Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I have decided to start upgrading my system starting this fall. I pretty much know what I want to buy, (don't know where I am gonna buy it, just yet). But there is no way in hell I can purchase all this stuff an one time. So here is where my question comes in. If you had to build a system step by step how would you go about doing this the best and most efficient way. I read an email post from the big list, I believe from Derek and this is the way he suggested. I was wondering if the stereo guru's on this board agree or disagree.

He suggested to do the following:

" TO DO IT RIGHT: If you want to upgrade the stock stereo start first with the speakers in the front (anything less than separates is not an upgrade), then the rears (do not use a coax or a tweeter in this location, use a mid/woofer), then the sub-woofer (only choice is a custom box since there is no aftermarket driver replacement). Once you replace the speakers, the stock amp is the next weakest link (literally) but if you want to replace it you must replace the head unit at the same time since the stock head
unit will not work with an aftermarket amp. Try to get a head unit
that has DSP (digital signal processing) with built in equalization (not a built in analog equalizer) so you can smooth the frequency response curve to match the car. Once you get all installed you can calibrate the system (smooth the frequency response curve) using a test CD (Stereophile or others available) and a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack. Then you will have a system that will sound excellent on all kinds of music."

Thanks in advance for the replies,

-jA

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Start with a new custom sub. Then replace the front speakers. Then the rears if you want. I don't use the rears. Then get a new head unit and amp at the same time.

S

·
0 Posts
Actually, the stock head unit CAN be used with an aftermarket amp. I veryfied this with Thomas Kenyon just the other day when looking into some replacements for my stock apeakers that are going out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts