Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My v161 is removed right now clutch is stuffed, flywheel is okay.

So I have a few questions if I can get any answer of any from personal experience that would be great

What clutch to choose? I'm thinking southbend stage 3 endurance (drag or no?)

What do do with the flyhwheel? Resurface the OEM (how much?), or buy a lightweight flywheel?

Pressure plate, what's recommend for a pressure keep OEM? Or does the southbend clutch come with one?

I've heard dual mass flywheels are not that great, any input? Do I have to go dual mass clutch or can I go single mass clutch with the OEM duel mass flywheel?
I'm going to clean my tramission I've got a rear crankshaft seal going to do the tramission I would like it to hold 600hp, if I have to spend only a little extra id like this setup to handle 800hp. That being said I'm happy with 600 as the southbend clutch is only rated to about 600hp hence why I'm considering the 'drag' but I've read you loose a bit of the drivability as its a 5 puk clutch I believe which a lot of people bag 5 puks so I got turned of them

·
Registered
52 Posts
My v161 is removed right now clutch is stuffed, flywheel is okay.
What clutch to choose? I'm thinking southbend stage 3 endurance (drag or no?)

What do do with the flyhwheel? Resurface the OEM (how much?), or buy a lightweight flywheel?

Pressure plate, what's recommend for a pressure keep OEM? Or does the southbend clutch come with one?

I've heard dual mass flywheels are not that great, any input? Do I have to go dual mass clutch or can I go single mass clutch with the OEM duel mass flywheel?
I'm going to clean my transmission I've got a rear crankshaft seal going to do the transmission I would like it to hold 600hp, if I have to spend only a little extra id like this setup to handle 800hp. That being said I'm happy with 600 as the southbend clutch is only rated to about 600hp hence why I'm considering the 'drag' but I've read you loose a bit of the drivability as its a 5 puk clutch I believe which a lot of people bag 5 puks so I got turned of them

If you haven't read through THIS thread yet, I suggest you should. It's a good read. I read through and was active on it when i was making my decision on my clutch.

Anyways, if you daily drive or just drive your car on the streets, I'd recommend the stage 3 endurance. That's the clutch I chose since I daily my car.

As for the flywheel, If you get a light weight flywheel your car is gonna have that annoying loud rattle... I didn't want that noise or the embarrassment of having a really nice car and then when I pulled up to the drive threw window all you hear is rattle rattle rattle rattle... So with that in mind, I bought a new OEM Dual Mass Flywheel since I've heard you should never resurface the OEM Dual Mass Flywheel, even though some people do it and have had luck with it.
If your buying a new clutch, might as well just get everything new and not worry about anything right?

As for the pressure plate, the Southbend kit brings one, a nice one at that too. Pedal feel is just like the stock clutch, maybe 5% stiffer but it's unnoticeable.

If you get the dual mass flywheel then get the DMF clutch to go with it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lei
If you haven't read through THIS thread yet, I suggest you should. It's a good read. I read through and was active on it when i was making my decision on my clutch.

Anyways, if you daily drive or just drive your car on the streets, I'd recommend the stage 3 endurance. That's the clutch I chose since I daily my car.

As for the flywheel, If you get a light weight flywheel your car is gonna have that annoying loud rattle... I didn't want that noise or the embarrassment of having a really nice car and then when I pulled up to the drive threw window all you hear is rattle rattle rattle rattle... So with that in mind, I bought a new OEM Dual Mass Flywheel since I've heard you should never resurface the OEM Dual Mass Flywheel, even though some people do it and have had luck with it.
If your buying a new clutch, might as well just get everything new and not worry about anything right?

As for the pressure plate, the Southbend kit brings one, a nice one at that too. Pedal feel is just like the stock clutch, maybe 5% stiffer but it's unnoticeable.

If you get the dual mass flywheel then get the DMF clutch to go with it.
Thanks you very much that information was extremely helpful to me, I haven't read that thread yet but will be reading it all.
From what you said in pretty decided on buying a OEM dual mass flywheel no way I'm going a lightweight if I have to listen to more noises I hate them, and the southbend stage 3 endurance my only thought is I hope it holds 600hp no problem which it should.

I was going to resurface my flywheel but I'll look more into that I might buy a new one but there not cheap, how's your clutch setup still handling today? Happy? A lot of people seem really happy with southbend

·
Car guy
803 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I got my LUk flywheel from rock auto. same exact one as the original that came in my car. Under $300 and I'm also running the Southbend endurance clutch setup with the Kevlar disc. Cant go wrong with that package.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lei

Thanks you very much that information was extremely helpful to me, I haven't read that thread yet but will be reading it all.
From what you said in pretty decided on buying a OEM dual mass flywheel no way I'm going a lightweight if I have to listen to more noises I hate them, and the southbend stage 3 endurance my only thought is I hope it holds 600hp no problem which it should.

I was going to resurface my flywheel but I'll look more into that I might buy a new one but there not cheap, how's your clutch setup still handling today? Happy? A lot of people seem really happy with southbend
I'm extremely happy with my clutch. The first 100 miles was like learning to drive the car again as the clutch is very grabby, but 200 miles in and it'll start getting buttery smooth. When you finally get 500+ miles on the clutch without getting boost happy and the break in period is over, the clutch will feel super smooth and have the same pedal feel as stock.

In my opinion, you can't go wrong with this Southbend clutch. Just allow at least 500 miles without stressing or boosting the clutch and you'll be good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am running a NPC Twin Plate From Australia on my V161 with a concentric slave cylinder. It's the very same clutch i used my 8 second R32 GTR except the one on my Supra runs a sprung center not a solid. Clutch engagement and feel is very close to stock if not better i highly recommend them have been using them for the last 6 years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts