Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 93.5 has the auto. i would like to do some road racin when i finally get this thing together. i would like to keep the auto, but am not sure about how well it would do out there. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Think Vick runs an auto when he road races, VickSupra is it? Maybe give him a buzz?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
what exactly are you askin by best tranny for road course? Obviously a 6speed would yeild better results, but if you wanna keep your auto just go out in your auto. Put the car in manual mode and end of story. Make sure you got a tranny cooler on there before you start beating up on the car though. Im sure if you wanted to you could go with a built toyo unit, but if aint broke...

Alex

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Marc-P said:
Think Vick runs an auto when he road races, VickSupra is it? Maybe give him a buzz?
I do.
It's not optimum, but it works better than you might think.
Since I can go up to 80 mph in 2nd, that covers most of the corners at the tracks I go to. I can go to 120+ in D, then shift up to OD. It actually lets you think more about the other parts of driving not to spend so much time grinding through the gears.
Definitely get one or two tranny coolers!
Right now I don't know how long my stock tranny will last (it has 126K miles) but I'm going to find out!

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
oh yeah i forgot about that. for the longer track you are gonna have to get a little creative and turn MANU off and switch the car into OD IF you are gonnna use manu mode. Do you use it at all Vick? I never put my TRAC fuse back in so I just shift it anyways though.

Alex

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i was thinkin about doin the t400 swap i keep hearin about. i hear the auto is great for keepin full boost, but i dont get to play with gears

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
Alx2785 said:
oh yeah i forgot about that. for the longer track you are gonna have to get a little creative and turn MANU off and switch the car into OD IF you are gonnna use manu mode. Do you use it at all Vick? I never put my TRAC fuse back in so I just shift it anyways though.

Alex
I leave the trac fuse in but turn off traction control.
I don't use MANU mode.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Im in the same boat with the auto too, and plan on doing some track days as soon as I turn 18 next year. I get out to some good empty roads at least once a week though.

I dont have any tranny coolers so I am a little tentative to use Manu very much. If im entering a low speed turn I will switch it to manual and go to 2nd, but for anything over 50mph I just work the overdrive.

Im starting to use 2nd more (in MANU), and the one thing I have picked up on is downshifting behaves exactly like a manual transmission. You have to blip to get it to stay smooth, and sometimes use some LFB also. That may be old news to most of you but it made a big difference to me.

Vick, are you going to do barber in the fall again?

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
twistedmethod333 said:

Vick, are you going to do barber in the fall again?
The only event I am aware of at Barber is July 15-16 (Chin Motorsports).
I can't make that one because of my knee.
If you know of any other one later, I'd like to go. Neither Chin nor Tracquest is doing an event over Thanksgiving like the last couple of years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts