Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving with a BHG since last summer (parked over winter) and now the over heating has began. My other engine will not be ready to go fow 2 months at the earliest. So when can I find a HG set, perferably a Felpro, at a reasonable price.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Search around. Cometic is the popular one i've seen prices of 130 to 150 i believe but don't quote me on it.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking around. And I have yet to find anything that is cheaper than going to autozone, this is why I decided to post. I also have heard of cometic, and I looked for tem as well, but I am obviously not looking in the right place. So when I am asking where the best place to buy a HG set is, I am asking for an opinion from a person who has bought a HG set. So don't tell me to search around.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just bought Cometic 84 bore .051 from Horspower freaks. Finished the car today. Seems pretty good. I had to remove 1 rivet on the front cornor of the gasket. No problem.
Paradise racing also sells the gasket. I would only buy Cometic or HKS, both are good.

·
Banned
163 Posts
I take it you are looking for a replacment Composite HG not a Metal HG? Correct me if Im wrong but don't Cometic and HK$ only make MHGs for our cars? If you are looking for a replacment composite HG just spend a little extra and go with Toyota gaskets and get some ARP head bolts (or head studs) and torque it down to about 75ft.lbs. I haven't heard of anyone using a Felpro HG for our cars and theres probably a reason for that.

X

·
0 Posts
I used a Cometic from Paradise Racing ([email protected]) $115 + $10 shipping, yes as etdean2 said you must remove 1 rivet from the front right side. Also used u/c (under cut) ARP studs torqued to 90 lbs/ft. The Cometic is a great gasket...3 steel layers with viton (very high temperature) coating on each side.

X

·
0 Posts
Don't worry about it, NOBODY has ANY popular Cometics in stock. They are moving their production to a new huge facility and have been delayed by 2-3 weeks. It took 3 weeks to get my XR4Ti gasket. Hope you're not in a hurry.
Just order it, you'll get it. They are so popular they had to expand production.
Last fall it only took 4 days to get the 7MGTE gasket.
Mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
Just call HPF, I got my MHG in 10 days, 5 days to make it and 5 days to ship it. I WOULD NOT WASTE TIME WITH THE STOCK TYPE GASKET. Felpro sucks, I just took one out and I also blew a stock gasket twice. Do it right the first time or you will regret having to doing it again. If you take the head off you should take it to a machine shop and have it checked and cleaned. You should replace the valve seals (cheap insurance) and lap the valves in. If they grind the valves they should not take more then .002 off, or you will need to just replace the valves. If the shop needs to lap the head, just ask them the amount and buy the right size thickness on the HG. I bought the egr and egr cooler block off plates from JBLMK3. I also bought the pulse dampener removal line from JBLMK3, it cleans the lines up nicely. If you buy the head studs, make sure to get the ones with the allen wrench hole.
If you have been driving on a blown HG, you may need to have the top of the block looked. Or you can buy a real thick, 2mm HG. If you do this much work, You really should do it right.

·
slow.
1,016 Posts
KLH2004a said:
I have been driving with a BHG since last summer (parked over winter) and now the over heating has began. My other engine will not be ready to go fow 2 months at the earliest. So when can I find a HG set, perferably a Felpro, at a reasonable price.

you said HG set. not metal headgasket... correct? well i have gotten several sets from http://www.ajusa.com They are an OEM provider and its all top notch quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Enslaved87 is about the only one helping, thanks to everyone else for trying. What brand are you buying from them? And you have got several sets for different cars from them right? I have N/A fo those you have not noticed so I am not too worried about a MHG.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have bought the 7mgte set from http://www.gasketpro.com/ and the gaskets have had no problems. I probably wouldnt use the headgasket thats in the set but the rest are pretty good. The price is real nice as well

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thankyou Jester, shh . . I will just use the HG in the set most likely. Now I just have to find the right price on the ARPs or I might set the recorcd or break the stock head bolts.

·
Registered
625 Posts
935motorsports or ebay.... I just put in a felpro exh mani gasket and its a darn nice gasket. can't vouche for quality of other gaskets but Im thinking their good if their of the same quality of the exh mani gasket I got. And you deffintly do save some when you buy a gasket kit. dang turbo to dp gasket is like 40 bucks alone.

·
DO WORK!!
2,275 Posts
Call curt or mike at Elmhurst Toyota or you can call Champion Toyota.... if you mention SF you will get a good price on the whole upper end kit.

Both are located in the sponsor section.

I can vouch for Paridise Racing 100% Some how some way I had my 2mm cometic Gasket the next day!!

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts