Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are good turbo kits for a MKIV drift car. I was thinking that the huge single turbo kits would not help me as much as the twin turbo setup due to shorter lag, but I am not familiar with the large singles as I have not upgraded yet. \

Im looking for constructive feedback to give me some insight into possible turbo setups that work well for drifting.

...post away!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Legion44 said:
What are good turbo kits for a MKIV drift car. I was thinking that the huge single turbo kits would not help me as much as the twin turbo setup due to shorter lag, but I am not familiar with the large singles as I have not upgraded yet. \

Im looking for constructive feedback to give me some insight into possible turbo setups that work well for drifting.

...post away!

My guess would be a GT30 or something along those lines.... Look up the amuse Supra I belive on best motoring, it had about 500hp and INSANE response (excellent on the roadcourse and I assume drifting as well)

·
Registered
320 Posts
i'm doing Ballbearing 60-1 on my 7m. picking the right turbo is the hardest thing to do. basically i look for 2 things, what RPm will i have full boost at? and will that turbo hold the boost to redline? you want your TQ peak to be as early as possible while maintaing the TQ band as far across the power band as you could get it.

this graph is of my formula D 240sx with a turbo KA24de. just has pistons and a head gasket. both graphs are the same motor on the same gas, just different turbo set up's. the blue line was a Ball Bearing gt2540r bottom mount internally gated .82 a/r turbo. the red line is a standard non-BB t3/t4 .63 a/r top mount t3 flange, externally gated. the t3/t4 was at about 16 psi. the gt2540 was at close to 19 psi.

the properly sized turbo makes all the difference in the world. the gt2540 has trouble spining and maintaing the tires spiining in the top of third gear. while the new t3/t4 comes on faster and stays later. no clutch kicks needed. just put your foot on the floor and go.

now if i could only get the KA to rev as high as an SR!! lol

·
Boost Dealer
980 Posts
240sx. If you wanna drift, PLEASE get yourself a 240 or an AE86. That way you won't wreck
your MKIV. Wait, if you do wreck your MKIV can I have the engine for my other MKII?

Jeff

·
Registered
320 Posts
sorry off topic, but Jtamulis, your mk2 is sexxy as shit!! its about time someone put those wheels on a mk2!!! very nice, ifyou ever want to sell it PM ME!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jtamulis said:
240sx. If you wanna drift, PLEASE get yourself a 240 or an AE86. That way you won't wreck
your MKIV. Wait, if you do wreck your MKIV can I have the engine for my other MKII?

Jeff
everyone and their aunties drift 240sxs. I have a AE86 Hachi, but its stripped down to a shell with only suspension components.

I have been drifting my MKIV for a little bit now and its doing reasonably well considering i have 120k miles on my turbos and shocks. Im replacing the worn shocks and struts with JIC coilovers and upgraded sway bars very soon, but now im thinking that i am just going to rebuild my stock turbos instead of spending thousands on a new turbo setup while not being able to afford the supporting mods such as electronics and fuel delivery.

·
Registered
137 Posts
twins will get you more then enough power to get drifting. eventually i'll be jstu doing twins hopefully around 400 horses cuase that's as much as my tranny will hold.

·
Registered
22 Posts
turbo kits for drifting? You want something small IE ur OEM turbo. Espeically if your just starting out, too much power is hard to drift on. Look into Garett's GT line. Ball bearing turbos spool fast as balls. you want throttle response for drifting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
when choosing a turbo for drift... since this is my forte'. i chose... wait wait, let me explain better....

1. pick a HP goal... in my 240sx i picked 350whp with around 370 tq.

2. then pick the smallest turbo that falls of right there... in my case i went with a brand new Garrett .48 hot 50trim that is only capable of 400 hp.... so im using the best of it rather than puting a turbo capable of 600 hp and never spooling....

3. its very important (for drift) that you have a fast spooling turbo in whichever rev half you choose.... some guys drift 2nd gear pegged at 8k, and some drift in 3rd gear at 4k... no one drifts in first gear because there is no such thing as a first gear drift

4. so to add to the "when i want power, i'll have it" situation, i also upped the compression on my motor from 9.5 to 10:1... i know this seems an unorthodox thing to do, but trust me, it feels like the car is NA wit hthe powerband/tq curve, SO SEXXY

5. so its really up to you guys.... look at it this way... most AMs use around 200-300whp, most semipros/pros use between 350 and 450.... and soem of the overkillers use 600, but usually not any more.... remember ,drifting is not about power.... its more about suspension/LSD, BUT WHAT ITS REALLY ABOUT is the driver and his compatibility/relationship with the car that he/she is driving.... ive seen kids rip in stitch welded full blown "drift cars" and i've seen kids with 155 hp stock 240sx motors i ntheir stoc kcars... with the only supporting mods being coilovers and VLSD ripping just as hard!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^^^ sorry for the long explanation, but for a supra.... id do small twins.... maybe not identical, maybe sequential... but not too far apart

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
update update! One of my friends(a sort of know drifter) Luke Londerberg test drove my car because we had to fix something, and he said there was MORE than enough power to get a smokey slide.

Keep in mind it's an '88 5spd turbo with cat back and intake only. I guess this means the mk4's shouldn't have any trouble sliding stock?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you are not takign in to account enough factors,.....it doesnt matter how fast the car can accellerate, granted it helps, its nto what will keep you from drifting.... like i said, you guys are not looking for a combination of things that make for a worthy drift car... you want an easy explanation, which i cannot give... but the most important part of a "drift" car is the driver

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haha exactly!!! no just messin!! actually, its as easy as going to an event and riding with someone, the care (you will find out) has certain "breaking points" like.... when its able to be ready to go sideways (due to momentum and such) it can be put sideways,.... if its not ready... you just understeer!

its like a flick of the wrist, its a smooth motion.... note how a baseball can be thrown that much faster while flickign the wrist... same with cars, its that "snap" that allows the rear to be shocked and come out, projecting the rear end sideways, while using the front tires to guide the body around the corner.... as the rear end must be disciplined as so it doesnt go too far and oversteer, or too little angle and understeer

·
Jihad Killer
1,201 Posts
BPU engine,intake,exhaust,EBC and a good clutch...........
Spend your money on suspension,wheels,tires,drift day events etc..Get good at drifting itself and then spend on power..A BPUed 2JZ is plenty to get you going....

I went with a s-13 coupe with a LS1 in it and a full build down to stich welding my chassis,suspension to the max etc......

Honestly i wouldnt drift a MKIV unless you have some $$$$$ to waste.......

If you look at a car that goes to allot of drift events you will see the damage that it has, no MKIV deserves that.....

Ax

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
When I saw the Jasper drift Supra here at the NM Drift Day, it was painful to see a MK4 so beat, even if the RP-03's were pretty. I hope that doesn't happen to your car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if u have a TT Supra, you already have PLENTY of power to drift. If you try to upgrade your motor to have 400HP or something ridiculous, you will have a hard time learning to keep control. I found it best to start with what you have, espeically if your supra already is fast, and learn from there until you can actually feel that your car's performance is restricting your driving performance.

I started off a 240SX with a drift ready suspension (coilovers, bushings, 2 way LSD, ect ect )with 250BHP riding on 195 tires in the rear and let me tell ya, the first time i hit the track, i realized how much i underestimated what my car was capable of. Infact, i felt like it was easier to drift with LESS power, but that was probably because i have crazy neg camber in the rear on 195 tires lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts