Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using the SP63 for road racing? I want the most usable power I can get using 91 octane on the track. I know the sp57 and 60 would work out fine, but am wondering if I can do more with a larger turbo.

Thanks,
Bill P 95bpu++

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Bill P said:
Is anyone using the SP63 for road racing? I want the most usable power I can get using 91 octane on the track. I know the sp57 and 60 would work out fine, but am wondering if I can do more with a larger turbo.

Thanks,
Bill P 95bpu++
You probably can't go wrong with any turbo below a T66..... i.e. SP57/60/63, T61/64, PHR Stage2, etc....

I will probably end up with a T64 or Phr Stage 2...

Andi

·
3,148 Posts
I should have my SP63 installed and tuned before I go to the roadcourse in March. You probably don't want to wait that long, but I will definitely give my impression when I return. Most singles that make peak torque around 5,000 rpm will be fine for the roadcourse since you should be keeping your revs above 4,500 rpm anyway.

Later, Steve

S

·
0 Posts
the SP63 WITH .81 A/R is the best single turbo for road racing and drag racing

·
Registered
152 Posts
Steve and Andi are both right. It all depends on what you want. Steve, for example, is wanting 510-520 rwhp at less than 18psi. Right Steve?? To get this, you have to step up to a sp63 or PHR stage 2.

If you only want 450 rwhp at 18 psi, you might could go with a sp57 or sp60.

Steve and I have been debating this for a while. I am glad he is trying it out before I buy. That way I can drive his car (if he lets me:D ) to see if the lag will be an issue for me. If it is not, then I can just turn the boost down to get to my needs (450 rwhp).

My only reference to this point is BPU in true twin mode. This is slightly more lag than I would like for both street and road racing.

Also, Steve is right. You should be above 4500 all the time, so it shouldn't be an issue with any turbo below the T66. But, less lag can cover up some driving error:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
kflee said:
My only reference to this point is BPU in true twin mode. This is slightly more lag than I would like for both street and road racing.
I've raced a friend's SP60 a few times in my TTC BPU. When we raced from low RPMs I would spool sooner and get the jump. I believe his turbo should make 500rwhp at 18 psi, but its not tuned now (although hes on stock fuel). I don't know how much that effects spool, but it definitely spools later than TTC the way he has it now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Thanks for the input Grant. Sounds like the SP57 may be the way for me. Of course, I will still have to drive Steve's. If I think I can live with the lag he has, that will definately be the way I go.

C

·
0 Posts
Grant, I messed with the AFR a bit yesterday. Its running a whole lot better though I still think its running rich.

Jon
'94 SP60 .70 A/R

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
kflee said:
Thanks for the input Grant. Sounds like the SP57 may be the way for me. Of course, I will still have to drive Steve's. If I think I can live with the lag he has, that will definately be the way I go.
Whoa, hold on there. I'd take my experience with a grain of salt, as Jon's car isn't running all too well. Jon I think you should stop trying to tune it yourself :) If you come up here I can do it with the wideband, or get Lance to do it.

Jon my car definitely pulls hard sooner. WTF did you do to yours? :)

S

·
0 Posts
HELP??

I would really like to put a greddy T-88 on mine. i have seen quite a few supras with these. does anyone think this is to big? I know what they say about the lag, but after a few seconds you are waving to em while you fly by. im not to worried about the effect on my quarter just want a road racing machine.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the posts guys. I guess the big issue I am trying to work out is weather it is worth the extra $3.5k for up graded fuel and electronics to produce 525 rwhp at the track with the SP63 etc. vs 480 rwhp with the SP57, 60 setup. I suppose there is something to be said about "area under the curve" and shear torque numbers also though.

Andi, with your high output bpu car, at about what hp do you drive with at the tract? And could you compare it to driving Pete's PHR single car? Or maybe you've already answered this by saying you want the T64 or PHR stage 2 for yourself ;)

Bill Perkins

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Bill P said:
Thanks for the posts guys. I guess the big issue I am trying to work out is weather it is worth the extra $3.5k for up graded fuel and electronics to produce 525 rwhp at the track with the SP63 etc. vs 480 rwhp with the SP57, 60 setup. I suppose there is something to be said about "area under the curve" and shear torque numbers also though.

Andi, with your high output bpu car, at about what hp do you drive with at the tract? And could you compare it to driving Pete's PHR single car? Or maybe you've already answered this by saying you want the T64 or PHR stage 2 for yourself ;)

Bill Perkins
If it's hot outside, I'm at 16psi with timing retard and am probably making 370rwhp at the track....

If it's cold outside, I'm at 18psi with full timing and probably making more like 440rwhp at the track...

The difference is very clear. In the summer I was hitting ~133-135mph on the straight at TWS before braking for turn 1. Two weeks ago when it was a bit cooler, I was hitting 140-142mph. That is a huge difference.

I definitely would prefer a nice-spooling mid-sized single turbo.

Andi

·
3,148 Posts
Don't try to compare the cost of going with a larger turbo by adding a fuel system upgrade. The real comparison is this. An SP60 is only $100 less than an SP63. TheSP63 will make 510rwhp on pump gas (18psi on stock fuel system) at the roadcourse. The SP60 will only make about 480rwhp in the same configuration. So basically here is what you get for your extra $100. You get about 30rwhp, cooler intake air, 3" downpipe (vs. 2.5") and a bigger shaft and bearings. The larger shaft and bearings of the SP63 is worth the extra $100 when they are going to be subjected to the stress of the roadcourse. Basically I would setup to the large shaft turbo (SP63 and larger) even if the hp was equal for the extra $100. This is unless the lag on the bigger turbo was excessive. Given most comments on the SP63, I don't think this will be much of a problem.

Later, Steve

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
Actually SP uses a 3" DP on all of its Turbo's. The only difference is that up to a SP 63 they use 2.5" Intercooler piping. Anything over 63 they use 3" piping. Correct me if I am wrong.

DakaDan

J

·
0 Posts
I have a T78 and frequent the longer road courses with no problem. It works very well at TWS(I was turning 2:05s and 2:06s in traffic on 245/275 street tires at the 2.9 mile course) on low boost(1.1 bar) Short tracks like the blimp base(GSS) in Houston may prove to be a bit slow, but anything longer than Hallett should be fine.

Justin

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Justin-N said:
I have a T78 and frequent the longer road courses with no problem. It works very well at TWS(I was turning 2:05s and 2:06s in traffic on 245/275 street tires at the 2.9 mile course) on low boost(1.1 bar) Short tracks like the blimp base(GSS) in Houston may prove to be a bit slow, but anything longer than Hallett should be fine.

Justin
Justin,

I don't think I know you, but I also frequent TWS all the time. What clubs do you go there with?

2:05's on shitty tires is pretty good. When are you going again?

What is your rev limiter set to? With the 4500-5000RPM spool of the T78 I'm surprised you don't find it a bit lacking in the spool department. Although I thought Peter's PHR Stage 2+ (which outspools the T78 bigtime) to be "okay", I would like better spool myself. Especially in the esses and in the horseshoe, where I can stay in 3rd gear in my TTC car but can't in Peter's.

Andi

P.S. you should come to a NASA event at TWS early next year. :)

C

·
0 Posts
Grant,

I tried to get Lance to tune it, but apparently he doesn't have the time. I'm lucky, I suppose, that he was able to do the install for me.

The goal was NOT to tune it myself, but to have it tuned by someone with a lot of experience (a.k.a. Lance), however, since I can never get a hold of him, it looks like I will be doing it myself anyway.

Can't wait to get up to Gainesville and get my Dawg running like it should! You just can't do anything without a wideband :(.

J

·
0 Posts
Andi,

I think I met you at TX2K1, although I was only BPU at the time. I have a white 95 Hardtop turbo 6 speed with Blitz Z1s. Although, at TX2K1 I had Racing Hart C5s.

I go to TWS about once every 2 months or so with the LSRPCA(Porsche club) and I went to the last John Eagle event at TWS. I like running with the Porsche guys because they seem to be pretty cautious. I just do this for fun, not for competition.

True, the esses are the only slow part for me, although I'm almost at full boost as I hit turn 15, I hit 4th right at the pavement change to go onto the front straight. Then, believe it or not, I try to take it easy on the front straight. I usually just coast after the start/finish line to take it kinda easy on the brakes. I've had to go into 6th a few times when I'm really pushing it, but that is REALLY hard on the car. The chicane is also a little slow as I exit, only because I usually leave it in 3rd, but I still have enough power to induce lift throttle oversteer as I hit that left hander(turn 11).

I'll be out there on December 1st and 2nd, again on street tires, but I really need to start thinking about some slicks to stick on the stock 17s. That should make it a little more interesting for me in the corners and still loads of fun on the straights. I was having some power steering issues last time I was out, so I was forced to run lower boost than I really wanted to. They had also black flagged me for spitting flames(and lots of them) as I wanted to run extremely safe. My power steering is still intermittent and I have a Blitz FMIC now(I was running on stock previously) so we'll have to see how it'll go this time.

Question for you.... Have you run into any power steering problems?

Justin

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Justin-N said:
Andi,

I think I met you at TX2K1, although I was only BPU at the time. I have a white 95 Hardtop turbo 6 speed with Blitz Z1s. Although, at TX2K1 I had Racing Hart C5s.

I go to TWS about once every 2 months or so with the LSRPCA(Porsche club) and I went to the last John Eagle event at TWS. I like running with the Porsche guys because they seem to be pretty cautious. I just do this for fun, not for competition.

True, the esses are the only slow part for me, although I'm almost at full boost as I hit turn 15, I hit 4th right at the pavement change to go onto the front straight. Then, believe it or not, I try to take it easy on the front straight. I usually just coast after the start/finish line to take it kinda easy on the brakes. I've had to go into 6th a few times when I'm really pushing it, but that is REALLY hard on the car. The chicane is also a little slow as I exit, only because I usually leave it in 3rd, but I still have enough power to induce lift throttle oversteer as I hit that left hander(turn 11).

I'll be out there on December 1st and 2nd, again on street tires, but I really need to start thinking about some slicks to stick on the stock 17s. That should make it a little more interesting for me in the corners and still loads of fun on the straights. I was having some power steering issues last time I was out, so I was forced to run lower boost than I really wanted to. They had also black flagged me for spitting flames(and lots of them) as I wanted to run extremely safe. My power steering is still intermittent and I have a Blitz FMIC now(I was running on stock previously) so we'll have to see how it'll go this time.

Question for you.... Have you run into any power steering problems?

Justin

Justin,

So is that you in the pic at the bottom of this post? :)

You should try going to TWS with NASA. I'll be there at their first event next year on Feb 2-3. See www.nasatx.com .

I've never had a PS problem at the track. A while back I used to noticed boiled PS fluid over the fuse cover when racing at Motorsport Ranch, but that has gone away since I got a real PS cooler. But at TWS I've never had a problem.

I hit 4th before the pavement change onto the front straight, and 5th soon after, and about 140mph before turn 1.

I won't be able to make it to the Dec 1-2 event with Porsche. But maybe I'll see you out there in Feb?

Andi

1 - 19 of 19 Posts