Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have ditched my power streeing pump and put my altantor there in it's place since i am useing FFI and it looks much cleaner and keep the alt away form the gas lines and such so if they leak i ahve lesser chance of and enige fire plus it's better ad weigh ot eh opsit side of the driver

any way's

so far i herd the best way to run the stock rack is with no fulid at all or just tad to keep the seals from drying out

is this the best way think it is cause air is alot easyer ot push then atf

·
Workin' Man
445 Posts
Make sure to run a short piece of hose to the inlet and outlet on the rack forming a "jumper loop" to keep the the little bit of fluid form leakin out. Hope you have big pipes cause parking it will be a bitch.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
i have said it before. Lets hope that the day don't come where you have to try and muscle a 3300+ lbs car that has gone out of control. You WILL NOT regain control of it.

Unlike a manual rack which has a gearing advatage. The MKIII supra power steering rack has no such thing. It is power assisted not gear assisted ;)

·
Buddy thought I had a NA
2,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
figgie said:
i have said it before. Lets hope that the day don't come where you have to try and muscle a 3300+ lbs car that has gone out of control. You WILL NOT regain control of it.

Unlike a manual rack which has a gearing advatage. The MKIII supra power steering rack has no such thing. It is power assisted not gear assisted ;)

the rack will do fine wiht no fulid i do know abotut daidy chain as well

as for looseing control there no diff in the rack's

my oother car is 82 rx7 with manule rack and it turns just as easy as my buddies supra with no pump wiht fulid in it

from what i knwo you just bleed out the rack about tell it drained then take about 250 mill cup and feed it in the line tell it's gone

oh yae my car weight is about 3050 to 3100 and alot of weight is bean taken form the front of the car

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone been running pumpless for substantial length of time with no side efffects? I ran around without the belt for a few days and steering was tolerable, but I put the belt back on because I was told this would damage the rack.

·
Banned
6,955 Posts
You can run the pump with lil fluid as the rack itself has greece in it for lubrication. The fluid your speaking of is for the power assist.

Duane

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Just toss the pump out and plug any holes. Fluid will not be moving so there is no need for a loop.

If you do lose control there will be little you can do about it. If you try to fight the wheel you will probaby sprain your hand/wrist or something. Just don't get too insane. I daily drive a car with no PS connected and it's just fine.

·
475RWHP 449TQ and climing
5,905 Posts
Well lucky me....My FFI is made with alternator in place and no battery relocation.
By the way I have power steering and A/C.;)

·
0 Posts
I've ran mine with no pump for 2 months now and its fine. It weighs 3500 with me(165) and its an auto hard top. If you can shed a little weight, it steers alot easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts