Votes: 4 11.1%
  • HKS Twin Disk Kit

Votes: 3 8.3%
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just need some reviews and personal experience on these clutches.

·
Banned
109 Posts
rps twin without a doubt. countless good reviews. it can hold 1000whp. stock pedal engagement or better, can be rebuilt. rps even has a triple disk version out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not many are voting, but I already knew that RPS is one of the best out there, rightnow i have the single plate RPS but the pedal is a bitch.....Plus it wont hold past 700hp.....
I tought when i was reading about the exeddy clutch it seems like a bad ass clutch...but few ppl told they are garbage...I need to know why? making statements without info...does not help me at all.

·
Banned
109 Posts
the exedy carbons probally work well but the orgranic disc ones do not. they shredd when you slip them. and for the price of the exedy carbon might as well go with the rps twin disc. im not sure if exedy offers a rebuild service.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the exedy carbons probally work well but the orgranic disc ones do not. they shredd when you slip them. and for the price of the exedy carbon might as well go with the rps twin disc. im not sure if exedy offers a rebuild service.
I see....it does make sense.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Exedy does offer a rebuild on their carbon clutches but it isn't like the RPS rebuilds where there is a flat fee. It depends on what parts you need, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
RPS carbon/carbon ftw!!!

I have the RPS, had the RPS stage 3 w/ sprung hub before, and can say that the carbon is soooo streetable when compared to the stage 3 6-puck. The clutch does rattle, but you're gonna get that anytime you remove the dual-mass flywheel. The clutch does engage very high off the floor, but its great for racing. The clutch actually gets better as it gets hotter (like all out race brake pads). The rating is for 1200 lb. ft. torque which is insane for a clutch that will last forever and have a pedal feel like this one does. RPS also has a full rebuild for around $500 I think (Dusty can confirm all of this) and carry a limited warrenty. Another nice perk is that if RPS ever makes a revision of the clutch (which they have in the past) they will send you a brand new one free of charge.

If you want an official opinion on the RPS carbon/carbon, ask Dusty about his 1000+ hp daily and how long he's had this clutch in the setup.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I also wanted to throw in that the Exedy twin disk and TRD twin disk are the exact same thing with a different finish on them (do you like purple or red better?) and if you are considering them you might as well get the Exedy carbon

·
Supra Perfected
225 Posts
RPS carbon/carbon ftw!!!

I have the RPS, had the RPS stage 3 w/ sprung hub before, and can say that the carbon is soooo streetable when compared to the stage 3 6-puck. The clutch does rattle, but you're gonna get that anytime you remove the dual-mass flywheel. The clutch does engage very high off the floor, but its great for racing. The clutch actually gets better as it gets hotter (like all out race brake pads). The rating is for 1200 lb. ft. torque which is insane for a clutch that will last forever and have a pedal feel like this one does. RPS also has a full rebuild for around $500 I think (Dusty can confirm all of this) and carry a limited warrenty. Another nice perk is that if RPS ever makes a revision of the clutch (which they have in the past) they will send you a brand new one free of charge.

If you want an official opinion on the RPS carbon/carbon, ask Dusty about his 1000+ hp daily and how long he's had this clutch in the setup.
I totally agree with this review. I also have the clutch and it does slip nicely at high RPM. Slipping the clutch at low RPM (around 2K) starts to turn into a off on switch. I just wish the rattle would go away! Overall it's a nice clutch for the power it holds.

Dave

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
isnt there a way to still have a heavy flywheel with a RPS twin or triple..... So that it takes care of the Rattle? The weight issue isnt a problem for me i just want to keep out the rattle and still hold 700hp?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I totally agree with this review. I also have the clutch and it does slip nicely at high RPM. Slipping the clutch at low RPM (around 2K) starts to turn into a off on switch. I just wish the rattle would go away! Overall it's a nice clutch for the power it holds.

Dave
AS far as the rattle goes....lets say i decide to get the twin RPS carbon clutch would it be a bad idea to use the stock flywheel???? Or is the aluminum a must?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
RPS carbon/carbon ftw!!!

Rightnow i have the stage 3 RPS in it. I hate the late clutch engagement but i got use to it now...It rattles more when it gets hot..the pedal is crazy stiff and very anoying after a while. So if i can go dual mass flywheel on the carbon one, then that's a ticket for me.

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
AS far as the rattle goes....lets say i decide to get the twin RPS carbon clutch would it be a bad idea to use the stock flywheel???? Or is the aluminum a must?
i would also like to know this, because if guys move to aluminum only for wieght purposes i'll keep the extra weight for the non rattle noises/

·
Boost Junkie
12,625 Posts
You can't use the stock flywheel wtih teh carbon/carbon clutch because the flywheel is a friction surface that has the carbon material on it and mates one of the discs with carbon on it. YOu either have to go with the lightened flywheel or the Chromoly version that RPS makes because they have the carbon material on them..

Steve K

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
isnt there a way to still have a heavy flywheel with a RPS twin or triple..... So that it takes care of the Rattle? The weight issue isnt a problem for me i just want to keep out the rattle and still hold 700hp?
No, the RPS does have the option however, of using a chromoly or an aluminum flywheel. Contact Dusty for more info on this.

The stock flywheel cannot be used in this setup. If you want to keep the stock flywheel, then you need the RPS stage 3 sprung hub.

Rightnow i have the stage 3 RPS in it. I hate the late clutch engagement but i got use to it now...It rattles more when it gets hot..the pedal is crazy stiff and very anoying after a while. So if i can go dual mass flywheel on the carbon one, then that's a ticket for me.
Yea, I remember those days. It's a stiff ass pedal! And a very harsh engagement, I'd hate to see how the solid hub feels. But, like I said above, dual mass and the carbon is a no-no.

i would also like to know this, because if guys move to aluminum only for wieght purposes i'll keep the extra weight for the non rattle noises/
The aluminum/ chromoly is definetely for weight purposes, but you have to remember, this is not for only weight savings. This is rotational mass that you are saving, therefore, power is increased due to this weight loss. The rattle gets annoying (especially when the clutch is hot) but it goes away the moment you depress the clutch pedal.

You can't use the stock flywheel wtih teh carbon/carbon clutch because the flywheel is a friction surface that has the carbon material on it and mates one of the discs with carbon on it. YOu either have to go with the lightened flywheel or the Chromoly version that RPS makes because they have the carbon material on them..

Steve K
Correct. Go with the aluminum or the chromoly, but if you guys truly want that stock dual mass (though I cannot justify it), then you need to purchase the RPS stage 3 sprung hub.

I hope that this has been helpful info

Reid

·
Hawtness
1,598 Posts
Reid, awesome reply! Thanks , one last question if i go the Chromoly route will there still be rattle. Im also willing to go with a lesser clutch even if i burn it out quite off for NO rattle sounds at all!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts