Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been meaning to clean my stock intercooler for quite some time but I always seem to forget or put it off. It's always seemed like a good idea, I'm sure there's a lotta crap in mine(16yrs old). Anyone have a noticeable power increase after cleaning their intercooler? What kind of cleaning solution should I use? I need a kick in the ass to clean mine up, maybe this will help!!

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,995 Posts
Uh.... I don't know about the gas trick... **Indian Fire trick**

I think, by this time, your core maybe just aged with dirt and just plain age...

Cleaning the fins will let air pass better, causing cooler air.. think about how well your stock radiator held up... and if you ever had over heating problems caused by it...

Our stuff is pretty good, but when upping the boost, things start to break.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So gas in the inside? I thought I heard of that before, what about a degreaser or solvent? I've got quite the oil build up on the inside of the stock intercooler pipe(fender one) so I'm sure there's a lot of crap in the intercooler itself. I really need to change to hardpipes soon too!!

·
Blackzilla
1,579 Posts
use, gas it's safer than any solvent you can get. wash it out 3 or 4 times and it's clean as new. watch out for the fumes

·
...make that none again
1,932 Posts
Definitely clean it with gas. You'll be amazed how black it'll come out the first few times you rinse it out. Keep doing it until the gas comes out clean.

F

·
0 Posts
Then jsut stick a vacuum cleaner in one end to dry it out. I reversed the flow on mine so it was blowing through the IC to avoid the chance f blowing it up when the vacuum sucks the fumes into the unit past the hot motor. Took less than 15mins to dry out.

G

·
0 Posts
I was talking to a girl on the phone one night and was getting bored(i wasnt doing any of the talking) so i got under the supra and started straightning the fins.... 30 min later i had straighter fins and she was out of breath. Everything worked out great. As for performance i didnt notice any thing.

·
Registered
400 Posts
yes i spent a couple of hours one day just striaghtning the
fins.....it looked like a cemetery of insects in there!
and also did the gas trick but mine was clean as heck!
couldnt believe it.
but no noticable power....just one less thing to worry about...

L

·
0 Posts
mdcmotorsports said:
Forget the gas trick... especially if you live in a EPA happy area such as Canada....
Go to you local radiator shop and have them boil it for a day.
You will be happy with the results.
That dose sound like a good idea.

Two years ago I cleaned mine with gas. Then washed it with a hose big time. Then let it dry for couple of days.
If you need a hand with it let me know Greg
Allan

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
i was spitting oil outta my bov like crazy....i had a bad turbo for about a day in my car and i figured it was due to that...pulled the ic off and dumped about a quart of oil outta it...lol...use some brake cleaner and a hose....cleaned it right up...no more oil spitting and a nice clean intercooler :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanx for your responses, I think I'll go with the gas/shop-vac(reversed) trick. Although I might look into that rad boiling thing!!

Thanks again

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good point bro, where do you find catch cans, I've never shopped for one before.

Thanks

·
Rooftop Sniper
2,545 Posts
I didn't want to play with gas, so I just cleaned up the ic with water, let it dry, and watched tv while picking the damn flies out of the fins with toothpicks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts