Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i should be picking up an auto n/a pretty soon. im not sure if i want to go single or later get a TT. im looking more into the TT cuz i'd rather have 6 speed. anyway, what would be the best mods for me to prepare for the turbos... like what mods would be easy to transfer over to a TT or be useful for a turbo'd mkiv? for instance, what exhaust/intake or any other mods. i would rather slowly put money on it now so that i can prepare for the future, rather than buying everything at once. im a bit new to n/a bcuz i thought i learned more about the TT than this, so any help would be nice.

·
NA-T T61
1,988 Posts
I have an n/a 5 speed and I'm planning on going single turbo in the months to come.

As far as the performance mods I have installed n/a are as follows:

K&N intake
Apex SAFC-2
Blitz NUR spec catback
HKS cam gears
upgraded spark plugs

·
Asian Persuasion
635 Posts
I say stick with the N/A. I tried going that route a long time ago. Even put the N/A up for sale. But couldn't bring myself to sell it. So i'm just going single now. Hopefully I should be done by mid summer.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BlackWindEXE said:
i should be picking up an auto n/a pretty soon. im not sure if i want to go single or later get a TT. im looking more into the TT cuz i'd rather have 6 speed. anyway, what would be the best mods for me to prepare for the turbos... like what mods would be easy to transfer over to a TT or be useful for a turbo'd mkiv? for instance, what exhaust/intake or any other mods. i would rather slowly put money on it now so that i can prepare for the future, rather than buying everything at once. im a bit new to n/a bcuz i thought i learned more about the TT than this, so any help would be nice.
Frankly if you have additional funds to buy these mods for the NA. You might just as well throw in a few thousand more and pick up an auto TT, trust me even if it is auto it will be well worth it. It will not cost much more. You can get auto TT for $17~$23k.

If you do decide go single later, minimum cost will be $4000~$5000 for basic set up, parts, tunning. You will also need clutch, exhaust, better tires, etc.

Personally I really wish someone had convinced me before I purchased NA.

·
Asian Persuasion
635 Posts
oh shit. I read wrong. I thought you said that you have already purchased an auto N/A. What nsx4ever said, just save up some more and go out and buy a TT. I also wished someone could have warned me about getting an N/A when i bought a Supra.

·
SF's Cleanest
7,179 Posts
Keep the NA for a while - then upgrade to a TT when you can afford it. Don't go NA-T. It's just a headache for most people...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
BlackWindEXE said:
well is it ok to have an n/a as a DD?
It would make a great daily driver as long as you have stock exhaust. Stock NA with stock exhaust are fairly quick, decent low end for street, just as quick as IS300.

I would guess you are going to pay around $10~$12k for auto na or $12~$15k for 5spd na. I hope you are paying much less than the price I am guessing.

I am saying this from bottom of my heart, I love NA supra as well, absolutely nothing against na at all, if you have a budget of around $15k, really should save up just a little more for the auto TT. 1/3 more hp is a big difference at relatively little additional cost.

I daily drive my NA-T everyday, and driven hard all the time, it is dyno tuned conservatively for me to beat the crap out of it. Thanks to the awesome tuner Dynoxtreme.

·
i'm AMAZING!
465 Posts
got my 93 NA and i love it. i bought it stock with under 74,000 miles. you can tell that it wasn't beat on. about a month ago, i was very close to trading my NA for a TT, but couldn't do it. so i am going NA-T within a month.

to answer your question...exhaust, coilovers, cosmentic changes, stereo can all be transfered if you go TT later. try and stay away from engine mods...as those are different. check mvpmotorsports.com. that site is great for seeing what will fit NA's vs. TT's.

·
i need horsepower
1,365 Posts
wuts the mileage?? and conditionm?

i personally do not regret buying the NA. Of course everyone wants a TT 6 spd but if your on this board asking abt buying na's, u kno you couldnt buy a beat up TT auto over that good condition na and financially a TT 6spd isnt an option. i would rather have a na 5spd than a auto TT (rode in a non bpu one and wasnt impressed at all). If you plan to go racing and shizz all the time and are "justified" in running with no cats than save for the TT 6spd. My car gets the all the same looks and i rarely go "racing", the engine will remain street legal (cops) but is fun enough to beat on once in a while. it all depends on what your into.

forget the na auto and look for a na 5spd hardtop. get suspension and wheels and have a great time around the corners and then sell the na and buy the TT 6spd and move the suspension and wheels over.

·
TT This
917 Posts
It's kind of funny how some of you guys treat the NA like it's a plague...

I love my NA-T, I've had countless people ask me if it's a TT. I tell em it's a NA with a turbo conversion. Most of them seem more impressed, by the work I've done to convert it, than if it was a stock TT.

·
MkIV Pilot
580 Posts
NSX4EVER is giving some good advice. By the way, What are your daily settings? The conservative ones?? I plan on running 18psi daily. I guess thats not too conservative.

My advice if you are getting a Supra, go for the 6 speed TT first. If you cant afford that, then a 5-speed NA is the way to go. Sorry guys, i have nothing against autos, but they just arent for me. If you dont mind driving an auto sports car, then go auto if you so desire.

Either way.... ITS STILL A SUPRA, and you will get the same looks as any other Supra gets.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
mogallo said:
NSX4EVER is giving some good advice. By the way, What are your daily settings? The conservative ones?? I plan on running 18psi daily. I guess thats not too conservative.
It is tuned to be quite a bit on the rich side, at don't laugh 7.25psi on pt61, I am embarassed. :lol:

car made tiny 305rwhp, I think if we were to lean out a a bit more 330~340rwhp is well within reach at same boost level. This motor is as healthy as it left the factory.

For me the reason why I went with NA 5spd instead of picking up similar condition auto TT for $2~$4k more was that I absolutely would not settle for auto back then, 6spd TT was just way too expensive.

But now I would not mind having auto TT, after I learned the potential of auto TT, with higher stall converter, it can be quite fun, very quick off the line. Still prefer 6spd TT over auto TT, but that is in another ballpark cost wise. Knowing myself, if I had purchased TT auto from the start, I would also have done the 6spd conversion for sure, and tell myself I should of bought a 6spd TT :lol:

There are advantages going with NA, especially hardtop, lightweight is always better, TT swap into hardtop NA or NA-T, the potential is unlimited.

Seriously if your budget is around $15k, and you already have plan to invest in NA mods + you don't mind auto. Why not just get the TT auto for $18k, turbo from the start, no need to worry about tranny, bigger brake, little bigger wheels. It does weight a few hundred pounds more than NA. It is one option worth considering, I wish I could choose this option.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Depends on how much power you want later down the road.

If your looking for 300-400hp, then stay with the NA and go NA-T. You might not have to, but you may wanna look into getting you auto trans upgraded for peace of mind.

If you want as much as you can get, then just drive the NA you have for now and save up to get a TT

Best mods I have found for the NA supra, least on mine, are the following :

Exhaust
really any will do better than stock, depending on the other mods you install. This is mainly for the owners ability to modify the tone and appearence of the exhaust

Intake
even a drop in K&N filter does the trick

XERD Headers
not usable when you go NA-T, but well worth the HP for the $$, and very easy to sell later

440cc injectors and Lexus MAF upgrade
Only if your 93-95 US model. This makes a difference with the above mods added. The lexus MAF also allows you to use up to 550cc injectors with an AFC to control them, where the stock MAF only allows up to 440cc injectors with an AFC to control them.

Lightened dampened Crank pulley
A difference can be felt throughout the RPM band. Just make sure its fully dampened!!

Lightened Pulleys
These add like next to nothing for HP...mainly for show

Cam Gears
Most HP is generated from the exhaust CAM, very little if any off of the Intake CAM.

Electric Fans and Upgraded Radiator
Frees up rotating mass, allowing more HP to be transferred to the wheels

AFC
Helps to tweak everything and maximize HP. Not really worth the $$$ for only freeing up maybe a max of 5-10hp, but you will need this when you go NA-T

Lightwieght Wheels
Mainly for appearance, but if you shop smart you can free up HP. Will cost some $$$ to do that though.

Most HP will be found first with the XERD Headers, specially with an intake and exhaust. Everything else just adds roughly a few HP, which in the end can be very impressive. The AFC is a good idea to make sure it is tuned perfectly. You will still need to dyno the car to tune the AFC.

Everything listed is usable if you go NA-T, except for the XERD Headers. But if you look around, those are pretty easy to sell even used for a decent profit.

Reactions: NCSUpra and mogallo

·
95 NAT
615 Posts
I have a 95 NA and I love it as well. When I got mine I became the second owner, the car had under 54K miles and it's a 5spd, I too will go the NA-T route by early next year. My only modification so far is:
Injen Air Intake
RS*R GTII cat back ehaust (LOVE THE SOUND especially when I'm going through tunnels & underpass)
TRUST Front strut bar
CUSCO Rear Strut bar
TSW Thruxton Wheels w/ Kumho ASX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts