Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting for 450-500whp with my project, and i was wonder what you guys think is the best turbo for that HP with good streetable characteristics and would also be able to get more out of it in the future. thinking of maybe a 60 or 62-1 or t70, something.
Let me know your opinion???
thanks

· Registered
774 Posts
I have a SP57 and made 450 rwhp at 17 psi on stock fuel and stock ic. It will make full boost at around 4k rpm. I know that w/ a front mount and 20 psi it will make about 500 rwho. I absolutely love it!

· Very Senior Member
10,533 Posts
RCGsupra said:
I have a SP57 and made 450 rwhp at 17 psi on stock fuel and stock ic. It will make full boost at around 4k rpm. I know that w/ a front mount and 20 psi it will make about 500 rwho. I absolutely love it!
Same here. I like it's characteristics.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
mike91t said:
I had a SP63 which spools nice. Your gonna want more in the long run so go bigger :)
True. I've seen it for years -- particularly with 6-speed cars -- people think they want something small or mid-sized because they think they will be happy with 500 whp and they think that lag will be an issue. Then 3 months after they get their small turbo they're shopping for the biggest thing that will fit under the hood. :D
I'm sure some will chime in and say that they are happy with their small turbo, but for every one that still feels that way, there's probably 10 that have learned for themselves that bigger is better. :)

· A right, not a privilege
5,579 Posts
Lagtime said:
Budget Kit
Why do people feel the need to abbreviate everything these days??

USA I know.

YSATI is something that the average person wouldn't know. It means You Suck At The Internet and for me to assume that everyone know what I'm talking about is silly.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
ikiwnwabt

jeremy,
that means "I know I will never want a bigger turbo" ;)

If all you're really interested in is straight line highway pulls and drag racing, what Boost Junkie said is more likely to be true. But if you like to track your car and want good throttle response coming out of corners, or like that kind of response on the street, not to mention the amount of hp that the driver and chassis can handle on a twisty road, a large turbo won't cut it IMO. I went with a PHR Stg1 ...low boost could be around 500whp, up the boost and octane or inject some meth and you have over 600whp.

· Old School
4,441 Posts
jeremyhelling said:
Why do people feel the need to abbreviate everything these days??

USA I know.

YSATI is something that the average person wouldn't know. It means You Suck At The Internet and for me to assume that everyone know what I'm talking about is silly.
FWIW, I agree. ;)

· Old School
4,441 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
ikiwnwabt

jeremy,
that means "I know I will never want a bigger turbo" ;)

I went with a PHR Stg1 ...low boost could be around 500whp, up the boost and octane or inject some meth and you have over 600whp.
I have the PHR Stage 1, you'll like it a lot. My goal was a fun mountain road car, it delivers (for me, at least).

If I lived somewhere flat, where the roadmap looked like a piece graph paper, I'd be more inclined to do the huge turbo thing.

· Registered
1,189 Posts
here's mine:
- limit engineering gt61p
- this dyno @ 19psi
- stock fuel
- restrictive greddy sp exhaust
- map-ecu tuned
- full boost by 3700rpm
- best run was 498rwhp peak

if i ever find the time, i can install Derek's methanol kit and probably get 600-620rwhp.... one of these days :)

- chuck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.