Supra Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Im pretty sure obd2 supra's can still blink codes via paper clip method, my 97 still has the diagnostic port under the hood... pretty sure I've used it in the past

·
Registered
915 Posts
For about the same price as a basic cheap OBD II reader, you can get a Toyota, Lexus & Scion OBD II USB cable which comes with a disc you install for around $30. Installation was a bit tricky but I have had it for about 2 years and used this USB cable on my Lexus to program new keys and adjust all kinds of features such as lighting, climate control features, auto door locks and many other things the dealer will charge you for. I used it on other Toyota's and a different Lexus vehicle and never had a problem with it. It will also read all types of ABS, transmission, body and air bag codes as well as perform function tests and provide live data. A general OBD II code reader section for other 96+ vehicles comes installed as well.

·
Registered
680 Posts
For about the same price as a basic cheap OBD II reader, you can get a Toyota, Lexus & Scion OBD II USB cable which comes with a disc you install for around $30. Installation was a bit tricky but I have had it for about 2 years and used this USB cable on my Lexus to program new keys and adjust all kinds of features such as lighting, climate control features, auto door locks and many other things the dealer will charge you for. I used it on other Toyota's and a different Lexus vehicle and never had a problem with it. It will also read all types of ABS, transmission, body and air bag codes as well as perform function tests and provide live data. A general OBD II code reader section for other 96+ vehicles comes installed as well.

Toyota sells this?

·
Registered
915 Posts
Toyota sells this?
It is on Ebay. Just search "Toyota MINI VCI TIS" and you will see it for around $15 to $50. Make sure your computer is supported as some of the cheaper versions do not support some computers.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Sorry reviving this thread. So I'm looking to buy an ELM327 OBD2 II Bluetooth Auto Car OBD2 Diagnostic Interface Scanner Tool FTSS on Ebay. Can someone confirm that these work with the Supra?

Let me know!
I have this exact model purchased from amazon. It connects to my car just fine, i also use an app called Torque that is bluetooth enabled. Dunno if others had connectivity issues but I've used the ELM327 on 4-5 different obd2 cars including my 98 supra with no issues.

·
1 ur Mom warned U about
655 Posts
I have this exact model purchased from amazon. It connects to my car just fine, i also use an app called Torque that is bluetooth enabled. Dunno if others had connectivity issues but I've used the ELM327 on 4-5 different obd2 cars including my 98 supra with no issues.
Same here. It works fine with my 98 as well. Cheap way to get the Codes pulled up.

·
Registered
666 Posts
holy old thread bump haha. a lot has changed in the toyota scan tool world since 08 !!

I just ran into the "mini VCI" cable/software a month ago.

mini VCI cable + "techstream" software installed on your pc (+ 32 bit windows, vci drivers... ) = excellent way to interface with OBD2 toyotas / lexus

this is available on e8ay. techstream is the factory (dealer?) software...the ebay auction comes with an ancient out of license version i suspect since its selling out in the open online now. you can see and record live data from the sensors / modules. I ran into it working on a prius and it was incredible what you could see/do for $16... now I don't think you can do anything with the tune / fuel and timing tables...but you can reprogram remotes/rfid keys, turn on/off all sorts of factory features, reset codes/ modules etc etc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone I am new, but had a question concerning the TIS v13 and cable for a 97 Mk4 TT USA, I also own this system and usually do not have issue using it on all Toyota's, but on the supra it will read, but won't let me do anything even check codes. I noticed that I have two OBD ports, 1 round and small and another one was regular obd2. I tried to find a cable adapter for the OBD1 port, but having real issues. I have several scanner's but no matter which one I hook up to the OBD2 port, it either doesn't work at all or only partially works and no diagnostics will work. any clues on this. A place to find the right cable, or......I appreciate it in advance.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Did you make sure the car is running and the OBD2 fuse is good? They won't fully scan until ignition is started. Check the manual for the scanner if necessary, most modern scanners work just fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you make sure the car is running and the OBD2 fuse is good? They won't fully scan until ignition is started. Check the manual for the scanner if necessary, most modern scanners work just fine
Thank you for the part about it needs to be running, I was only turning the key to on ignition spot. I have since ordered the obd1 connector, I could only find like one supplier who had it at like $35 shipped, you have to be careful because the Mazda one looks the same but the pin outs are different. Not to bad all things considered I will let you know how that goes, when it gets in.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Thank you for the part about it needs to be running, I was only turning the key to on ignition spot. I have since ordered the obd1 connector, I could only find like one supplier who had it at like $35 shipped, you have to be careful because the Mazda one looks the same but the pin outs are different. Not to bad all things considered I will let you know how that goes, when it gets in.
Correct, turning the key wont allow full diagnostic or reset. Car must be running in idle at the minimum.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts