Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just can't keep myself from telling this story. It cracks me up like crazy.

As my sig says, I got my supra on a straight swap for a 1990 CRX. It is pretty well modded, engine swapped, LSD, full suspension, setup for autox mainly. It's a cool little car, and it was a fun project. Needless to say, it was a no-brainer to swap for the supra! Well, last week I got a funny letter from the State
Police saying that it had been impounded, and that I was the listed owner/title holder. It turns out that the punk I traded with never bothered to title the car, or to get the plates changed, so it's still technically mine. On the 13th of March it was picked up off the freeway about 50 miles from here with a flat tire.

Sooo, I'm going to get it from impound tomorrow! I called the kid several times, but he hasn't answered or returned my calls. I figure, worst case scenario, I foot the bill for the impound and make him pay me a few hundred on top of that for my trouble. Best case, he disappears, I apply for a new title, and the car becomes mine again. If that happens, I'm just gonna sell it and put some $$ towards the soop! Anyone have any experiences like that, or know if there are laws that deal with this situation? Here in Kentucky, the car gets auctioned and the title goes back to the state after 60 days of impound. I figure on the 61st day it becomes mine, and that I "bought" it for the impound fees.

·
DAMN u a big one lady
1,278 Posts
That happened to my friend's father. Sold his old Jeep to the chic he was cheating on his wife with, and she didn't get a new title or whatever and the cops impounded it, and he got the car back... PWNED!!

·
25psi Bliss
1,446 Posts
This isn't all that simple as envisioned. Legally the negligent party still owns the vehicle even if he was tardy in completing the Dept. of Motor Vehicle ownership / registration forms. - Note, a mutual transaction was completed with the transfer of goods. You may wanna consult an attorney to get clarity on this subject (and let us know outcome thereafter)....

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,377 Posts
this was probably an april fools joke and the police were in on it too. theyll be confiscating your car shortly and putting you back into a CRX :p

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
That sort of happened to me. I sold a car to a guy, and dumbass me never turned in the notice of transfer. 2 years later I got $700 worth of tickets on the car. Thanks to me remembering where the guy lived and a reverse address search, i got out of the tickets, but however, at court, the judge told me this: The title is still in my name, so whatever happenes, I'm still the owner of this car. As long as you have the title to the Supra, I would just go and pick up this car, pay the fines, and the car's yours again. Screw him for being stupid, tax his ass and re-possess. It's totally legal, especially if you never gave him anything in writing, as you're still the owner of the car. I went through a lot of shit for the same type of thing, and I am really bitter about this subject.

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Zi4life978 said:
That happened to my friend's father. Sold his old Jeep to the chic he was cheating on his wife with, and she didn't get a new title or whatever and the cops impounded it, and he got the car back... PWNED!!
Got the car back, but lost the house, the kids, and 50% of his pension in the divorce....hmmm

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turbo-Joe said:
this was probably an april fools joke and the police were in on it too. theyll be confiscating your car shortly and putting you back into a CRX :p
My luck exactly!

Originally posted by BlackDevilSupra
This isn't all that simple as envisioned. Legally the negligent party still owns the vehicle even if he was tardy in completing the Dept. of Motor Vehicle ownership / registration forms. - Note, a mutual transaction was completed with the transfer of goods. You may wanna consult an attorney to get clarity on this subject (and let us know outcome thereafter)....
I see what you mean. I'm definitely not gonna try to screw the kid out of his car. However, it's been in impound over 2 weeks already, almost 3. He knows where I live, as we swapped titles in daylight at my house, and he'd been there a couple times before that. Lastly, I've called him half a dozen times to tell him about it, with no returned calls. I would send him a letter if I had an address for him. Also, in Kentucky, they don't even impound cars until they've been abandoned for 3-5 days, which means he's going on a month since he had the flat and ditched it. That says to me, and probably would say to any judge or whatever that they didn't care to have the car, and that I followed good faith in trying to contact him/get it back to him, so if the time comes and goes, I'm just gonna retitle it. I'll probably talk to an attorney anyway, that's definitely a valid point. However, I've found that as long as a person acts in good faith, you can't go wrong if the person shows up six months later and wants his car back.

I'll probably just charge him exactly what the impound would have if he had left it if he does show up, so no one can accuse me of trying to abuse the situation. Like I said, I'm not trying to screw anyone, I just don't want to see it go to auction and end up at a wrecking yard.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
blackdevil is right.... you entered a verbal contract with the other guy..... which stands in a court room, However most motorvehical transfer require a written contract (aka bill of sale)... Did you fill one out?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the state of kentucky, the title itself becomes the bill of sale, and is filed when the old title is turned in and a new one is requested. I realize that we had a contract, but I think that the overriding fact will be that after 60 days, he would have forfeited the car to auction, at which point, as long as I have followed some sort of due diligence, and since I'm gonna keep documentation of everything I've done, including receipts from getting it out of impound, I can only be found in the right, right?

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
if its still titled under your name and you get the impound fees and tickets, then legaly its yours until he pays the fees.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I got the car today, and it's in my garage. I'm sending him a certified letter letting him know that he can either pay me $1500 for my time, impound fees, storage, etc., or I'm keeping the car. I'm giving him til 4/12/05 or it's mine. Either way, it was worth the 6 hours it took me today to drive 200 miles, shell out $500, and pick it up. He sure hasn't taken care of it.... The exhaust was completely missing from the test pipe back, the VAFC is gone, and the oil is pitch black... I bet it hasn't been changed sine the last time I did it!

I hafta agree with you though, JZ killa, that they sure wouldn't be shy to tax me if something bad had been done with the car, so I'm not gonna be shy to make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm also not giving him the car back until he pays me, bring me a registration and proof of insurance. You know what they say:
Trick me once, shame on you, Trick me twice, shame on me.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Charging that might be a little high, but you have to take into consideration the risk imposed upon wiredjosh when this kid did the things he did with this car. I am sure that wiredjosh went and had the title taken care of as soon as he was able along with registered the vehicle, and insuring with in a reasonable time. It seems as if the kid did not do these things, and had the kid wrecked this car cause serious damages or deaths, wiredjosh would have been looking at a lot of legal problems. So depending on the actual situations if may be feasible to charge more than that.

·
Chris Dickens
3,027 Posts
True. Good point. But $1500 still seems a bit high. I don't think the kid abandoned the car cause he didn't give a damn. He probably blew a tire, came back for it to find it gone, and then couldn't afford the impound fees. So if he couldn't afford $500 why charge him 3 times that? Sounds like an easy way of getting your car back to me. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
If he did take the proper steps after buying the car, and could not afford the fees, it would be semi reasonable to give him the car back for minimal fees, $650 given that he is able to do so in a timely manner, but if the oil is that nasty and the exhaust is torn apart bad enough I would do anything reasonable to keep the car out of the kids hands. Although many people here my dis the CRX it is still a kind of fun car and is as old and possibly as hard or harder to find than Supras.

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Offering him $1500 to get it BACK is pretty much saying it's now yours so fuck off. :eek:

If he couldn't pay the money for tickets/flat whatever the problem was, then how is he gonna be able to pay $1500??? :dunno:

Personally I think it's a great idea though and congrats on your new beater :lol:

·
Sometimes I see dead ppl
1,719 Posts
The fact that it seems like the kid is avioding contact with also raises the suspicion if the car is even running. Maybe he blew up the motor or something like that and just left it there knowing that he didn't register it, and nothing bad would come back to him. Also, I might advise that if you are gonna get the car out of impound, you should consider doing it soon. some places charge as much as $20 a day, however, that's kinda extreme, but do not be surprised to pay about $10 a day though-which all comes back to me asking, how much is the car worth, and how much is it worth not running? Also, this is another thing to note. Over here in Hawaii, not only could they charge for the impound fees, but if the car doesn't get claimed after a month, it can be deemed abandoned, and then they'll send a ticket for $190 on top of the impound fees for abandoning the car. It may be different over there in Kentucky though-just stuff you may want to look into and take into consideration.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts