Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· masterblaster
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see alot of guys using the dsm fans on the supra,out of the 2 fans that are in the dsms left and right one is metal and one is plastic,one is thicker than the other,which of the 2 is better to use if you were to go to a junk yard and get 2 of the same>? Also im thinking on using the duel elec oems out of a 99 couger that i found,they are off set high low dual fans in one shourd about 26 x15 might work good,also they look like the ford mustang high speed fans but smaller? any ideas on this

· 2JZ Mk2
1,396 Posts
90s Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables with the dual speed fan move a lot of air (more than any aftermarket fan I've seen). Not sure if they would fit the Mk3 though. I tried installing one in my Mk2 but its about an inch too thick and went over the 1st 2 fan belts. IIRC they are about 4 1/4" thick. I only paid $15 for mine at a local u-pull-it yard. These fans are extremely popular with the V8 Zcar guys.

6,984 Posts
munky - they are talking about removing the stock clutch fan and replacing it with more reliable, less horsepower robing electric fans to draw air through teh radiator.

G

·
mk3turbosupra said:
I know its not OEM.. but the Flex-a-lite Black magic fits and looks stock. A little on the loud side though.
Space it away from the radiator, while still keeping it sealed to the core. You will gain major airflow, and reduce noise tremendously.

SilverMk2, the Taurus fan draws over 40 Amps on the high speed setting. No way a stock Supra alternator can handle that.

It also doesn't fit the stock radiator size very well, and some funky shroud would be required. Incredibly powerfull unit though.

· Acting my age
3,158 Posts
Space it away from the radiator, while still keeping it sealed to the core. You will gain major airflow, and reduce noise tremendously.
Not quite sure how this would be done.. Are you thinking like, adding a thicker seal around the fan and somehow shimming it away from the radiator? Very interested in trying.

· Registered
3,665 Posts
SilverMk2 said:
90s Ford Taurus/Mercury Sables with the dual speed fan move a lot of air (more than any aftermarket fan I've seen). Not sure if they would fit the Mk3 though. I tried installing one in my Mk2 but its about an inch too thick and went over the 1st 2 fan belts. IIRC they are about 4 1/4" thick. I only paid $15 for mine at a local u-pull-it yard. These fans are extremely popular with the V8 Zcar guys.
AMEN! The Taurus fans ROCK! The Ford Cobra fans are also decent. The "Black Magic" fans are crap in comparison. I have one of the Cobra fans on my V8Z and with the hood up and fan on I can feel a BREEZE at the back of the car. I've seen it suck paper off the floor and stick it to the radiator. I'm considering one for my MKIV :)

G

·
mk3turbosupra said:
Not quite sure how this would be done.. Are you thinking like, adding a thicker seal around the fan and somehow shimming it away from the radiator? Very interested in trying.
Err, if the search function was working, I'd point you to a thread where I described this in full detail.

But your description is correct. The fan blades have to be at least couple of inches away from the radiator core. The further they are, the better.

So you need to move the shroud further away, and keep the perimeter sealed, so all air goes through the radiator, and doesn't leak out the sides.

I'll try looking for the thread again. Anybody know how to search, with the search broken?

· masterblaster
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah the cobra fans rock mad air,you can find this same fan in all the crustangs from 96 or so up. they will not fit in a mk3 though 2 thick, but you could use it as a air boat fan.LOL it also draws crazy current,anyone ever seen one of these 99 cougar fans,they look high speed,wonder what the current draw is on them.They do move alot of air for small flat looking dual fans.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.