Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do you think are the best driver's cars, so to speak?

My recent test drive in a Lotus Exige certainly redefined how a street car could feel. You don't have to be going fast to have fun in that car. You feel constantly connected to the road. It's raw, it's noisy and it's fantastic.

What do you think are the best driver's cars out there that you have personally driven? Please do not go from hearsay or magazine tests. Pick some cars you've been behind the wheel of.

What makes it a "driver's" car? Telepathic steering feedback, razor sharp and quick handling, flat cornering, responsive powerplant, etc.

I find myself gravitating away from big power to big road handling fun more and more these days. Guess that's why I'm seriously considering selling my C6. It's a great car in every category (which is amazing in itself), except for handling/steering feel.

Here's my short list:

Lotus Elise/Exige - absolute tops
Acura NSX - might lack the power, but it was great fun to drive in the corners
Mazda RX7 R1 - rough as shit, but really communicated well. Nimble too.
C5 Z06 - lacked steering feedback, but still something magic about throwing it into a back country twisty.

Cars that let me down:

3000GT VR4 - Buick. Nuff said.
Supra - Never liked the steering feel in Supras. Way too slow and a lot of play.
Base C6 - I really want to like it. I do. I could try a different alignment and aftermarket suspension, but I don't know. We'll see. It seems more isolated and luxury car like compared to the C5 Z06.
350Z - Meh.

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,780 Posts
Porsche 951 for purest handling in a road car, ever. A 951 the type of car nobody will admit they like as all the one's left around today are badly abused and very cheap, they will still rip you a new one on any road course in the country. This is one of my favorite cars to drive, let the poseurs have their precious 911.

951 couples almost perfect balance and excellent ability to rotate around an axis. It is almost as if Porsche has spent the last ~25 years trying to fix a mistake by updating the 911 every generation.

Lotus Elise for biggest reason I don't need to be 6'+ or have feet.

e39 M5 for best sedan.

IB4 someone says e36 M3 or e30 M3; those cars were okay in their prime, but they are not on the level of some more recent base model Bimmers. The sedan though, that is a different story...

·
Banned
2,655 Posts
lightly moded 2005/2006 lancer MR

·
!black
4,625 Posts
Lotus 7 / Elise / Elan (if you can either fit in or find one)

I'm also a huge fan of the Esprit...but you have to be somewhat crazy to put up with them ;)

Triumph Spitfire and it's bigger TR6 cousin are fine roadsters, and offer great feel (IMHO).

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
lightly moded 2005/2006 lancer MR
+1.

1. any modded civic hatch with a b-series motor and teins is definetly a drivers car.

2. any of the BMW M series cars, and a lot of the 3 series cars are also drivers cars.

3. The EVO/STi are some serious drivers cars better than any of the aforementioned cars, regardless of trim or options.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Not one Ferrari on anybody's list? I recall test driving a '67 275 GTB in 1972 and I can still feel how great it felt then, the feedback from every aspect of it's performance.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
It's almost embarassing to add a FWD car to the list, but I'd say the 1997-2001 Acura Integra Type R qualifies. It's a drivers delight! :)

I've heard the BMW/Mini Cooper S should also make this list, but I've never had the pleasure of driving one (since I'm tossing out FWD cars for the list here). Cool thread BTW. :bigthumb:

Porsche 911 should make this list all day long from a rear engined car perspective, particularly "evil" variants like the GT3. Hehehe.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Porsche 911 should make this list all day long from a rear engined car perspective, particularly "evil" variants like the GT3. Hehehe.
I need more specifics on what the OP meant when he said "drivers car". The 911's are great cars, but they are only fast in the hands of very good drivers. It's not something that joe average can jump into and turn in good lap times with.

·
4,109 Posts
Miata
Noble M400
1997 Civic Si - Laugh if you want, but I really had a good time driving this car, I felt totally at ease from the get go
1997 Dinan M3

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
I interpreted the term "drivers car" to mean a car that was fun to drive and communicated what it was doing to the driver more than was "really fast" or "easy to drive fast". Hence the inclusion of the 911 on my list, which I'll admit is not an easy car to drive near it's limits.

Steve T.

I need more specifics on what the OP meant when he said "drivers car". The 911's are great cars, but they are only fast in the hands of very good drivers. It's not something that joe average can jump into and turn in good lap times with.

·
2012 GT-R LAWL
122 Posts
The FD is a great drivers car. I drove mine all last week while my Cooper S just sat. When I hopped back in the MINI I couldnt belive how bad the braking was, the steering feel just everything blah!! Its all relative though. The MINI is a sweet sweet car, just no FD.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts