Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually thinking about buying, from Toyota, a new set of belt trim for my '87T. Super white. What I've learned so far is that the '87 and '88 trim had metal in it, and that's what's falling apart on my car.

'89 and up used a plastic trim, no metal and it fits exactly in the same holes. I went to the dealer toiday to find out about ordering the trim and just about fell over dead. It's a lot of money.

They also said that the new trim kit would be double sided tape - better, doesn't let the water down in behind the trim. Seals better.

waddya think. Is this right and good?

./.

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
How much was it from dealer?

I would look on the forums for sale sections and Ebay first...

·
Invert.
257 Posts
I'm really interested in how this goes, post it up. I need new trim myself, white for an 89. Its still comin off though, but thats 16 years and 170k miles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belt trim is the piece that goes around the car at about midway between the top of the door and the bottom of the door.

I'm in canada and the initial quote is about $1000 cdn or $800 U.S. They said they would discount it 10%. That's for the ten pieces (five each side).

I've looked and looked on ebay for two years now, and asked everyone on this forum, and others. A complete 10 piece '89 and up white trim kit is just unobtainable.

The search goes on. I need a Toyota dealer that will discount this heavily.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
TrueNorthSupra said:
Belt trim is the piece that goes around the car at about midway between the top of the door and the bottom of the door.

I'm in canada and the initial quote is about $1000 cdn or $800 U.S. They said they would discount it 10%. That's for the ten pieces (five each side).

I've looked and looked on ebay for two years now, and asked everyone on this forum, and others. A complete 10 piece '89 and up white trim kit is just unobtainable.

The search goes on. I need a Toyota dealer that will discount this heavily.

Talk to Champion Toyota. They usually discount things about 35%, and the US price list is quite a bit cheaper than the Canadian one with the current exchange rate anyways.

I think the thing you need to do is get a used set, and get it painted to match the car, instead of trying to find a white set.

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
TrueNorthSupra said:
1) i knew what you were talking about...just NEVER heard it called that before...to me its moulding..

2) i got a full set of moulding off of ebay for 90 bucks shipped about three months ago...and people are selling them all the time...just gotta keep an eye out...getting it new would be stupid IMO...pay WAYYYY too much...

good luck

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
A complete 89+ set of moulding in good shape usually goes for anywhere from $100-200.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a search set up at ebay for over a year now and never saw a set. '89-92 and superwhite, and a complete set - never. A couple ratty used pieces, maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts