Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 5 bolt are supposed to be better than 3 bolt. But if you use loctite, does it matter? Any brand lighter or better? And any opinions on both vs exhaust only. Everything I've read says only do exhaust. Thanks

·
boost is good
772 Posts
hey whats up man? ive got an hks exhaust side only cam gear. i put it in the same time with my clutch so i couldnt really tell a difference. if i were you ide go ahead and put both the cam gears in, i wish i would have just done that. it looks pretty shitty with only 1 and i plan on cutting the spark plug cover out so you can see the cam gears, so im put the intake side in this winter. ive had no problems with the hks slipping either, and its only a 3 bolt.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have had both AEM cam gears in since I went BPU+ and they have never slipped.. I believe they are 3 bolt and with both in it looks good.
Jeff

·
boost is good
772 Posts
Six-n-twins said:

Hey gritsak, hows the big single running?
hey, not too bad...i havent driven it for a few weeks because i sold my stock wheels and am getting some volks. after i sell my civic i might be in your area again if i have defcon put the fuel system in. if i do we will have to meet up, ill let you know..

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
I also have the Unorthodox Racing 5 bolt cam gears. They do look damn good (polished)... I haven't heard of anyone having problems with the 3 bolt AEM but i have heard of ppl stripping the AEM bolts...

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Anyone have installed pics of the UR Tr 5-bolt polished cam gears? I am thinking of getting a set to match my UR polished accessory pullies. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator, Piss me off. I dare you.
12,619 Posts
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!

Thanks, Andi. You are so cool it should be illegal! ;)

L

·
0 Posts
A bit off topic but seeing Andi's engine bay made me think of mine...Will split crankcase hoses affect performance? I have mine taped back together after I split the suckers taking them off for a spark plug change. What exactly do the two hoses do?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
LythiumRuSH said:
A bit off topic but seeing Andi's engine bay made me think of mine...Will split crankcase hoses affect performance? I have mine taped back together after I split the suckers taking them off for a spark plug change. What exactly do the two hoses do?
Replace the hoses... they connect the cam covers for the PCV / crankcase ventilation system.... Also replace the PCV valve preventatively IMHO.....

Andi

L

·
0 Posts
Thanks...I figured i'd have to replace them. However, are they supposed to be extraordinarily hard to take off? In fact, when I replaced my plugs, I just sort of jimmied them off with pry bar. Maybe causing them to split?

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
LythiumRuSH said:
Thanks...I figured i'd have to replace them. However, are they supposed to be extraordinarily hard to take off? In fact, when I replaced my plugs, I just sort of jimmied them off with pry bar. Maybe causing them to split?
They're easier to take off if the motor is warm... ;)

Andi

·
boost is good
772 Posts
LythiumRuSH said:
when they are older, the can get pretty stiff and dont want to flex much. just order a new set from toyota and you should be fine for quite a while, ive had my new ones for over a year and they have been tooken off at least 10 different time and they still flex really well anc come off easily

1 - 16 of 16 Posts