Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brake discs are people using on their MkIII Supra Turbos. I have an '89 and i get severe brake fade after I have been driving it hard for a few tight corners. The calipers have been re-conditioned and ive replaced the pads and had the old discs skimmed. Has anybody else experienced this? What would you recommend, better discs, higher temp pads, both? Thanks

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I would get an up grade similar to the supra sport brake package. Drilled rotors, and high performance pads should help. If you are really driving hard Go with a full big brake kit, but expect to pay almost $2,000 for it. BTW discs is not the correct word, they are called rotors, not tryin to punk, just tryin to help everyone stay on the same page.

~scott

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Our rotors are not exactly "small." The biggest problem with our braking system is the calipers. Single or double piston, I don't recal which.

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Good point blackout, but brake fade is caused by excessive heat, not poor clamping force.

~scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well if they're getting hot which they obviously are would you think some high temperature pads what do the job? i think new disks are in order though anyway. we call them discs in uk, but i should have thought of the difference before i posted it on a US biased site lol, you know what i mean though. thanks

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
Oh thats my bad, I didnt look to see that your from out of the US. Discs, rotors its all the same. Any ways, High temp pads help, but you will really notice a difference with some nice drilled and or slotted rotors.

~scott

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the rotors have been skimmed and are due again really, they have a nice groove in them from the pads. what rotors would you recommend me to look at? ive heard things about fracturing of the rotor from the drilling points and ive also heard of grooved rotors eating through pads. which is the lesser of the two evils!

·
JZA70 448 rwhp everyday
2,994 Posts
I have drilled rotors on my mustang, because its light, only weighs 2700 lbs. For heavier cars IE my old mercedes and my supra i use slotted rotors. I don't recall them eating pads any faster than normal cars when pads designed for slotted / drilled rotors are used. I would see if ATE makes rotors for the supra. Thats what I used for my mercedes. I havent had to do a brake job on my supra yet so i cant comment on where to find slotted rotors, im sure some one else will chime in.

~scott

G

·
Im using brembo Cross-drilled and slotted that I had made in CA, two months before they were all over Ebay for half the price :(
For Pads Im using Hawk Ceramics

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
bencrook said:
What brake discs are people using on their MkIII Supra Turbos. I have an '89 and i get severe brake fade after I have been driving it hard for a few tight corners. The calipers have been re-conditioned and ive replaced the pads and had the old discs skimmed. Has anybody else experienced this? What would you recommend, better discs, higher temp pads, both? Thanks
I recommend a big brake upgrade. :) :bigthumb: The 13" Fastbrakes kit with 6-piston wilwood calipers and the adapters should do the trick nice. ;)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh yeah. i wonder why they arn't on the fastbrakes site though. unfortunately I need a UK stockist but thanks anyway. abit too much money at the moment i think. i'll just go with some better rotors and higher temp pads, not sure which though yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts