Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, in the near future im going to be doing a full audio system setup... ill be making a custom fiberglass box for the rear seat delete, two 12 inch Alpine SWR-1222D subs, a JL Audio Amp... and i want to replace all of the speakers... what type of speakers would you guys prefer? I just want a good sounding speaker thats worth the money.
thanks

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
alot depends on your budget. if money isnt a problem i say Focals, Image Dynamics. If money is a problem, Alpine actually makes quite good mids and highs, so stick with Alpines. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Josh

·
Its Almost Easy
352 Posts
infinity makes some great speakers and very affordable. best for the money IMO. $105.00 for both front speakers

however, you will need to modify the speaker holes if you want aftermarket speakers in the stock enclosures. I had that issue and you will too. the problem is that its very difficult to find a tri-screw speaker and its not worth it even if you do.

your best bet is to buy 6 1/2", that really gets the best sound quality, youll need to double check because its been a while since i bought the speakers. It didnt look to be that hard of an installation. Dont ask me what i did because i watched the guy at best buy do it for me (lol. b/c im wire-handicaped to put it nicely).

I also see your baby is a 93 like mine. I told the local electronics store i was a 1993 supra and they gave me the speakers for the mkiii, so tell them you own a 94.

Im guessing you put in your fair amount of research so the install will prob. go smoothly.
Good luck!

·
Slowly getting there
631 Posts
Okay, here I go again.

Spend all $300 of your speaker budget on the front speakers. If you tell me okay, you'll do it, but you could probably come up with another $50 to spend on rear speakers, I would tell you to spend all $350 on front speakers. And I will keep telling you this as your budget increases.

There are so many variables though. Go to your local small audio shops and bring a couple of your favorite CD's and just listen to speakers. If you are at a good shop they will let you. If you are at a bad shop they will try to sell you what they want to sell you. Get some listening hours under your belt first, then come back here and post your experiences and then we'll have a better understanding of what you really need.

P.S. Perfect year and color car BTW. Not that I'm biased or anything.

·
ESE CULO
2,962 Posts
Yup, front stage is most important. I'd spend all you have on the fronts, and than buy cheaper rears for rear fill that you shouldn't really hear. There are quite a few companies that you don't really hear about or see at mainstream stores that you can probably listen to.

·
Old School Bruiser
298 Posts
I agree. I had some nice Infinity 3-ways in my old car as the fronts, and the sound quality was amazing. I really would not concentrate to hard on the rears.

·
Lee's Car Stereo-Cen Cal
308 Posts
Okay, here I go again.

Spend all $300 of your speaker budget on the front speakers. If you tell me okay, you'll do it, but you could probably come up with another $50 to spend on rear speakers, I would tell you to spend all $350 on front speakers. And I will keep telling you this as your budget increases.

There are so many variables though. Go to your local small audio shops and bring a couple of your favorite CD's and just listen to speakers. If you are at a good shop they will let you. If you are at a bad shop they will try to sell you what they want to sell you. Get some listening hours under your belt first, then come back here and post your experiences and then we'll have a better understanding of what you really need.

P.S. Perfect year and color car BTW. Not that I'm biased or anything.
:werd: :werd: :werd:
dude u have a supra!!!!!!!!!!! not a hyundai............
imo i would not put cheap speakers " yes infinity is cheap/affordable, kicker,fosgate and so on........you want some thing for your money get focal,morel or rainbow.....go to ur local mom and pop stereo shop not best buy or walmart
the bigger stores have cheaper prices but the smaller stores have better quailty products and better staging setups.......
like the other guy says bring a couple of ur best cds/songs in audio format not ipod or mp3...."better sound in audio format" have the sales professional " not walmart clerk" show you what is the best they have to offer in your price range.. not the best they carry.........one thing i hate most working at a stereo shop is peopl will come in and say " what the best subs u have or speakers???" - depends on the type of music you listen to!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i myself have focal 165 k2p in the front and rear...powered by tru technology amp
(rated at 50 watts rms x 4) and it is studio quilty sound!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Slowly getting there
631 Posts
Actually I'll differ slightly from ^^^. I always showed/ demo'd the most expensive speaker setup in the store first. I did this because I wanted it to be the reference speaker for my customers' ears. Then, I would have them listen to something else, and see if we could hear any differences, and to see if those differences were big enough that the 2nd speakers weren't going to cut it, or small enough that the price increase was not justified.

And I would keep doing this, until in the customer's mind the gap between the sound quality, was better than the gap in the price, and that they were assured that they at that point truly got the best speaker for their money.

So for sure, listen to the best most expensive speakers the store carries, and try to figure out for yourself why they would be so good and so expensive. And after listening to that Speaker A, go listen to Speaker B. And then go back to A. And then to C. And then back to A. Don't compare B to C or C to D. Always compare to the reference, A, until you can say to yourself "Hey, this Speaker G, is pretty good sounding compared to A, and it's only 27% of the cost. I like these best."

Just a suggestion.

P.S. Using this method I have had plenty of people drop $800 on a set of components, and plenty of people drop $80, and both walked out of my store completely happy, and either gave me their repeat business or referred a friend to me. So it served me well.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Slowly getting there
631 Posts
Try not to care what we think of speakers. We're stupid faceless internet people. Go listen to them first-hand with your own CD's that you like and get the best opinion, yours. While you're listening, don't be afraid to listen to a whole song or two to get a feel for them. Some speakers sound absolutely amazing at first but can get fatiguing to your ears after extended listening periods. Remember, you're the customer, so if you get salespeople coming in and bugging you tell them you want to listen to the whole song first, and if they start pressuring you just ignore them. This is your investment, not theirs. The time to utilize a good salesperson is after you've gotten comfortable with what you're hearing and need their ears to help fine-tune yours. A good salesperson is a consultant, not a price discounter.

And don't forget when listening, reference speaker A/ then lesser speaker B/ then back to A, C/A, D/A. People have terrible "ear" memory so if I were to put a $10 paper cone to your ears as your system, over a short period of time your brain will convince you that it sounds great. And if I teill you it cost $10 your brain will think it sounds amazing for being only $10. So stick with one reference, that you always go back to, in whatever store you are in.

As far as size goes I had to twist and bend a little but was able to fit 6.75 MB Quart Q series in the doors. I'm the worst guy to ask for opinions for another reason, my speakers aren't even powered, they're just there to fill the hole in the panel.

I am eyeing a different setup in there so some day, 10 months from now I'll actually put something in there that plays music.

Back to your post- your opinion matters. Some people like hard midbass, some want crisp tweets, so use your music and your ears.

Ah crap I just fell off my apple crate. Sermon over.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts