Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Where is the best place to put an EGT on SINGLE SUPRAS ?

Thanks

Ricardo

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
Usually runners 5 or 6 as they tend to run the leanest if you are on the stock intake manifold.

Steve

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Any reason why you would not want to remove it all together?

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
The closer the better and more accurate it will be, but it will die faster.

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Any reason why you would not want to remove it all together?
EGT, not EGR. And do you guys just tap into one of the runners or is there a place that is already there that can be used? I'm just trying to be certain I don't put it somewhere and then have a clearance issue with anything else around there.

·
OG
1,059 Posts
I have heard anecdotes (not firsthand or even second hand experience) of the probe breaking, and the tip flying into the turbo - not a healthy thing.

Once widebands became relatively widely available, EGT sensors have become less critical in importance.

Cheers
Rich B.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have heard anecdotes (not firsthand or even second hand experience) of the probe breaking, and the tip flying into the turbo - not a healthy thing.

Once widebands became relatively widely available, EGT sensors have become less critical in importance.

Cheers
Rich B.
We had a couple of guys on the UK forum last week who have had the tip break and kill the turbo blades. Only 3 of them but you never know how long the tip will last.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Cheers
Rich B.
Ok ! I will forget the EGT, because i have an AEM WIDEBAND.

Thaks

Ricardo

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
I have mine in the collector, pre-turbo... I also have it in a way that at WOT (when you see the highest temps) it is closer to the wastegate dump so that if it breaks it has a greater chance of going out that way than going out through the turbine wheel. I will be checking and replacing the probe at regular intervals to try and prevent it from breaking at all.

Anyone know what the max EGTs I should be seeing in the collector at 19psi (PTE66) WOT, pump gas should be?

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
I've had my Greddy EGT gauge for about 3 years now and have had no problems. The probe was pretty beefy on it so perhaps Greddy made sure they engineered it in a way so that it wouldn't break easily.

Steve K.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Anyone know what the max EGTs I should be seeing in the collector at 19psi (PTE66) WOT, pump gas should be?
I would say around 900°C..
I have around 770°C post turbo w/ AFRs around 11.5 and it pulls strong.

·
Registered
970 Posts
My EGT is in the 5 runner close to the collector, just tap and weld egt bung. BTW, the temps it would take to destroy that probe are so high that your motor is probably running so lean and hot that you're doomed anyway.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
Hefti yeah.. I saw exactly 900 at the collector, and I'm pretty well tuned, was running 11.2's but have seen little fluctuations to 11.7's or so.. I also have to tune my transition into boost since it's a little lean.

airpowr what kind of temps are you seeing at the runner? how come you chose to put it in the runner? I've heard people say the #2 runner is the leanest, then others say #5 and #6... Wouldn't it be better to spot a lean condition by putting it in the collector?

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
i thought you just said it was in the #5 runner close to the collector :scratch:

either way.. what temps do you see at WOT?

·
Boost Junkie
12,636 Posts
Anywhere from 700C to 825C. I'd hit 825 at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Steve K.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts