Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember a thread like this a long time ago...

I think someone said Motul 500 or something like that was the best?

Someone else mentioned Redline ATF or something...

Or is Mobil 1 best?

Just wondering... one day soon I'll have a supra so....

-solrac-

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Barry - Glad you're doing the Solo tomorrow - good luck. I'm using an Amsoil dual bypass oil filter, which I have used on several cars over the last 8 years. One of the filters is a full flow filter like standard filters, the other is a fine filter which takes out very small (1 micron) particles from the oil. About 10% of the oil flow goes through it, so it takes a number of minutes for all the oil to run through that filter. The lower flow rate through it would not allow it to be the only filter. I've had really good luck with these. I'v mounted the filters in the left air intake area, where brake cooling air goes under the filters, but the filters are exposed sufficiently to be cooled. Oil change intervals with this setup are 1 year or 25,000 miles. At 6 months, one replaces the full flow filter and tops off the oil. I had to make a bracket to mount this setup, but it's not difficult to do if you like that sort of thing. Let me know if you guys want more info on this setup. I'm using Amsoil oil, as well. Jeff B in CO

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wait, run that by me again....

You mean you only have to change oil once a year with that set up???

How much does that dual filter cost??? How often do you have to replace it? I never heard of such shit!

thanks,
-solrac-

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes - you only have to change oil once a year. The dual filter mount (with hoses and hardware) is $200. The full flow filter is $10 and the bypass (fine) filter is $26. The one year oil change interval can be extended ( I do this on my van) with oil analysis. The bypass filter removes contaminants standard filters can't and makes these extended changes possible. I can get you hooked up with one if you're interested. Jeff B.

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
solrac said:
...I think someone said Motul 500 or something like that was the best?
Motul 600 is one of the best BRAKE fluids.

Someone else mentioned Redline ATF or something...
At one time, Redline ATF was recommended for the TRANNY

Or is Mobil 1 best?
Mobile 1 is good; Redline and Amsoil are better, imo.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get it straight from the Amsoil factory. Jeff

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
I honestly would not be worried about having "the best" motor oil. With todays lubricants, engines really only fail because of some sort of negligence of some kind, whether it be operator, mechanical or single turbo :) What IS important however, is consistency. It is not a good idea to use brand X motor, then brand Y, then back Z etc. It's best to pick one brand and stick to it. I would recommend Mobil 1 because it's price and availability. Look for a link from www.mkiv.com under tech articles in regard to the mobile one million mile test. A brand new BMW 300 series was run for 4 years straight through 1,000,000 simulated miles. When the engine was torn town at the end of the test *EVERYTHING* was within good tolerances, many parts we even within NEW tolerances. If you're concerned about longevity I would be more concerned about how your car is tuned.

-Mike

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amsoil 10W-30 in my motor
Amsoil 75W-90 in my differential
Soon: Amsoil 75W-90 in my 6 speed.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think this whole "V160 is the only fluid" misconception is hilarious. Some numbskulls put a ATF in their Getrags, then find out they ruined a seal. Anyone know what ATF means:

AUTOMATIC
Transmission
Fluid

Know what ATF is supposed to do that manual fluid doesn't? Clean like hell! Auto trannies have the clutch packs INSIDE. ATF has some serious cleaners in it that are supposed to keep the clutch material from clogging passages. These cleaners will screw up soft materials not designed for it. Like seals and bushings in a Getrag tranny!

A GEAR OIL won't do that. I put this same Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90 in a pretty notchy tranny in a 91 Eclipse GS-T I used to have right after I bought it. The tranny all of a sudden shifted beautifully.

What if all I have ever drank was water, then I drank rubbing alcohol and got sick. Should you believe me when I tell you anything other than water will make you puke?

·
"Philzilla"
694 Posts
AnArKey said:
Some numbskulls put a ATF in their Getrags, then find out they ruined a seal. Anyone know what ATF means:

AUTOMATIC
Transmission
Fluid

Know what ATF is supposed to do that manual fluid doesn't? Clean like hell! Auto trannies have the clutch packs INSIDE. ATF has some serious cleaners in it that are supposed to keep the clutch material from clogging passages. These cleaners will screw up soft materials not designed for it. Like seals and bushings in a Getrag tranny!
FYI: Esso Dextron ATF 21065 is listed as the only equivalent to the Toyota V-160 oil in the Toyota Supra Repair Manual. According to Mobile1/Esso, this Toyota V-160 equivalent is simple Dextron II ATF. I'd suggest that you do a little more research before you call someone derogatory names.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/getrag/specs/

·
SF.com Member #0000000023
1,219 Posts
I'd also like to add.....

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/getrag/no_redline/getrag.html

This is the official response from Getrag.

-Mike

pwpanas said:

FYI: Esso Dextron ATF 21065 is listed as the only equivalent to the Toyota V-160 oil in the Toyota Supra Repair Manual. According to Mobile1/Esso, this Toyota V-160 equivalent is simple Dextron II ATF. I'd suggest that you do a little more research before you call someone derogatory names.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/getrag/specs/

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Im running Mobil 1 in my Supra... but any of the top Synthetics should do you good I would imagine.. some of the other suggestions were good too.. just dont buy cheap oil and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I wonder how Anarkey came to the technical conclusion that Amsoil 75W-90 was appropriate for the getrag six speed. It is appropriate for the W58 tranny for the 2JZ-GE but not for the V-160 transmission according to my Toyota shop manual. The reason I said Anarkey was a gambling man because of the reported problems people have had even switching to Redline ATF fluid and having a bushing swell. I don't like paying $38 a liter for V-160 but I like it better than what a new tranny costs for an inappropriate substitute.
Barry H. 94ttsupra

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I believe Toyota specs a friction modifier for the Supra's LSD tranny even though it doesn't need it. My understanding is that the friction modifiers are needed in clutch type LSDs, not Torsen types. I don't know why Toyota would have done that, anyone have any answers?? I've been using Redline in my tranny for 1 year with no apparent adverse results. Jeff B.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jeff,
Man you got me confused. You talk about Toyota's LSD (limited slip differential?) tranny? Then you mention Torsen, which is the type of rear differential the Supra has. The differential and transmission are two different things. If you are putting redline in the transmission just know that others who have done so have reported problems resulting from it on this site and MKIV site.There is a response by Getrag, the V-160 tranny manuf. on the MKIV site to using other tranny fluids than specified by Getrag/Toyota. You may want to go to the link cited by pwpanas and V8this. If I misunderstood my apologies.
Barry 94ttsupra 6p.:p

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Hey Jeff, the smiley sticking out his tongue was a mistake. Hell it just looked like a smiley when I clicked on it. In case you thought I was being a smart ass.
Barry H.94ttsupra 6sp.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Barry - My brain is disengaged this morning. I mean rear end. I've been so used to FWD that I still think the differential sits in the tranny. In the Supra, they're only like 5 feet apart. I'm using synthetic gear oil in the differential, without a friction modifier, and Redline in the tranny, where the differential isn't. Whew, it's been a tough week. Jeff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts