Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, on our ¼ mile track, asphalt is very slippery, that is why I spin on 17’’ BFG DR on first three gears. I was thinking about buying ET tires for stock 17’’ rims but I am afraid that they would not hold well. I have decided to buy 15’’ rims and drag slicks. What and where should I buy? Please advice as I have “0” experience with drag tires and rims…

Kind Regards

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi there!

Don´t expect to get traction on our asphalt street - tracks that we run at, here in Europe.

I bought MT streets for my Corvette and expected to pull the dront tires (skinnies) like the US guys do.

But I spun the tires bad in whole first gear.
It´s just too slippy on our tracks.

So no, not even the 15" MT street setup will cure your problem.

But it def. will make it WAY better !!

I would go 15", too......best you can do.
Yes, as T78supra allready told you, you´ll need non turbo breaks
in the rear for that.

But I would go with the 28" hoosier slicks (I will get these, soon, too).
Best traction you can get to hook up as good as possible on the slippy asphalt.

Hope that helped,

Michael

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
I guess we don't realize how well we really have it here (Dragstrip-wise) in the States?
Since it sounds like your really basically street racing, I would look into the possibility of some VHT http://www.bazellracefuels.com/VHT.htm
It will absolutely help with launches and beginning track preperation.
If you have no traction because of the asphalt, bigger tires won't really help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
IStandalone said:
I guess we don't realize how well we really have it here (Dragstrip-wise) in the States?
Since it sounds like your really basically street racing, I would look into the possibility of some VHT http://www.bazellracefuels.com/VHT.htm
It will absolutely help with launches and beginning track preperation.
If you have no traction because of the asphalt, bigger tires won't really help.
Excellent suggestion, and it was my first idea as well. It sounds like you all are in desperate need of some VHT to spray on your tracks. Proper track preperation is much more important than the kind of tires you are using, because without the proper prep even big ET Streets aren't going to help you.

-m

·
Not compensating at all
185 Posts
Haha, the only bad thing about using VHT is being compared to the Integra/Civic street racers (at least the competent ones). They won't even line up on the street without at least a squirt.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Problem is that we need to drive on "normal" streets most of the time that are just closed for racing and then opened again.
Or maybe sometimes we can run on little airports.

Both will NOT allow us to spray VHT !!

So all we can do is using slicks instead of MT streets to get an even softer tire and then add a little more sidewall (maybe up to 28" tires).

That´s why I ment 15" with 28" Hoosier slicks may be the best to get for our needs............

Sometimes I really wished to live in the US......

Michael

·
Registered
353 Posts
Austrian Supra said:
Problem is that we need to drive on "normal" streets most of the time that are just closed for racing and then opened again.
Or maybe sometimes we can run on little airports.

Both will NOT allow us to spray VHT !!

So all we can do is using slicks instead of MT streets to get an even softer tire and then add a little more sidewall (maybe up to 28" tires).

That´s why I ment 15" with 28" Hoosier slicks may be the best to get for our needs............

Sometimes I really wished to live in the US......

Michael
Michael,

I would still recommend getting some VHT and applying it to the tires after doing a burnout. It's tedious and difficult but I guarantee you'll see an improvement on your first pass. You are in a difficult situation and you will kind of have to make due with what options you have. If you can't spray it on the streets, spray it on the tires :)

Move the US, we could always use more Supra enthusiasts :). I have 2 top notch drag strips with 1 hour driving of here, and another medicore one that is also an hour away. 3 in total :)

1 of them is arguably the fastest tracks in the USA (Route 66)

Best of luck,

-m

·
Registered
577 Posts
Marcus Frost said:
Michael,

I would still recommend getting some VHT and applying it to the tires after doing a burnout. It's tedious and difficult but I guarantee you'll see an improvement on your first pass. You are in a difficult situation and you will kind of have to make due with what options you have. If you can't spray it on the streets, spray it on the tires :)

Move the US, we could always use more Supra enthusiasts :). I have 2 top notch drag strips with 1 hour driving of here, and another medicore one that is also an hour away. 3 in total :)

1 of them is arguably the fastest tracks in the USA (Route 66)

Best of luck,

-m
Thanks Marcus!

BTW, I did try VHT on the tires....I think it was called "track bite".
I got it from Summit and did use it on the MT streets after the burnout.
But I didn´t see much of a gain.

I would love to have it sprayed at the track........

Michael

·
My mind is forged
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it possible to get rid of VHT from asphalt after races? Clean it with benzine or something?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts