Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm trying to build a track car and was wondering which engine would be BEST for this application, i'm after about 650whp and possiably more in future for what ever reasons. I plan on rebuilding any engine i get with forged internals. Moneys not the biggest issue, I'd concider any engine as long as i can easily get my hands on it(so please don't suggest a Ferrari engine or something cause i won't know where 2 find one). This is what I've come up with so far from my research.

2jz-gte is a obvious consideration, strong block, easily make high hp.

1uz another contender, more displacement also produces lots of power.

LS1 (iron block(iron block because i've read the aluminum block is only good up to 600hp)) American engine, 5.7L easy to produce power also, popular with American cars.

1uz with 2uz bottom, pretty much a 4.7L v8 with iron block.

I know the 2jz is a hero to alot, and i love it, but my concerns are turbo lag response, power band and weight. So is the 2jz even a close competitor(compared to the others) for a track car? cause i see the japanese swapped out the 2jz for a 3uz for the super GT.

please consider all variables as this engine won't just be for going straight and it will drive sometimes at low rpm's, concider, weight, response, power band, turbo lag etc.

· Registered
2,012 Posts
The 2JZ might be the most cost effective way to get to your power goal. You won't have to touch internals for making that kind of power. You could definitely save big $$ on having to build the motor with aftermarket internals. I'd say it would depend on what type of fuel you plan on running really. You could go with a mid-sized turbo to make that kind of power but you'd have to be on race fuel...which you may be planning for anyways. A nice mid-sized turbo in the 67mm range will make the power for sure. If you go with a larger hot side, the turbo will probably make power well into the 7000 rpm range. My point is that you could drop in some cams and upgraded valve springs and have a pretty decently sized powerband. You won't have much power below 4000 rpms, but you might not need it if you're making 650whp from low 4000's up to low or mid 7000's in terms of rpms.

If you want a lot of power at low rpm's (2,500 - 3,000 or so) then this might not be right option for you unless you go with a stroker kit or maybe even BL's compound turbo kit. There hasn't been a lot of feedback on the compound turbo kit yet, but it might give you that extra torque you're looking for. Both are going to add cost to the project.

Another thing to take into consideration would probably be cooling the motor. I don't road race so I'm not claiming to speak from experience, but I think some of the guys that do run additional oil coolers. Hopefully they can chime in with some real world experience.

These are just some initial thoughts for you. Maybe some people can give you the actual weight of the motor and their experience with road racing this motor to help your decision. Good luck

Justin

· Registered
928 Posts
im a supra guy and obviously am inclined to say 2JZ but i think you would be happier with the LS. My father, and myself, have raced both and the low down power of a ls is untouchable by a JZ. that being said, i currently own a supra, and theres no corvette in the garage, so my personal preference is clear, but for a track car, an ls will be easier to drive fast.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks,

Re: JustinCT

cost isn't really a concern, just after something that'll do the job the best. I'd like to rebuild the internals either way with any engine.

I really love the 2jz but a v8 might take its place .. but i'll do more research

Re: neloner

Thanks like you i'm am a 2jz fan, and the though of having 2jz in my soarer (the car i want to turn into a track car, and yes i know its not the best handling but its my dream car) is just awesome.. but i figured a v8 would prob do a better job in real life.

thanks for replys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.