Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have an HKS EVC-EZ in my car which works fine, except I miss having two boost settings like my Profec-b. Someone is interested in buying my EVC-EZ, so I thought it might be a good idea to sell it and try something different. I need something that will work reliably up to 36psi. I don't really care about any of the features like the volt meter or built in boost gauge, etc; I already have that stuff taken care of. I've played around with a Blitz dual-solenoid in my friend's car, but it seemed pretty tricky to set just right. Any recommendations?

-Paul

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi traxon,

The kind of boost controller you get depends on what you want. The HKS EZ is probably the easiest to use, followed by the Profec B.

The Blitz DSBC and SBC-id need to be played around with until you find the right settings. With stock twins, I can only use the manual mode on the SBC-id so I have to input a set and a gain, but once I get that straight I have total control over how the turbo is boosting (how much and how fast). With single, you may be able to use the auto feature, and the SBC-id is good up to 36psi.

If you use it with the power meter id you can boost according to speed (4 different settings) so you should be able to minimize tire spin at low speeds (better launches at the track, etc.).

By the way, this is Ash with the black Supra, we met up at the Englishtown meet last May (I was stock then). I heard you'll be coming down again so I'll see you.

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
do a search, i have the blitz dsbc now know as the dual sbc spec r and ill say its the best but is it true ?

but then again so is the SBC-id
The sbc-id unit can read boost in PSI, bar, KPA, kg/cm2 (dsbc spec r cant do this it only reads in kpa but thats almost the same as bar). These readings can be displayed in a digital and graphical display.
boththe sbc-id and the dual sbc specr boost controller have four programmable and automatic function, built in boost gauge, peak boost display, boost warning, scramble boost, and a boost limiter safety feature to prevent over boosting. For better boost response this unit uses a boost up to 2.5bar (36psi).

hks ez and profect b are good since there simple units but dont have these options ....

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
i'll take the evc ezoff your hands =)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Derek, I remember you mentioning that before. What your using can utilize both ports on an external WG without spiking? I'm sure your aware of that the slow response of the WG can lead to spiking with manual controllers (I currently use a MBC, ~1.5 psi spike, I'm going to try a larger relief hole).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I really like the Apexi AVC-R. It's just not something that you can set and forget, though. I've also heard its not particularly well suited to the sequential stock turbos. But, the things I like about it are:

1. Gear based boost --7psi in 1st gear, 12psi 2nd, 13psi in 4th, etc. This allows you to dial in as much boost as your tires can hold in each gear independently. You can take off a few tenths by not braking loose.

2. RPM based boost -- The stock ECU retards timing under WOT above a certain RPM...5000? At this point, since the timing is retarded, you can dial in more boost in the 5000-7000rpm range without detonating. Most boost controllers won't allow you to dial up more boost as rpm increases.

3. There are two complete separate profiles you can set. 1 for race gas, one for pump gas. These profiles both have there own rpm and gear based variables as well.

4. Data logging. Keep track of any boost spikes, see your boost response, log many data points. Makes easier to see. Will hold the peak boost # for you.

Just my .02.
I'm sure there are many on the board that have had issues with this controller as far as ease of use.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i wanted to get the blitz sbc-id Version 2 and i wanted to get the extra part that lets you read a/f and other things that the ecu is reading and i want to know how acurrate these readings are. because gauges cost a lot of money i would rather just get the sdc i-d and be done with it.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My vote goes to the Apexi AVCR. Many don't like it but it holds boost steady on my car. Not the easiest to set up though but worth it when you're done.

Later,

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
sam b. said:
i wanted to get the blitz sbc-id Version 2 and i wanted to get the extra part that lets you read a/f and other things that the ecu is reading and i want to know how acurrate these readings are. because gauges cost a lot of money i would rather just get the sdc i-d and be done with it.
i need an answer on this

·
Registered
194 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference is between the sbc-id version 1 and 2? I just got version 1 and will be pissed off if I could have gotten something that performed better for the same price:mad: Thanks for any help and sorry for getting off the subject.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
i think it is the same thing just a different look. i could be wrong though. did you get the harness that lets you see the a/f ratio and other stuff that the ecu is seeing? if you did tell me if it is accurate.

·
Cope, the dip of champs!
267 Posts
youre not going to get an accurate a/f ratio with a 50 buck harness. youre going to need a wideband if you want something accurate.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts