Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best 19" Tires?

I have Pirelli P-Zero's and need to replace them.

I have 19 X 10's in the back with 275-30-19's.

I want something that will launch better.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Bridgestone Pole Position SO3s. Great tires, just got a set and love them.

Adam

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was looking at those on Tire Rack.
They have some good reviews.
Are they loud?

·
0 Posts
I also have the SO3's. There's a little road noise but not bad at all, considering the performance you get from them. They hold like crazy:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Get a wider tire like a 305/25R19 Pirelli. I think Pirelli has one of the softest compounds among the 19" tires. Did you try lowering your tire pressure?

Flavio

·
Registered
62 Posts
I used to run Yokohama AVS Sports...I would recommend them to anyone. Pretty good combination of price/performance/longevity.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
demon said:
I used to run Yokohama AVS Sports...I would recommend them to anyone. Pretty good combination of price/performance/longevity.
I had a Yoko AVS sport blow out on me on the highway. It just separated at the inner seam. They were fairly worn though, but I didn't have much love for these tires. I would say the SO3s kick their ass pretty good in all areas. Only MHO.

Adam

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flavio said:
Get a wider tire like a 305/25R19 Pirelli. I think Pirelli has one of the softest compounds among the 19" tires. Did you try lowering your tire pressure?

Flavio
Is that what size you use?

Does it ever rub?

I also want to get H&R spacers like you, where did you buy them?

Did they come with the studs?

·
Registered
362 Posts
T78supra said:

Is that what size you use?

Does it ever rub?

I also want to get H&R spacers like you, where did you buy them?

Did they come with the studs?
I currently have 275/30 but will have the 305/25 within a couple of weeks, I've waited for them for almost a year!

I don't think they will rub, but I'll know for sure when I've fitted them. I have my fenders worked a bit as well.

The H&R spacers came with the longer studs. Any shop that sells H&R springs should be able to get them.

Flavio

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You do realize by going with a wider tire with more surface area it will remain cooler and probably have less traction than a 275.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Adrocktt said:
Bridgestone Pole Position SO3s. Great tires, just got a set and love them.

Adam
Are those HRE's 19"?

I saw your pics, love your car.

It's my favorite one on this board.

Here's a pic of mine.

The hood scoop is now painted gunmetal (same color as the inside of my 97 head/tail lights).
And it now has a Stillen front soon to be painted.

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
H&R doesn't make longer studs for the MKIV if I do recall.

If you have a source for them, please let me know.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
T78supra said:

Are those HRE's 19"?

I saw your pics, love your car.

It's my favorite one on this board.

Here's a pic of mine.

The hood scoop is now painted gunmetal (same color as the inside of my 97 head/tail lights).
And it now has a Stillen front soon to be painted.
Yes they are HRE 545 19s. Thanks very very much for the kind words. I am glad you painted the scoop, it is the only thing on the car I didn't like. Love the Dronel wheels. They look sweet. Try the SO3s, cheap and I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The 285/30/19s are what I have but check your offset to make sure they fit.

Adam

·
Registered
118 Posts
I love the SO-3 tire. The best tires out yet, and for 19 inch size the price was better than I though they would be.

T78supra -

You’re the only other Supra that I have seen that has the Dronell Type 1. When did you get them? Looks very nice! I also would like to know if you too had to roll the rear fender?

B

·
0 Posts
Where the fuck did you get that idea? Thats one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.....

T78supra said:
You do realize by going with a wider tire with more surface area it will remain cooler and probably have less traction than a 275.

·
100% Stock
124 Posts
T78supra said:
Huh....wider tire=larger contact patch(being that they are same tire)=more traction. I don't know where you came up with the heat theory either....

·
3,148 Posts
Given the weight of your car and the tire pressure remain constant, the surface area (foot print) will not increase or decrease. You are mearly changing the shape of the footprint to be wider and shorter. But you will not increase your straight line traction by going from a 285 to a 305. The cornering traction is another story :)

Later, Steve

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Brad Mayo said:
Where the fuck did you get that idea? Thats one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.....

This is a common tire fact.

Increasing tire width will decrease tire surface temperature because the load is spread out over more tire.

Everyone I have ever raced with whether it be Porsche Club of America, SCCA, or One lap of America has known this.

Bigger is not always better.

This is especially true with R1's

We would have to run 3 psi less in a 255 than a 245 just to keep the tires in operating temp (we would measure them with a temp gun after each warm up lap).

The lower pressure would make the tire a little unstable on fast straights so we would use the 245's on fast tracks (Lime Rock) unless the track temp was over 100 degrees then the 255's were OK.

Their are alot of variables.

Of course you may not have this problem, You can just adjust your roof scoop for more downforce right? lol

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BoostedToy said:

Huh....wider tire=larger contact patch(being that they are same tire)=more traction. I don't know where you came up with the heat theory either....

?????????????????????

Are you saying that a cold tire has the same traction as warm tire?

Or that a wider tire will run as warm as a skinnier tire?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts