Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Havn't posted for a while, still awaiting the completion of my 7M - 1JZ swap.

Right, Im after an intercooler for my 1JZ. I want the best direct fit available. I have had a look at a few kits, and the HKS type S seems to be about the right price. However I'm not sure if the HKS type S is really that good, as it is used only for stock boosted turbo.

Im after a cooler that has potential, as I will prob go BIG single in a few years, but for the time being what is the best complete intercooler kit (with hard pipes) for the stock twins at 15psi - 17psi that is good all round. I dont want lag to become an issue so 3inch pipes are probably out of the question.

Any reccommnedations please?

Cheers,

Fabbz

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
I wanted to get an HKS type S for my car too, since it's made for the stock 2JZ turbos. I think the type S is good for 500rwhp, that is, it can flow enough air for a car that does 500rwhp, without being a restriction.

You can also check out some ebay IC's. Most of them are bar & plate, so that's good already. Also, they're cheap and should be good for atleast 20 psi. I know that some MKIV guys are running the ebay IC's @ 20psi.

-joseph

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
get the ssautochrome 24X12X4 for about $300 shipped. It's a bar and plate FMIC. It will handle almost anything. If you want to spend a grand on a Greddy or HKS tube and fin then knock yourself out. Hell, the Greddy and HKS logo might be worth $700 bucks!

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
i know some guy that will sell a 31x11x3 w/ 2.5 in/out ends for $230 shipped.

His name is Kevin and I think his ebay sn is: [email protected]

He gives us the "supraforums member discount" so just tell him you're a member.

-joseph

Oh yeah, 10 inches of air is all that my 89+ bumper can flow, even with a turbo A duct. Having a 12 inch height for the IC won't help at all, since the top 2 inch won't do anything.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
harwewe1 said:
get the ssautochrome 24X12X4 for about $300 shipped. It's a bar and plate FMIC. It will handle almost anything. If you want to spend a grand on a Greddy or HKS tube and fin then knock yourself out. Hell, the Greddy and HKS logo might be worth $700 bucks!
+1 got mine for 225$ shipped!! looks good..

my buddy has a ssautochrome (much smaller one 18x6x3 i think) on his turbo b16 civic, while tuning it i was watching the air intake temps, after doing many many 2nd and 3rd gear passes down the road air temps were still 100-110 and its about 80-85* out when doing this, though he is only running 7 psi w/ a greddy 18g turbo seems pretty good

·
Registered
249 Posts
theres a reason why every car in d1-drift uses at least one arc branded cooling part, whether its their intercooler or radiator. thats why i chose my arc intercooler, its shorter but its taller than most intercooler kits. its effeciency that counts. my cousins huge gt spec has soooo much lag compared to my car. but his top end is also better than mine. he car is definatly more torquey!

·
Registered
416 Posts
An intercooler is an intercooler, For the most part the aftermarket cores are all the same, as none of these parts resellers like HKS or Trust actually manucature the cores. Moreover, ALL the aftermarket intercoolers i have ever seen are bar and plate, including HKS, Trust, ARC, etc, noone in their right mind would make a tube and fin intercooler and claim its an upgrade. IF you want a proper IC setup that fits, fab it on the car. You will thank yourself later when everything fits perfectly. I used a S14 core fro XS engineering for mine. 20x11x3. If i were you i would fixate less on the overall size of the core and more on the piping as that will make the bigger diffeence (your butt wont feel the difference between a 20" and 24" core but it will feel the difference in response between improperly designed pipes and good ones)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the input lads - gives me a bit more to think about I can see. Lag will be the biggest factor for me when choosing the cooler - I dont want any - not too concerned about top speed, but engine response and 0 lag are important to me as I will be doing a fair bit of track work with my 1JZ.

I will have a look into how much it is going to cost me to get one pre fabed. That way we can taylor the IC to my likings.

Cheers,

Fabbz

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Get a used trust 1JZ IC if you can. It maximizes fin to air surface area since it is designed for our bumper.

You can also go spearco, which will give you maximum air exposure but quite pricey.

I use the eBay IC 20x12x3 core. It works great and inexpensive. However 40% of the fins are not exposed which is less then ideal. Considering that you can sell your stock 1J IC for 100-150 and get the intercooler for ~200, there is no reason to not upgrade. It's basically free. Just spend money on some GOOD piping, aluminum if you can.

BTW I mention the 20x12x3 core because with my 24x12x3 core I experienced a slight lag when compared to stock. The core is a little too big for stock boost and it takes time to fill up. When I use the 20x12x3 core there is no noticeable lag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts