Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at possibly buying my wife a little roadster to drive around. It's got to be new(ish) and user friendly. Pure power isn't high on the list, but overall usability is.

Now, I first suggested the Elise, but it's a bit too much for her (I'm a huge Lotus fan hehe). So, I guess I'm looking at something a little lower on the ladder :rofl:

I'd rather not buy a domestic, but it seems that the build quality has increased slightly (stil.....). I wish toyota would make a damn roadster :lol:

So, the choices right now are:

Solstice
Sky
Miata
MR2 (last gen)

She doesn't like the S2000, I barely fit in the passenger side :lol:. Any other recomendations or comments on the solstice/sky platforms?

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
No Boxster? WTF is this? Well conditioned used models with up to date records go for as much as a new Miata and are even more reliable as long as you don't stray from the servicing. Resale is also epic, compared to those other cars.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DragonSi said:
miata, cheap, reliable

btw i'd smach her up for disliking the s2000, best car in the bunch!
I personally hate honda. She does too.... probably because of me.

I can't drive an S2000, and are uncomfortable as hell in one. To me, it's a bland car. I can appreciate the engineering in it, but I just don't like them.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TrueSlideXL said:
No Boxster? WTF is this? Well conditioned used models with up to date records go for as much as a new Miata and are even more reliable as long as you don't stray from the servicing. Resale is also epic, compared to those other cars.

Boxster was brought up, we'll see.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Yeah right - everyone that voted SKY or Solstice needs to go check them out in person. Its really ashame because I think they are two incredibly good looking cars - until you really look them over. Horrible trim, quality of matriels is poor, the steering wheel gets sticky on your hands, the seats are mush, the door handles on the inside are just like there, no trim, no anything, its just odd, the shift knob feels like its off a Huffy 10 speed, the list goes on. The Redline IMO is not powerful enough for me to ignore the shortcomings as I was able to on the Z0. Plus on the non-turbo you have to deal with the lumpy EcoTech that feels like its has a 400lb flywheel.

Now a Mallet conversion is another story. I think I could forget a few more things.

My vote - suprise suprise - is with the Miata. Very good build quality, proven to hold value well, reliable, fun to drive, good looking, LOADS of aftermarket support. Its not the fastest in the bunch when you put it up against the RedLine or the turbo Pontiac, but it sure feels much better. The new Miata definately could use a bit more suspension tuning then say the NA's or NB's comparitively, but next to the GM's its still a better platform IMO.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
the mrs is discontinued after 05. and they only made 1000 mrs on 05. i think mid engine car is not that good for ladies. cuz of the trunk space. if she likes 2 seat, maybe the Z4? euro cars are ladies wanted. SLK? i love that one.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts

·
Cool as Ice
274 Posts
Miata for the reasons Wob listed. If she doesnt' care for driving dynamics and being able to reach the window switch or the glove boxes and is only interested in a cool looking roadster then by all means get one of the Kappa twins.

·
<.>
343 Posts
The Mercedes SLK350 is a roadster my wife wanted for a while. It costs more than a Miata or S2000 but the style and convertible hardtop is nice.

·
AKA Muddy
737 Posts
And the #1 reason on Miata.net to pick a Miata over the skystice, the trunk! :lol: The trunk is absolutely useless in the skystice, and you did say that "usability" is most important. :)

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've got 2 SUV's incase I need to actually haul something. I just want her to be able to turn the key, and go.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
My wife has had 2 Miata's and wants another one. They really are that good.

Nothing to worry about, cheap, reliable, fun as hell to drive - we will have another soon.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts