Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Oh I think they like me.
714 Posts
you can get a T400 with an overdrive kit.. it's going to be $$$ but i'm sure it will be worth it...

·
Registered
790 Posts
Expensive up front but cheaper in the long run because you won't be fixing it all the time.

-Ethan

·
488ci V10 Power
1,785 Posts
Wizaird said:
Has anyone done that setup yet?
not that i know of, but im thinking about it for this winter :D

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
Wizaird said:
Has anyone done that setup yet?
we have a car here in the shop with this exact set-up;) not my car though, so i wont give out any of the guys info.....all i will say is it is a 2jzgte powered vehicle(non supra) that should be making over 750 to the wheels once its done.. which hopefully will be within the next month.. were doing a roll bar in it, which will only take a couple days, the rest of the car still needs to be assembled by the tuner/builder..

jay

·
its a slow auto...
3,362 Posts
now that ive seen the unit in person and see its really not that big, i may wind up putting one in my supra over the winter..depends, or i may just wind up converting my car to a solid rear with a 4 link or ladder bar set and small tire...

jay

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have in my Supra a 4L80E tranny 4500 TC made by artcarr transmission that has OD with a digital display controller.....
Strong tranny for the track ... The car is till in development need some tuning on the dyno to hit the track but their is a Supra tune by South Florida Performance who has this setup that has rune many 10's passes and daily drive his car with no issue...

The only bad thing is you have to make space in your tranny tunnel for this tranny to fit ..............

G

·
Im a longtime diehard GM fan. I suggest the TH400 w/o the OD or cutting your trans tunnel for the 4L80E.

The gear vendors OD unit will be perfect for the TH400 on the freeway, but at the drags, its useless. The GV OD unit only engages above 20MPH. So useless for drags. Great for highway gear splitting/low revs though.

A guy at this forum http://www.pacific-audio.com/performance/discussion.html named James B. has a 500HP supercharged SUV. He went through a couple 4L60E transmissions (as we all have) and switched to a 4L80E recently. He ran the GV OD on both trans, so he has feedback on both. He actually built his own 4L80E and wired a standalone TCI controller to control it. The shifts are perfect, and no problems.

You could use a 4L80 transmission, or a 4L80E. The 4L80E is electronically conrolled, and coupled with the TCI controller would give you predictable perfect shifts. Its like tuning an engine with an AEM, except its transmission tuning. The 4L80, or TH400 option, would be non electronic. The non electronic 4L80 was only offered for a little bit, and would be much smarter to get the 4L80E + TCI controller in the long run. TH400 is the oldest of the bunch, and all mechanical.

Happy gearing.

Eric L.

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Stealth021 said:
The gear vendors OD unit will be perfect for the TH400 on the freeway, but at the drags, its useless. The GV OD unit only engages above 20MPH. So useless for drags. Great for highway gear splitting/low revs though.

Can you explain this part a little more, please? Why would you want the OD to engage below 20mph? I'm probably not understanding something elementary here...

·
Premium Member
4,109 Posts
Sound Performance said:
We have got the 4L80E to work and be shifted by the AEM computer. BUT...... you do need to cut the tunnel :(
Will it hold as much as a built 400?

G

·
Thanks SP for the feedback. I didnt know the AEM had transmission control as well. Nice!!!

"Can you explain this part a little more, please? Why would you want the OD to engage below 20mph? I'm probably not understanding something elementary here..."

Edit: Figured out how to quote Properly, I will do it properly next. Woo me, and site FAQ.

The thing is, you use the TH400 at the drags, as intended, and then use the GV OD unit on the freeway. All I was saying, is you cant use the OD in any way, shape or form, at the drags. Its a type of transmission unit (2:1) and weighs a hefty 100 lbs. or so. I guess it wouldnt serve a purpose at the drags, so my statement was sort of irellevant the more I think about it. I guess, you would never really need that much OD gearing below 20 mph, I guess GM tranny gearing and 3.73 or 4.10 or 4.56 gearing in the rear is enough. =) Sometimes the obvious escapes us all.

Eric L.

G

·
talltrini10 said:
Will it hold as much as a built 400?
The 4L80 is a physically larger unit than the TH400. It also is a 4gear OD trans. Lots of people think convertor lockup is a fourth gear. While it is an RPM change, lockup is not a gear. 4L80E is a 4gear trans. Thats why its large.

Go 4L80E. No regrets from James B. He has the 4L80E and GV OD combo on a 5300 LB. vehicle making 500 ft. lbs. tq. approx.

He says the 4L60E is no match for the 4L80E. 4L60 will die at 500HP.

Eric L.

G

·
Sound Performance said:
Considering the 4L80 is bacially a TH400 with OD.... yeah it will handle the HP!! They share a lot of parts!
4L80 is the mechanically controlled version. Dont forget to add 4L80E for the full electronic type. Also, they make two case designs. One is for the Gen 1 Vortec (96-99) engine, and is basically a standard SBC 350 tranny type.

In the camaros and vettes earlier, and then in the trucks in 99-present, the motor changed to the LS1 style (346 ci in the vette, 4.8, 5.3, 6.0 in trucks), and the bellhousing changed as well (7 bolts versus 6). The transmission for the LS1 style engines has an extra bolthole in it for the new block.

So, technically, there is the TH400, the 4L80 (OD TH400), and the 4L80E 6 bolt and 4L80E 7 bolt case.

For the 4L60E transmission, in the last few years for the LS1 engines, they have revised it to be the 4L65E transmission. The 65E's main differences are 5 pinion planetaries instead of 4 pinion, and many parts are stronger/revised.

Eric L.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Stealth021 said:
The thing is, you use the TH400 at the drags, as intended, and then use the GV OD unit on the freeway. All I was saying, is you cant use the OD in any way, shape or form, at the drags. Its a type of transmission unit (2:1) and weighs a hefty 100 lbs. or so. I guess it wouldnt serve a purpose at the drags, so my statement was sort of irellevant the more I think about it. I guess, you would never really need that much OD gearing below 20 mph, I guess GM tranny gearing and 3.73 or 4.10 or 4.56 gearing in the rear is enough. =) Sometimes the obvious escapes us all.

Eric L.
Your "obvious" is escaping me. You can very much so use the Gear Vendors OD unit at the drags. From your last comment, it sounds like you're assuming it underdrives the gearing. On a 3 spd transmission like the TH400, you ONLY engage the ON switch for the GV unit at the top of your final gear [IF you don't have enough rpms to make it through the traps]. That would be 3rd. It in turn acts as a fourth gear by overdriving the ratio before it meets your rear end.

John H

1 - 20 of 42 Posts