Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which one? I used BG with great results in my DSM. Hows about Mobile One (I see alot of MK3 guys using this).

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im about to change my tran fluid and red line is the way im going.
people i know say you get better engagement in to gear.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the way it was with the BG Syncomesh in my DSM. THe evey harsh shifting DSM tranny was suprisingly smooth and easy after the fluid swap. Its starting to look as if pretty much all these reputable names have very similar results. I think i may try the Mobile One this time around because of how easy it is to get a hold of (plus might as well since Ill be going with the Mobile One oil and oil filter ;) ).

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Bishop. I did the search, but I was looking to see if anyone had any experience with using BG Synchromesh in the R154 in particular.

Looks like Redline is the most popular choice. Im going Redline in the rear, Id might as well go either Mobile One or Redline in the tranny as well.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I've always ran Redline also. I believe MTL. Anyhow, yes it's good, but it doesn't make the gears butter smooth. Still notchy and a bitch to shift fast. It ain't smooth like the Acura NSX tranny that's for sure.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
hell yea, Redline is damn good, what about Royal Purple? I hear they are as good, if not better then Redline

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Royal Purple all the way.

That's what we put in all our customer cars here and PHR as well uses it in all their customer cars.

I tried Amsoil & Redline, and while they gave good results, they did no where near as good as the Royal Purple did. I have it both my cars now and just about all my family members use it now too :)

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Royal Purple didn't work too well in my tranny. It felt like the Redline MT-90 did, better then stock but not as good as LWSP or MTL. I didn't like it so I went back to Redline LWSP.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I put castrol syntec synthetic in mine, and gained 5% fuel economy. My tranny didnt have any shifting problems before, and I haven't noticed any changes. My output shaft seal doesnt leak though!

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
The R154 tranny can only use GL-4 rated oil correct???? Isn't GL-5 over time corrosive???

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
hmmm...bottom line, what to use??? Royal Purple....or Redline??? I think I'm leaning towards Redline....

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny no one has even tried GM synthetic fluid or BG syncho-mesh fluid. maybe I should be the guine pig here.

·
Supra Dupra
534 Posts
Dieselboy said:
Funny no one has even tried GM synthetic fluid or BG syncho-mesh fluid. maybe I should be the guine pig here.
That stuff works wonders on the harsh DSM trannys. Road Race always recommend that stuff for it. Used it when I had my Galant VR4. But that's the DSM community...if Redline is tried and true...I'm gonna use that for my Supra. :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
all depends on the materials used in the gearbox...until every manufacturer uses the same material, there will be no-one-brand fits-all-kinda deal

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I will probably be the guinepig then and try BG synchromesh. I will bring this thread back after my review with it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts