Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gearing up to buy a track car in the next few months. Just something to toss around on the road courses and time trials, but also to have some fun in the sun. There's alot of choices out there. Would love some advice. Any other ideas? What's a fun car to toss around? Thanks in advance. Here's what interests me so far:

Boxster
e46 M3 Cab
Z3/Z4 M
911 Cab

I'm really leaning towards the Boxster or Z3/Z4 M.

· Who's the Master?!
6,272 Posts
Boxster S. I'm not a fan of the M3 cab, 911 cab or the Z3/Z4 cabs, so my opinion is biased. The Boxster would be my no. 1 choice regardless.

· Banned
1,023 Posts
C5 with mods. Parts are reasonable and plentiful.

Boxter just screams I CANT AFFORD A REAL PORSCHE!!

· Registered
3,296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone have experience with a S2000 on the track?

· Roll Tide
3,537 Posts
Anyone have experience with a S2000 on the track?
I don't personally, but a friend of mine has tracked his a little. Apparent the AP1's have really bad oversteer problems and the AP2's are not much better.

Matter of fact, this same friend of mine was driving through a tunnel one day (the road was wet) and he down shifted (tried to rev match as best as he could) because he was approaching slower moving traffic and the back end just spun around out of nowhere...

He wound up countersteering and avoiding the wall for the most part, but his front bumper still got ripped off.

· Registered
3,745 Posts
c6 convt
350z (more comfortable than a s2000)
except certain boxsters, all the others will be acquired with high mileage and a paint to maintain

· BMW Tech
487 Posts
For all around I would get a Z4 M vert. Fast, light and a convertible. Also does great on the track. It doesn't need any mods to womp on S2000's, boxers, evos or sti's but it will only do that with a good driver.

· Aspiring viking
3,013 Posts
  • Tell us about the road courses. Are they long and fast or short and technical?
  • Do you want to modify it or leave it bone stock?
  • If you plan to modify it, does your budget include mods?
  • Do you plan to do all of your own wrenching or have someone else handle those duties?
  • Do you have any power requirements? If so, quantify them for us.

I would expect the S2000 would likely be the most reliable option, but the least powerful.

I would think the BMW M roadsters will have the best weight-to-power ratios and, from most accounts, the most "raw" driving experience. I believe the Z3M Roadster used the older rear suspension design from the E36 chassis. I think finding a clean Z4M will be a challenge with that budget.

I would think the Boxster S would be a balance between the BMW and the Honda in handling and power.

If you are going to be tracking the car, you want to consider the cost of consumables like tires and brakes and do some research into their cooling systems to find out if the stock set up is adequate or if you have to budget for added or upgraded items like oil coolers or radiators. All three of the above have plenty of owners that track them, so you shouldn't have too hard a time finding resources to answer those questions.

I think I heard that http://corner-carvers.com/ is a good signal:noise ratio site for a diverse group of road course enthusiasts.

· Registered
2,347 Posts
I don't know if you can find a 993 Cab for 25k or under, but I haven't looked either. I vote for the S2k. You can get them fairly cheap now and then spend money on quality coilovers, sway bars, and sticky tires. After that you just need seat time...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.