Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Chillen at the Holidae In
Joined
·
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled my engine today. Car is all stock and only has 19xxx miles on it. I want to upgrade the pitsons. I am working on the car and what to know what are the best and what are the the best power wise. I am going with a NA-T but i dont not know that kit either. So please help me with my decision on how to get my car the most power.

steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
Arias is what I'm running. Plan to spend about $700. That goes for JE's as well. Love the Arias, but do note....9.6:1 compression is all the make for shelf pistons for the 2JZ.

If you got the loot, go for JUN's or Greddy pistons. Mega $$$, but def. some nice shit. (Titan runs Greddy internals and makes 1200rwhp)
 

·
1000hp thanks to SP
Joined
·
598 Posts
Stock TT pistons are as strong as any. Paul Efantis is running stock pistons on his 8.3 second beast.

Greg
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
OVRBST said:
Arias is what I'm running. Plan to spend about $700. That goes for JE's as well. Love the Arias, but do note....9.6:1 compression is all the make for shelf pistons for the 2JZ.

If you got the loot, go for JUN's or Greddy pistons. Mega $$$, but def. some nice shit. (Titan runs Greddy internals and makes 1200rwhp)
wait so your pistons are 9.6:1?? i definitely have a lot of questions for you if thats what youre saying :D
 

·
I put up BS Flags
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
LYTLdiablo said:
wait so your pistons are 9.6:1?? i definitely have a lot of questions for you if thats what youre saying :D
If they only have 9.6:1 pistons you can always lower the compression with a thicker headgasket. I know HKS makes a few and Greddy makes a 2mm headgasket as well.
 

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
ALL-2JZ-PWR said:
I just pulled my engine today. Car is all stock and only has 19xxx miles on it. I want to upgrade the pitsons. I am working on the car and what to know what are the best and what are the the best power wise. I am going with a NA-T but i dont not know that kit either. So please help me with my decision on how to get my car the most power.

steve
Why are you upgrading your shortblock? You don't need to unless you are aiming for more than 750 lb/ft of tq or so. And even then... stock pistons can handle wel over that but you will need to upgrade the rods.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,144 Posts
I had this same problem this summer in deciding what pistons to buy. Here's what I came up with:

Arias: A fine piston with a high compression ration off the shelf. You can get some 9:1 compression ones through Twins Turbo, if you want to. The price is right, but I have heard of major shops airing them out.

Weisco: Another fine piston that domestic racers swear by. A friend of mine said he snapped a rod and the piston ended up lodged in the crank. No damage to the piston. But I've not heard of anyone personally running these in our applications.

Cosworth. Thermal coated and probably one of the best out there. But prepare to take out a loan for them.

J&E: Some have reported snapping J&E pistons at the BPU level, so I'm not sure about them at the extreme HP levels that a built engine will be attaining.

J&E PHR Spec: Proven, slightly more expensive, but again proven. Thicker, reinforced crown with a stouter ring configuration. Ideal for nitrous applications I'd say. I went with these myself.

Stockers: Stout, stout, stout. A little heavier than the forged options out there from what I understand, but with the major race team choosing to run them vice all of the options out there, it's a good choice to keep them. I'm not sure I'd run a shot of the Devil juice when running big HP, but for an all turbo application, I'd have no doubts they'd hold up.

Good luck man, and have fun with the rebuild. What rods are you going with?

Eric

4 digit HP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
337 Posts
Paul e is running Weisco pistons in his race engine now, spoke to his shop a couple of weeks back. I also spoke with eric at twins turbo today, I know those guys have gotten a bad wrap on supraforums so far however I was very impressed with the conversation we had. I am waiting on some more info on their enegine packages.

Also CP is another company that makes and stocks pistons for the supra. So far these are at the top of my list, now if I could just get my hands on a set of pankal Ti rods :D .
 

·
Bad Karma Supra
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
Damn, busting J&E pistons ? -ouch....anyone have good experiences with these?

Or at least some real world experience with other brands, other than, "i've heard that xxx is great...."
 

·
Bad Karma Supra
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
OVRBST said:
Arias is what I'm running. Plan to spend about $700. That goes for JE's as well. Love the Arias, but do note....9.6:1 compression is all the make for shelf pistons for the 2JZ.

Have you dynoed at all? I imagine, all else being equal - that bump to 9.6:1 compression will provide you with some decent additional power.

Jay
 

·
Supporting Vendor
Joined
·
4,400 Posts
Philly Single said:
Have you dynoed at all? I imagine, all else being equal - that bump to 9.6:1 compression will provide you with some decent additional power.

Jay
and spool...my only worry would be by how much does it increase the risk of detonation...

about a thicker headgasket...a 1.6 or 2mm headgasket yes would help, but by how much would that reduce compression? and how many mm do we have from the valves to the top of the stock 8.5:1 piston (in terms of being an interference engine)? what about the 9.6???
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top