Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Fan of Stock Twins
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any immediate, possible performance benefits of running an AEM EMS on a stock Supra?

· Registered
953 Posts
If you are talking about COMPLETELY stock, then yes (this is of course after you ditch the cats and have a full exhaust/intake) But I assume you mean stock as in stock twins.

However, at bpu for most it would be a waste of money as the BPU mods+ stock ecu are a good combo(minus the obd1 lean spot). One of the advantages of having the EMS though would be you wouldnt have all the alphabet soup electronic parts of bpu and if you ever wanted to go single would have it already.

· Fan of Stock Twins
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input.

I notice there are quite a few guys on here who go Stock -> BPU -> BPU+ -> BPU ++... -> APU and end up selling half of the parts they buy due to obsolescence.

I'm not yet sure what hP goal I have for my car, but I thought an AEM EMS might be a good part to have "if".
As already mentioned above...for BPU, it could take the place of the multiple piggyback systems. For APU, it would replace the factory ECU.
It would be nice if there were a simple, easy benefit to reap from an AEM EMS for a stock car, as you continue to decide what those hP goals are.

· Banned
797 Posts
Here is my car, before/after the AEM:

Note: the wideband was reading off because the filter needed to be cleaned. The car was being tuned off the onboard AEM UEGO, which is reading about 11.5:1 once under full boost.

Ken

· Registered
2,345 Posts
KBlake said:
Here is my car, before/after the AEM:

Note: the wideband was reading off because the filter needed to be cleaned. The car was being tuned off the onboard AEM UEGO, which is reading about 11.5:1 once under full boost.

Ken
Nice graph Ken. After I went with a standalone, I saw a smother power band. But that was about the only difference. Also just a little more power gain with my a/f also in the 11s. Very safe tune.

· Banned
797 Posts
C5 4 NOW said:
I have been told it doesn't make a big improvement on a stock twin car. This was said by someone who tunes AEM.

Well, you can see it made a significant difference on my car. Those are the pump gas plots, being able to directly control timing while running race gas yielded another 40RWHP, at the same boost level (18PSI):

I'm not advocating for everyone to run out and buy an AEM. I happened across my AEM in the for sale section, shortly after I bought the car, for $1k shipped. Having gone through the whole alphabet soup of black boxes on my last car (93 MR2 turbo) before going standalone, I decided to save myself time and money and install the AEM at the beginning, before wasting money on black boxes. I was even able to make some money back, by selling the black boxes the prior owner had already installed.

The fact that I am local to John Reed/RRev Motorsports was certainly a big part of my decision making process. John is one of the top AEM tuners in the world, and a good friend of mine. My car drives and runs like stock part throttle/off boost, but is a whole lot stronger throughout the powerband when the boost is on.

John did comment that BPU guys are the hardest to tune for, because the stock ECU still does such a good job at this level. He said the single cars generally run like crap on the black boxes, so the difference with the AEM is much more readily apparent.

I know from past experience that no amount of power is ever "enough", (power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely). Now I have a key piece of the "going single" expense and process out of the way.

Ken

· Registered
7,859 Posts
KBlake said:
The wideband setup on the Dynojet has a filter on it. It hadn't been changed recently, so it was obstructed, and reading a couple of points leaner than the onboard one, located in my down pipe.

ahh ok

lol you weren't clear on that on your post :)

· Banned
797 Posts
figgie said:
ahh ok

lol you weren't clear on that on your post :)

I realized that, after your post :)

Another point to consider, albeit a minor one, is that the AEM can run closed loop off the wideband, which allows the use of "lean burn" maps. John told me he typically only sees a 1-2 MPG improvement on twin cars, but he has a local 500RWHP/pump gas PT67 car getting 27MPG on the highway using this strategy!

Ken

· Fan of Stock Twins
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Yes, the thread started with a question specific to a stock Supra.

But the info being shared here (especially from KBlake) is good! There are plenty of past threads about the AEM EMS & single turbo setups, but no info really exists for stock-twin setups....whether that setup be completely stock or BPU.

I'm interested to know both.
Then I'll analyze my goals, etc. and decide whether I should jump straight to APU or go the more pragmatic BPU -> APU route.
Understanding the role an AEM EMS can play in all stages of the way is just one more piece of information I can use to make a good decision.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.