD for snow/bad weather.

Reactions: figgie

·
Registered
1988 MA70 Turbo
36 Posts
Hi y'all,

I sold my daily (07 bimmer 525xi) and am now looking for a car that I can get my hands dirty and have fun with. Below is the description of a mk3 nearby I found on facebook marketplace asking for 6.5k

"1989 mk3 supra hard top. 7mgte/r154. Fresh headwork, OEM headgasket and ARP head bolts. 6 puck clutch. Close to factory except for brand new driftmotion 57 trim turbo. Boss audio double din touch screen radio with new speakers to install. Cube short throw shifter. Has all ac parts on the car but needs new lines and a charge. The front and rear bumper need fresh paint and theres rust in the spare tire compartment, pretty common for these cars."

This seems to be a pretty solid car to me. But it "needs new (AC) lines and a charge" and has "speakers to install,"
1) are these jobs manageable for a beginner? I'm reasonably inquisitive and handy but have no experience working with cars.
2) is this a good deal? Anything I need to be careful when inspecting/purchasing?
3) do you think it important to build relationship with local mechanics? if so where can I usually find them?
4) Any general tips?

buncha thanks!
I'll give you my experience. I bought an 88 with 250k on body and 110k on the drivetrain.

Ended up finding a lot of age-related surprises. Bad suspension bushings, blown differential right after I got it, etc etc. I bought it for $5k CAD and have since sunken over $8k (about to be 10k after I buy some wheels and tires tonight...:devilish:). I'd say 4000 of that 10k was all modification (coils, big brakes, wheels and tires.) The rest was all repairs/maintenance.

Head gasket blown, completely unexpected, especially since the owners told me it had ARP bolts and such when the engine was replaced. I'm not saying they're lying to you about the headwork, but if you can't see a fresh head in there, you have no idea since you didn't do the work.

I'm a beginner mechanic too really. 17y/o, 5th car, but really the only car I have done proper work on, the extent of my mechanic skills before was an oil pan job on an 8L Audi S3. I've done every bit of work on this car myself with only forum research and a sort-of self taught mechanic for father.

It's super intimidating to get in there and rebuild half your car when you have no training for real experience, but I mean, I've somehow done it. You will mess up and make mistakes. You will put it back together and have to take it apart again. You WILL break shit that you don't want to break.

You need to have financial stability to own an old project car. One simple little job can turn into something very, very large very quickly. If I didn't have to replace parts I broke or found broken when going in for something completely different, my costs on this car would be halved easily.

I agree with all these other guys on this thread, I would not buy the car if you need a car to get to work and stuff. Im fortunate enough to be able to drive my second car, or my parent's cars if I need it. I would be screwed if the supra was my only vehicle because of how much it sits in the garage and how much work it always could use lol.

I daily it in the warm months here in Canada. If it breaks, it breaks. I'm fine with that because I have the safety net of other cars and financial stability (well, for a 17y/o).

As for your car, the hardtop is sick, and if the work done is true and proper, it's probably worth the 6.5k USD IF you can handle the costs to own and repair.

AC might not be fun to work on if you don't take enough apart. I could only access it properly with the radiator and intake plenum off the car. I don't know about the lines but They don't look like a fun job to do. I'd rather just delete the AC than try and fix it personally, I never use it anyways, I have a targa.

Speakers, that could be very easy or very hard depending on the car. The speakers themselves aren't that difficult to access and take out, as long as you're okay with working on the interior and taking off interior panels and such and very possibly breaking them. But if the connectors or wires aren't good, it could become quite the headache quickly, especially if you need to be driving the car and such. It could be an afternoon job, or it could be a season job. I'd just use a bluetooth portable speaker and my phone, if I ever listened to music over the engine.

I would assume you'd need some electrical knowledge and experience to properly install the deck and speakers.

Overall, I made a judgement call on an impulse when I bought the car. I figured either I'd be able to do any and all work It needed, or I'd learn how to do it all and then do it.

Don't make my "mistake" if you know you cant afford the time or money the car deserves. It's like a German car I've found, you need to do it right and do everything you can to avoid headaches on the road. It is not a Honda Civic or Miata where it will run with some duck tape, cardboard, and some yelling.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts