Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as we all know the head gaskets on these cars is pretty worthless. What steps do you recommend to avoiding a bhg? I immagine it'd be something along the lines of not driving it hard... but is there anything else you can do?

·
SupraStore.com
2,134 Posts
¤ Dont drive it hard, especially if you have developed a miss
¤ Properly retorque the stock headgasket, however you'd be better off with a MHG and ARP studs torqued to 80 or so.
¤ Enough clean oil all the time. Doubt its HG related but good advice nonetheless
¤ WATCH your TEMP GAUGE!
¤ Redline Water Wetter and dual electric fans.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The best way to remove that possibility is to replace it before it blows. Although I'm not one to talk.. I've been pushing my luck with the stock HG at 12psi for 6 months... I gotta just breakdown and thrown in the MHG... soon. :)

·
SuperWhiteNinetyTwoMeat
1,001 Posts
Replace it before you blow it. Stock fan is probably better than any electric fan so I would think it would be best to keep anyway.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stratoayu said:
DONT DRIVE IT HARD WHEN ITS COLD! only advice i know :)
When the weather is cold or the car isn't warmed up?

·
Banned
772 Posts
stratoayu said:
DONT DRIVE IT HARD WHEN ITS COLD! only advice i know :)
i must agree with this comment, and let the car warm up enuff to drive...dont get lazy with ur oil changes and such.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
no when the weather is cold its fine, its just when the engine is cold. i usually let the car warm up for 5-10 mins before i drive it, and then i dont even boost until the temp gauge reaches all the way to the middle.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yep, i'm gonna say it. I have to. Sorry guys.

BUY A 1JZ :bigthumb:

·
A Happy Dad
2,321 Posts
replace stock with a MHG, if you already have; run good gas, keep it in tune/time, and never let a detonating situation linger

1 - 11 of 11 Posts