Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
3,148 Posts
I personally like the Veilside hood (even though I don't like the body kit that much). Please no hood pins. :rolleyes:

Later, Steve

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
648 Posts
I like the new Top Secret Hood. I don't think anyone here in the US has one yet, but I've ssen a couple of pics of Japanese Supras with it and it looks sweet...Darshana S...

·
Registered
32 Posts
PartsForSale said:
i like the TRD hood, it is the best and unique
If you think a couple triangles cut out of the stock hood is unique, that's up to you. I would not pay $1300 for that.

Veilside hoods fit the best. You can get them for $600 from Chris at SP Engineering.

·
Registered
922 Posts
What are the chances of someone's head getting chopped off by the hood since it doesn't have the security hooks installed.

Anyone actually crashed with a fiberglass hood on their car?

·
Poser Extraordinaire
350 Posts
Actually someone in the bay area has the Top Secret hood in carbon fiber....$$$$$

Ting

Supraman16 said:
I like the new Top Secret Hood. I don't think anyone here in the US has one yet, but I've ssen a couple of pics of Japanese Supras with it and it looks sweet...Darshana S...

C

·
0 Posts
It's interesting that this topic has come up. I am actually looking into either getting a new hood or a Fludyne.

Does anyone have any opinion on the effectiveness of both on cooling?

What about the pro's and con's of having a fiberglass hood?

Is the Velaside hood durable (to rocks, etc)? What about more water getting into the engine compartment because of the extra vents?

How much should it cost to have the front fenders, bumper, and a Velaside hood installed and painted?

ALSO Fittment. I saw some pictures of an installed Velaside Hood and they have larger gaps on each side than the stock hood. Anyone opinions on these larger gaps?

Most importantly, is it really that dangerous to remove those safty clips from the stock hood?

Thanks for all your help. I was just about to post a new thread about this until I noticed that one had alread been done :).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Jon, get the fluidyne. If you still have problems consider other measures. At least its been proven to work, no ones really done any measuring of coolant temps w/ aftermarket hoods AFAIK.

C

·
0 Posts
It might be more cost effective since I want to get my front end repatined anyway to get an aftermarket hood. That's what sucks about living outside of town, lots and lots of rock chips.

M

·
0 Posts
Jon, get the high-capacity radiator, and remove the rubber weather strip that seals the hood, on top of the firewall. It should work great, and keep temps down.....and defrost the windshield in the process LOL

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
H
what are the best aftermarket hoods out there?
I don't claim to have an answer ,take it as you please. Most of you may think the ones from Japan are over priced, but there is much more to it. The original purpose for the Japanese body kits is not just for looks, but also function and design. Some think HKS is overpriced....well why can't any other company build unit similar to a VPC? To me an HKS Stainless Steel Turbo Tuned Header is not the same as any other Stainless Steel Turbo Header. When producing power and speed you build tremendous underhood heat and air pressure. If you can't eliminate the excessive pressure under the hood this restricts the airflow from coming in. The stock Supra front bumper has a fairly small opening which was originally designed for an intercooler off to the side, not in front. Putting a large FMIC in front can only restrict and reduce the air-flow cooling capabilities, unless you create a larger opening. This is one of the biggest reasons why racing/custom front bumpers were ever developed. Not to mention brake cooling,aerodynamics, etc...The efficiency of any radiator, stock or not, is only limited to the amount of air flow that passes through. But say that you've opened up the front , now you need to be able to exhaust that air coming in. Kinda like running big turbos through a stock exhaust system. This is where vented hoods play an important role in building power. As Monster suggested, even removing the rear seal can make a big difference. It seems cutting holes in the hood would help, but it's not that simple. Under high speeds the pressure going over the hood actually prevents the air-flow from coming out. On well designed cut-outs there is a leading raised lip which creates a vacum as the air-flow passes over ... this pulls the heat and air out from under the hood. Attached are 2 fine examples of this. BTW I weighed that NEW TopSecret CarbonFiber hood. Would you believe only 7LBS!!!against the stock hood at approx. 27LBS. These hoods also retain use of the stock safety catches and hinges. The Trial uses the factory latching mechanism up front and the TopSecret requires hood pins.

D

·
0 Posts
yea im wondering too! :D Those cf TS hoods are da bomb man. Shit I want one...:eek:

·
Registered
134 Posts
i think that top secret hood looks bad azz. but how many know of the Veilside dry carbon hood? same design as their other hood but weights about 5 pnds. Dry carbon is what real race cars used, it's actually baked in an Auto Clav...very expensive process. I think veilside carbon hood is like $4g's, and its not the type of cf that you leave unpainted.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts