Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to upgrade my stock twins with a bigger turbo kit. I am looking for something for street use, so I don't need big turbos with lag. How is the HKSGT2835 kit...will that turbo be good on the street? How is the lag? Some guys say I should boost my stock twins and play around with those until they give up. What would I need to boost them up and still also use the equipment, when I upgrade. What are the best products out there? Do I need BCC, FCD, guages and boost controller, and will I still need these when I upgrade? I currently have a TRD filter, RMM downpipe and Apexi GT spec exhaust. LMK

Thanks,
Nak

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
Ah man... you're going to get blasted for putting one of the most common questions on this forum. Let me tell you, first use the search button, then if you can't find, post. Just for future reference.

Alright. The HKS 2835GT Ball Bearing turbo kit is extremely laggy. Only a few owners run this because of the price and the lag. On the street I imagine it like running a big single with a 1.00 A/R. You should play with your stock twins until they kick the bucket... that's if money is an issue. To boost them up all you need is a boost controller and a BCC (so you don't hit the boost cut). If you have some money left over, a FMIC and a BOV will complete the package. You'll have around 400 crank hp.

The only thing you won't need if you decide on a stand alone ECU when going single turbo is the BCC which you can sell readily fast. IMO the best products come from HKS (BOV) and GReddy (FMIC, Boost controller, BCC) for the basic performance upgrade. As far as going single, you have to decide how much hp you want to run. Will you need a fuel system? Stand alone ECU? First decide how much whp you want. Then search. There are turbo kits by the big companies: HKS, GReddy, Blitz and by companies that are coming up in ranks: Sound Performance, Boost Logic, PHR, HPF, WOTM, Induction Motorsports. The latter companies actually STAND behind their kits, offer advice/tech help, and the quality of their kits are superb... far better than the big Jap companies.

Do a search before buying. You'd want a kit that if something goes wrong (God forbid), there's someone there that you can call, assist you, and solve the problem.

·
Supralicious
872 Posts
For street you'd want a small single with low A/R.
For a FAST SPOOLING street turbo, I'd go with Induction Motorsports.
Cast iron manifolds = FAST spool-ups.

Good luck bro.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.