Supra Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warning....long rant
Berkshire Performance Group located in Pittsfield, MA.... :die:
I responded to an ad placed here on SF in regards to a used motor and auto transmission for a TT Supra in late March, the ad was later pulled by a mod(should have been a sign) because the shop was a non-sponsor. The ad was placed by an individual who worked at Berkshire Performance Group and was listing the motor/tranny for the shop owner who was selling it because he was buying/installing a built motor and 6spd. I contacted the seller at the shop phone # listed in his profile to confirm it was still available. He said it was and that he needed a deposit to secure it. I paypal'd the deposit to the shops paypal account on March 29, 2006. He told me they would begin pulling the motor/tranny immediately and then call me when it's out so I can send the remaining balance and once the check clears they'll ship it. He anticipated about 1 week to pull and pallet the motor/tranny. I didn't hear anything after a week so I called and he said some stuff came up and it was taking longer.
I received a call about 1 week later telling me the motor was ready and to send the check. I sent the check. The check cleared my account on April 19, 2006. The shop employee called me to tell me the motor was ready to ship, he just needed to get a shipping quote. A couple days later he called back to tell me that shipper came, but the motor/tranny were not strapped correctly and the shipper would not take it. He told me the owner was going to have to strap the motor down, but he didn't have straps. Just about everyday the shop employee would call me and tell me the motor is still there and the owner has not gotten the straps. This went on for several weeks until the employee and the owner had a falling out and he left around the beginning of May. I was informed of this by the owner when I called to check on the motor/tranny. He said the employee screwed him over and messed a lot of things up, but he would get the motor/tranny out to me the next day. I said great, call me w/ a tracking #. The next day, no call. I call him and he's not in. This goes on for ~3 weeks. I call the cell#, no answer and no voice mail. I call the 2 shop #'s, either he's on the other line or not in the office. He never returns my calls. In fact, when I call and ask to speak w/ him the girl says "Sure. Can I tell him who's calling?" I tell her my name and all of a sudden it's, "Ohhhh, I think he left already!". I finally get ahold of him again ~June 5. He tells me some things have come up, but he's ordered the straps(actually says he's paid to have them overnighted) and they should have been there that day, but if not, the next day for sure. I tell him this is rediculous and just ship the damn motor/tranny and call me w/ the tracking #. He says sure, but again, no call or motor/tranny. I can't get ahold of this guy :madf:
BTW, the former shop employee has called me almost daily to see if I've received the motor/tranny.
I don't believe I'm being scammed. I think there is a motor/tranny, but the owner is an idiot. He's having some $$$ issues(as reported by the former employee and the his own wife who answers the phone sometimes at the shop) and my theory is he doesn't have $$$ to buy the new motor/6spd, doesn't have $$$ to refund me and probably hopes I just go away.
I've contacted my CC company's, the BBB and consumer advocates. I've also filed a police report w/ my local police, but they told me it's a civil matter. I called his local police and they told me the same thing. I guess I need a lawyer. Anyone here a lawyer and want to write up an intimidating legal document?
Sorry for the rant :soapbox:
If anyone is in the Pittsfield, MA area and would like to help please contact me via PM or [email protected]

·
Banned
724 Posts
how about taking a (long)trip with a truck to the shop and picking up your parts? or have someone local pick it up for you! hope you get it resolved...

**TOYO engines usually can be removed from vehicle within 5 hrs!!

·
93 Hardtopper
834 Posts
Uhhh, cops should have something to do about a civil matter. Thats weird.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kazumaTRD said:
how about taking a (long)trip with a truck to the shop and picking up your parts? or have someone local pick it up for you! hope you get it resolved...

**TOYO engines usually can be removed from vehicle within 5 hrs!!
Supposedly the motor is already out and sitting on a pallet. I have a truck and an engine lift.....I have considered the road trip. I'm just afraid that when I show up, he won't be there. I also tried to schedule a pick up myself w/ a company that will pack it and ship it. He told me that wasn't necessary as he had the straps coming. Not to mention the fact that he might not be there when they show up.

·
Moderator, Live life to the fulllest
1,764 Posts
just fucking show up one day and pick it up!! Shit i would have had done that RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING!!

·
Alpha for president
1,113 Posts
bring a bat....lump him up a little...then say "thats for making wait so damn long" :bigthumb:

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
97Tdawg said:
just fucking show up one day and pick it up!! Shit i would have had done that RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING!!
This plan is in the works, but it's not easy when you have 2 kids at home and the wife works weekends. Not to mention an endless honey-do list....
Ahhh to be young again.....

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
runs11's said:
bring a bat....lump him up a little...then say "thats for making wait so damn long" :bigthumb:

he'd be lucky if there was even someone there.

You could simply have a SF member stop by snap some pix of the motor, if the place even exists. If there isn't one to be seen, call a lawyer, thug or whomever and get the ball rolling!

This should have been resolved a long time ago. Back before this thread was deleted and before it was supposedly sold, I offered to go pick this motor up for $900 more than his asking price, with cash. You know what the reply was? There was none, most likely because I was too local.

You know what I'm sayin?

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried to get a SF member to go by, but no one responded to my thread in the NE section.
According to my local source. The owner opened BPG just so he could buy parts at wholesale for his personal car. He doesn't do much business through there, except for selling cars. He owns another business that is his $$$ maker. This business is listed, has a phone and is answered every day I call. He just never returns the calls.
BTW, why did you offer $900 more than his asking price???

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
because I would drive over there, saving me $400 in shipping costs, and for the price he was asking, $900 extra should have ensured I got the motor.

You have to wonder why he would say no to someone who had offered $900 more, payment in cash and pickup the next day.....

·
Guidando su due rotelle
1,908 Posts
Damn Scott sorry to hear... i to have been ripped of from some idiot in the NE.

BTW long time no see bro, how the hewll are things

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
98mkiv said:
because I would drive over there, saving me $400 in shipping costs, and for the price he was asking, $900 extra should have ensured I got the motor.

You have to wonder why he would say no to someone who had offered $900 more, payment in cash and pickup the next day.....
You would think that, but who knows....
At this point I believe there is a motor, he's just an idiot and hasn't shipped it. I can still reach his business, although he won't talk to me, and the several different ppl who have answered the phone have confirmed there is a motor sitting on a pallet in the office....for what that's worth. The BBB and the Pittsfield Police have both attempted to contact him and my CC company was notified a long time ago, so I feel pretty safe at this point in regards to my $$$.
We'll see what happens in the next couple weeks.
Beef said:
Damn Scott sorry to hear... i to have been ripped of from some idiot in the NE.

BTW long time no see bro, how the hewll are things
Wassup Beef? We're good here, minus the motor/tranny thing. I picked up a project MKIV and will hopefully have her on the road this summer. BTW, no McDonald's colors this time :1poke:
Talk at ya later.

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shane...wassup?
I ended up driving up there and taking it. Rick wouldn't return my calls(for over 45 days at this point), so I called the shop and spoke w/ an employee to find out when they'd be around, but didn't tell him I was coming. I felt Rick would intentionally not be there if he knew I was coming. My bro-in-law and I left early to make sure we got there when they opened to improve our chances of having someone there. We got there ~9am and noticed a vehicle parked out front. It ends up being the employee(James I think) I spoke w/ on the phone earlier in the week. I think he was pretty startled when we pulled up, jump out and rolled into the shop. He asked who I was and I told him who I was and that I'm here to pick up my motor. He was a little confused and called Rick. In the meantime I started assembling my engine lift. Of course Rick wanted to speak w/ me now! He asked what I was doing there and I told him I was picking up my motor I paid for 3 1/2 months ago. He apologized, whined a little about some shit and I hung up. He proceeded to call back 3-4 more times while we were loading the motor/tranny into the truck to whine, but I kept telling him I was busy and hanging up. We were outta there in under ~45 minutes start to finish :fawk:
Overall it was a very satisfying ending. I got my motor/tranny, Rick refunded my $500 deposit and I'm pretty sure Rick and the employee needed to change their underwear afterwards :urowned:

·
spitting flames @ v8's
101 Posts
sweet bro im glad it worked out. that was some serious b.s going down have you installed/fired/inspected engine? come to find out it has a bad head gasket!!!!! (stated by owner ect.)

·
OG SF Member #603
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SRA-MK4 said:
sweet bro im glad it worked out. that was some serious b.s going down have you installed/fired/inspected engine? come to find out it has a bad head gasket!!!!! (stated by owner ect.)
What are you saying? It has a blown HG?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts