Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For street application. Rarely driven. Very rarely raced. Never, ever driven in the rain. But just incase, I would like just enough tread to that I can make it home without sliding around corners at 10 mph. I'm at about 430rwhp.

BF Goodrich:

KD (?)
KDW (what I'm leaning towards now due to suggestion)
Drag Radial (streetable? looks sweet, and grips like crazy)

Good Year:

F1 (Car and Driver winner)

Michelin:

Pilot Sport 1 (what i have now, pretty decent tire)
Pilot Sport 2 (I've heard it's awesome, but dont know personally)

Any other suggestions are welcome. These are just the main ones I'm looking at.

·
Something cool
670 Posts
kdw or drag radials both will be fine the drag radials won't spin at all even launching. All the other tires suck at traction and would prolly spin to 60.

·
wastegate hose is pulled
4,586 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised by the Falken Azenis RT-615. I put a pair on the back of my BPU+ for better traction. The biggest downside seems to be that they are maybe a bit noisy but I'm thinking of getting another pair for the front regardless. They stick BPU power levels no problem when warm, no issues with rain and they seem to be holding up alot better than drag radials (longer treadwear).

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Drag radials are great if all you want to do in your car is go straight. No fun at all on a twisting back road, or a sweeping freeway offramp.

·
T88 YOU
3,567 Posts
ummmm, i wouldnt get BFG drag radials unless you plan on NEVER driving in the rain EVER! they are really scary in the rain and are hard to get any kind of traction whatsoever, even just babying it you will get sideways. as far as dry traction though, they cant be beat. for best overall dry/wet traction put some nitto nt555r's in the rear and regular 555's in the front, for me that was the best wet and dry combo, though the BFG's hook much better in dry.

·
'94 TT Blk/Blk 6 spd
145 Posts
BFG KD, hands down

I'm running these on all corners on a my BPU+ 6spd car. 295/35/18s in the rear. And after previously spinning the Nitto 555's, which yielded huge traction problems all the way through 2nd, the tires now have transformed the street use of the car. When the tires are warm, there is little to no traction problem, even in a 1st punch. I haven't hit the rain in them yet, however, for being a non-drag radial and cheaper than the PS2s, I don't think it can be beat.

-Taylor

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
After pm'ing a few members here, I too decided to try the Falken Azenis RT-615. I have been very surprised with their performance and value. They are, by far, less noisy that the KDW's/BFG-DR's they replaced. Great traction. Cool-looking tread. Not sure they are the greatest in the wet, though.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
when the michilen pilot sports are more than 1/2 new they are a awsome tire...... mine now are 1/4 tread for reason :) and spin untill 65 mph good tie alittle pricey but worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I work at America's Tire Co. I see tires everyday. You have a good choice of tires on your list. If you really want a high performing tire I would suggest the GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 SUPERCAR EMT. It is a pretty top notch tire. I would definetly recommend it for road racing. Keep in mind this is a RUNFLAT tire so the sidewall is very reinforced. All the cars ive seen these go on are Corvette ZO6.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Eww. You would actually recommend a run-flat???

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yeah it rains very randomly here in utah so i need something that can get me home incase it rains. As much as I'd love them Radials are out.

KDW - 2 votes

PS2 - 1 vote

555 - 1 vote / 1 vote against

Falken - 2 votes

F1- 1 vote (lol at hiken's comment)

As of now I'm leaning towards the KDW's. The reason I'm thinking this is because I heard of a demenstration they did with all the tires out at LHM raceway here in utah. The Eagle F1's did well, as did the PS1's and PS2's but the KDW's above them. Anybody else have any input???

·
Old School
4,067 Posts
The GSC Supra that just placed third overall in OLOA ran PS2s.

/thread

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went with KDW's as PS2's were too expensive and DR's were not as streetable as I'd like. Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I hear a lot of good things about Bridgestone so3 pole position tires. Its supposed to provide great grip even when they are worn. I personally have the Bf goodrich kdw tires on my supra and on my daily driven rx-8 and I absoluteley love them. They are a great value for the performance, ride quality, smoothness, looks that you get.

·
Turbos and Tattoos FTW
1,981 Posts
I've ran Falkens ZE-512's and 451s on the stockers and have nothing but good remarks for them...Driven in the rain and dry weather Great price and treadlife.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the Bridgestone Pole Position S03 on my BPU supra and was not impressed. Quiet - yes, but spun way too easily. For the price, I would not recommend them.

·
The Don of SF!!!
92 Posts
BFG KDWs !! .... great traction all around for me ... by far one of the best tires I have owned

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
BFG KD, hands down

I'm running these on all corners on a my BPU+ 6spd car. 295/35/18s in the rear. And after previously spinning the Nitto 555's, which yielded huge traction problems all the way through 2nd, the tires now have transformed the street use of the car. When the tires are warm, there is little to no traction problem, even in a 1st punch. I haven't hit the rain in them yet, however, for being a non-drag radial and cheaper than the PS2s, I don't think it can be beat.

-Taylor
Did you have to roll the fenders to get those. I thought the biggest you could have was 285's before they would start rubbing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts