Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well im trying to set my goal for the winter, which is to get my car to 700rwhp. Right now my setup is AEM, SP fuel, T78, 6spd etc. Im not sure which is going to be the best route to my goal. I know my 3-row is holding me back HP wise or should I say i know ill gain with a 4-row. I would also like to keep it under 30psi. Will a pair of 264's cams get me there? I am really trying to stay away from them but will deal with it if its the easiest way. Would it just be easier to stay T78 with cams? Would a turbo upgrade be worth it? Im also looking to upgrade to a 3.5 DP. Just looking for some possible directions and suggestions. Thanks!

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
that was my thought too. Aren't there some T04R members at 700 rwhp with just T78 and fuel and AEM?

·
Oh I think they like me.
714 Posts
Yes, I'd get retuned and a set of cams if you don't have...you don't need to switch from the 3row which peter used and made over 950whp I don't think thats your problem.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Cams and another 3-4psi and I bet youre almost there, the 3.5 dp I'd bet would definitely get you there at 2 bar. (with the cams of course)

·
THE NOTORIOUS BHP
4,520 Posts
I agree. If we put the variables in order of impact or importance I think tuning would head the list.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well because of my Profec B I have never been above 25psi just FYI. Justin from Protech Performance who is considered one of the best AEM tuners in the country tuned my car, so I dont think thats the issue.

I also just checked every member of T04R.com and none made over 700 with T78 and stock long block, no nitrous. One made 67x, the rest were around 650 and under. Tony Nguyen with cams made under 700 which I dont see how.

Titanium, Peter made over 950 with the 3-row, but my point is could he have made 960 with the 4-row. Not that it cant handle high hp but would it free up more? Chris B. gained a decent amount of HP from just trading up to a 4-row supposedly on his T78.

Formula1Vendetta, not sure how to respond to your post. A requirement of mine is to make 700 without exceeding 30psi "if" possible. :D

Thanks for the input guys.. Keep it going!

·
-Getting High on KAI-
272 Posts
95BPUplus said:
Well because of my Profec B I have never been above 25psi just FYI. Justin from Protech Performance who is considered one of the best AEM tuners in the country tuned my car, so I dont think thats the issue.

Titanium, Peter made over 950 with the 3-row, but my point is could he have made 960 with the 4-row. Not that it cant handle high hp but would it free up more? Chris B. gained a decent amount of HP from just trading up to a 4-row supposedly on his T78.

Formula1Vendetta, not sure how to respond to your post. A requirement of mine is to make 700 without exceeding 30psi "if" possible. :D

Thanks for the input guys.. Keep it going!
1: If you have one of the best AEM tuners in hand why don`t you contact Him for advise on what to modifiy:confused:

2: Come on, what do you think, looking on how many posts you have written you should know what the 4row can do and the 3row can!!!
BUT ill do some write up: bigger cooler means lower intaketemp = lower intaketemp means more hp.
Bigger cooler also means more space to fill with compressed air = more space means more lag.
shifting from a 3row to a 4row when driving a "midsice" turbo like the t78 = trowing 1800 dollars out the window cause the gains are not big anough IMO!!!

Just turn the boost up and go with some 264 cams, and you will be at your goal... ;)

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
Jon,

I agree with the others. Throw in that MBC again, crank her up to 29-30psi, add a set of 264s, and I'd almost guarantee you'll hit 700whp. For comparison sake, since we almost have the same sized turbo, I made 593whp @ only 27psi with the converter unlocked!! I probably would have made ~640whp or so just by locking the converter and that is through an auto, 100% stock motor down to the cam gears. This was with a VERY conservative tune, 11.3's (a/f) up top and 14 degrees timing peak tq, 17 to redline.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheDane said:
1: If you have one of the best AEM tuners in hand why don`t you contact Him for advise on what to modifiy:confused:

2: Come on, what do you think, looking on how many posts you have written you should know what the 4row can do and the 3row can!!!
Just turn the boost up and go with some 264 cams, and you will be at your goal... ;)
TheDane,I dont have Justin at will. He's in Texas I am in NY. He came here for a AEM tuning session.

I do know what the 4-row can do, i just wanted numbers. I wanted to see if it was worth my while to spend the extra money for a 4-row with examples from other people. Its not going to be $1800 either, if I sell my 3-row it will only be a few hundred to upgrade.

bad94sup, im buying a new BC so that damn MBC wont be needed. :D so far it seems like cams are the way to go. Anyone else? Nice times BTW ;)

·
Registered
855 Posts
It'll be interesting to compare the spool difference just by switching from a 3 row to a 4 row. I am T78 with 4 row and I have datalogs showing my spool. I wonder how different your T78 spools in comparison. Maybe if you get a chance sometime, internal log a pull on a flat straight road in 4th gear from 1500 rpm. Then we can do a comparison for shits and giggles.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
when do you hit full boost? I dont have any logs besides a drag run. Ive only run 25psi a few times on the street.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I think cams and the AEM should get you there. What kind of power are you making right now?

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
Jon,

If you dont plan to go over about 700 on your T78, and you dont plan to go to a bigger turbo, I'd keep the 3 row, I dont think you'll see a big enough power gain to justify the cost or the couple hundred RPM in lag.

The 264's though IMO are going to be worth every penny. The stock cams are huge bottle necks over 650 wheel, I bet at the same boost, with those cams and your tuning staying as it is, youd see 650 wheel with just the cams. add another 3 or 4 lbs of boost, tune it, and youll be really close.

If you then go to the 3.5 in. downpipe, which I think is a great idea, I dont see how you could still be in the 600s at 2 bar.

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
medici78 said:
I think cams and the AEM should get you there. What kind of power are you making right now?
power in my sig.. i believe at 19 degrees of timing..

LYTLdiablo, Seems like that is the route im going to need to go.. cams and new dp.. poor credit card :(

·
Never enough
1,418 Posts
95BPUplus said:
power in my sig.. i believe at 19 degrees of timing..

LYTLdiablo, Seems like that is the route im going to need to go.. cams and new dp.. poor credit card :(
Jon:

Did you ever redyno with a cooled down car and higher boost since you left Xotic? I bet with 30-31psi you'd be pretty close already.

Andrew

·
SFOT 4 Pit Bulls
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bad94sup said:
Jon:

Did you ever redyno with a cooled down car and higher boost since you left Xotic? I bet with 30-31psi you'd be pretty close already.

Andrew
No my car hasnt seen a dyno since then. It runs funny when there is lightning.. I think its scared ever since the dyno blew :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts