Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the easiest and best way to get to the IC piping? I know there is one that you can check in the engine bay but what is the easiest way to get to the others? I know there is a black undercarage or whatever that black thing is that makes getting to the sidemount inecessible. Do you have to take the whole black thing off? My car is running real rich, cant boost over 15 psi, the car boggs out a lot, and i am idling real rough (rpms go from 200rpm - 2000rpm) SO this makes me believe i have a boost leak somewhere...?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
dave best way to check out the pipes on the passenger side if you cant get under the car is to jack up the passenger side and take off the wheel then take out the wheel well its attached by a few screws !(make sure to put jack supports under the car for safty) the intercooler will then be exposed !

·
Banned
945 Posts
mystic said:
Whats the easiest and best way to get to the IC piping? I know there is one that you can check in the engine bay but what is the easiest way to get to the others? I know there is a black undercarage or whatever that black thing is that makes getting to the sidemount inecessible. Do you have to take the whole black thing off? My car is running real rich, cant boost over 15 psi, the car boggs out a lot, and i am idling real rough (rpms go from 200rpm - 2000rpm) SO this makes me believe i have a boost leak somewhere...?
The *BEST* way to check for a boost leak is to cover the intake piping with a cap or very rugged plastic. (like a fertilizer bag) Take the brake vaccum line off (the banjo bolt on the intake manifold) and shoot compressed air from a compressor into the system. You will hear the leak.

If it doesn't compress the system, bump the starter-- valves are overlapping.

·
Registered
74 Posts
dude, your leak

Dude, it sounds like your intercooler piping blew off and is barely connected somewhere... it's happened to me a couple of times to me... the most likely place is the piping that goes from the compressor to the inlet part of the intercooler, do this to check it:

jack the right front of the car up, remove all the bolts to the wheel well, 2 pieces should be removed. You'll see the intercooler with the piping that's clamped... tug, pull and check it out to see if it's come off anywhere, more than likely you'll be able to spot it. Go out and get some diesel clamps and throw them on (aka T clamps or whatever). Bolt the two panels back and say whew.

(if your car's bellowing out black smoke from the rear and it's barely drivable with that bad an idle... you definetly got an ic pipe disconnected somewhere, more than likely the inlet part)

·
Registered
74 Posts
pic:

here's a pic of the part i'm talking about above, the pipe has been moved to the side a bit so it's exaggerated that it "blew" off... your pipe would look like it's barely connected or just resting on the inlet allowing some air to pass...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Posted by AZWildcat:
The *BEST* way to check for a boost leak is to cover the intake piping with a cap or very rugged plastic. (like a fertilizer bag) Take the brake vaccum line off (the banjo bolt on the intake manifold) and shoot compressed air from a compressor into the system. You will hear the leak.
You forgot the part about getting the nearest laborer to plug them up after their found;)

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a bunch guys. I sure as hell hope it is a IC pipe problem. I am not sure what else it could be...vacuum leak? When i first got the car, it ran fine, i had a boost leak at my EGR and the car didnt run rich or anything...then when I went bpu i had problems. I am sure it is a boost leak as when I was doing the bpu mods, i took the front right rim/tire off and also took the wheel well out so I could run the wireing. Hopefully this is the problem!!

Thanks guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts