Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Headlight Restorer
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi you all,
I was just wondering what tire psi is best for street use? I am looking for a comfortable ride with as much traction as possible. so compromising inbetween, what tire psi for the fronts and rears should I set the 18inch wheel tires?
please let me know guys
thanks
John

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I always use around 33-34 psi.

·
Registered
222 Posts
32-35 psi...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
quick said:
36psi.

Oh, and 40psi cold for the circuit -- usually 40psi hot as well.
Ditto. Depends how much sidewall you are running, but I would go with a little more pressure than a little less, especialy if you have sidewalls less than 35.

I run appx. 36 cold, 40-42 hot (very hot).

I am on OEM sizes at the moment with GS-D3's. They have slightly weaker than average sidewalls and the few extra psi eliminates any give crimping in the sidewall

·
Headlight Restorer
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the comments guys. I currenty have 245/35/18 in the front, and 275/35/18 in the rear. So, around 35psi fronts and 32 rears should be good?
if you guys could tell me what psi for fronts and rears, it would be great.
thanks guys!
John

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
nureulsaranghae said:
thanks for the comments guys. I currenty have 245/35/18 in the front, and 275/35/18 in the rear. So, around 35psi fronts and 32 rears should be good?
if you guys could tell me what psi for fronts and rears, it would be great.
thanks guys!
John
I think everyone runs the same front and rear

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Tire pressure varies depending on sidewall, roads, and driving style. First, what tires do you have? Second, how are your roads? Third, are you all about the twisties, or straight line speed?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
Why does any of that really matter other than sidewall? Unless he is at the track or running DR's I dont see any added benefit to running anything other than around 36psi on the street no matter what you are doing.

Alex

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I just keep an eye on how the tire is wearing in regular use and adjust if necessary to even out the wear. It ends up being right around 32 to 40 psi no matter how you slice it.

·
Headlight Restorer
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
36 psi it is! all I am looking for is psi setup where I can just drive around the streets without worrying about bending my wheels on ditches and etc while giving as much traction as possible.

thanks guys.
John.

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
whoever was talking about 32-40psi... that's a huge range. I've seen noticeable difference in cornering behaviour from 2psi or less difference on the street (let alone the track).

John -- 36psi should be good given your goals. :)

·
TRNSFST
890 Posts
I'm 34psi-cold on the track, and they tend to heat up about 6psi to 40-hot. 34psi works fine on the street for me too. Driving on street, you'll be fine mid 30s. On the track though, you can really decide how much to run that will suit you best, both front and rear.

Quick, going to MAM in August?:) I know it's a smaller track, but I'll have my nissan there...bring the rolla!

Billy

·
Premium Member
10,169 Posts
Billy -- I won't be back to MAM any time soon -- it's a LONG drive for me. It's a great track for the AE86 as you can drive the shit out of it in turn 1, 4, etc. etc. :)
-Chris

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Alx2785 said:
Why does any of that really matter other than sidewall? Unless he is at the track or running DR's I dont see any added benefit to running anything other than around 36psi on the street no matter what you are doing.

Alex
If his roads suck then its better to have a little extra pressure to gaurd against a accident with a pothole. In the twisties, its a matter of driving style and sidewalls, 2psi made a night and day difference in the feel/response with my gsd3's. I was able to be alot more agressive after the extra pressure; I had subconciously backed off to avoid wall crimping, which is not a pleasent feeling in the middle of a hard turn at +50mph 36 psi is a good number, but for hard cornering you can benifit from 1-2psi of additional pressure (especialy if you dont have super stiff walls).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts