Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Original Owner
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
steve theodore should chime in soon, but from what i understand, what are somethings we can go w/o to reduce some weight..

1) spare tire *got a AAA membership 24 hour road side assistance)

2) replace stock seats with lighter racing seats?

3) remove back seats...

4)smaller battery

what would it take to get the car closer to 3000 instead of 3500? w/o sacrificing too much luxury...

its time for a diet guys, cheapest way to go faster and turn better =)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
ive heard on news that atkins works pretty well.. a lot of people use slim fast :eek: :p

lightweight wheels help a lot from what ive read :)

best way to do it without sacrificing your luxuries... think about what you use/need and what you dont use/need and take it out.. nothing is too small to matter, every little bit adds up. its easier to come up with 100 ways to save 1 lb than 1 way to save 100 lbs ;)

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
As Steve will tell you, it all depends on how far you want to go.

If you want to get down to 3000lbs.... you will have to sacrifice some major creature comforts.... and spend some bucks to buy lighter parts.... IE CF hood, CF driveshaft, lighter wheels and so on.

Also, having a hardtop will start you off over a hundred pounds lighter then a targa. :cool:

O

·
0 Posts
For what it's worth... I took out all my seats but the drivers seat, spare tire and my stock auto tt weight was 3,220 lbs. But that ain't luxery if you ask me. It's more like "ricery" It don't look pretty either :)

·
Champagne Papi
5,694 Posts
Craig King said:
]Also, having a hardtop will start you off over a hundred pounds lighter then a targa. :cool:
i never knew hardtops were lighter than targas.. how much lighter?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
PaKmaN said:
i never knew hardtops were lighter than targas.. how much lighter?
They are approximately 60 pounds lighter.

3000 is pretty hard to do unless you plan to do some major sacrafices. The best bet is to get rid of unsprung weight, as that'll help the most.

Light wheels, suspension components and brakes (like Brembos) would all help a lot. Then get every item you can in CF, and replace the glass with lexon. Of course, none of this is cheap. I've also heard that getting rid of the airbags and AC system can help a lot. But I personnaly wouldn't go that far.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Curtis SEARCH Mother [email protected]#$%!j/k LOL. Getting weight off the rear is easy, but off the front is twice as harder. Taking weight off to achieve 3000 w/o taking off luxaries while still retaining some of the ol' amenities is nearly impossible unless you can afford light weight parts, most of which would be custom materials.

My ideas would be
-Remove rear seats
-Spare tire
-Tools
-All speakers amp and deck
-Light weight rims, calipers and rotors.
-All collision and support bars
-All titanium bolts, nuts, and screws.
-No wing
-Carbon fiber panels
-CF drive shaft
-Remove carpet and all sound deadening tar
-Air conditioning system
-Power steering

etc etc etc......

I believe the only way to achieve 3000 pounds is to replace most and all parts with either Titanium or Carbon Fiber, otherwise it's impossible and way too hard and expensive. Face it, the MKIV is one fat bitch.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Weight over the front:

Tow-hooks, both heavy.

Trac pump/ECU, I need to do this.

EGR system, how heavy is this? I have the plates, but have yet to fit them.

FWIW, my hardtop 6sp is 3300lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel and the following:

No top/bottom rear seat.
No rear seatbelt assembelies.
No tools/carpet//spare etc at the back.
Decat/Hiper
Minor parts around car.

Now has a FMIC added (but bar removed).
No tow-hooks.
Will have no trac/rear bumper support/no EGR next time.

·
Big Member
707 Posts
i remember i read somewhere you could take of the reinforcement on the glove compartment. that saves about 2-3 lbs

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Boon said:
i remember i read somewhere you could take of the reinforcement on the glove compartment. that saves about 2-3 lbs
yup i think its in the faq area not sure
also like stated get rid of the twins go single youll save alot of weight there (tubos, egr maf ect.) ,i think adding a Titanium exhuast like the Veilside might help as well and also a dp to get rid of some unwanted fat.

as for the radio chuck the stock unit and amp(located under the passenger seat and get a radio with built in amp and chuck the sub too.thats good for a few pounds .

as well as the foam in the rear under the rear mat

get rid of the stock fan and add an electric one that might also help .

dump the padding under the hood and just put some dynamat heat shielding in the areas where its needed( like over the turbo).

and if you want to get picky look in to changing the bolts and nuts around to Titanium ONES .

·
Registered
875 Posts
VINZE said:
Curtis SEARCH Mother [email protected]#$%!j/k LOL. Getting weight off the rear is easy, but off the front is twice as harder. Taking weight off to achieve 3000 w/o taking off luxaries while still retaining some of the ol' amenities is nearly impossible unless you can afford light weight parts, most of which would be custom materials.

My ideas would be
-Remove rear seats
-Spare tire
-Tools
-All speakers amp and deck
-Light weight rims, calipers and rotors.
-All collision and support bars
-All titanium bolts, nuts, and screws.
-No wing
-Carbon fiber panels
-CF drive shaft
-Remove carpet and all sound deadening tar
-Air conditioning system
-Power steering

etc etc etc......

I believe the only way to achieve 3000 pounds is to replace most and all parts with either Titanium or Carbon Fiber, otherwise it's impossible and way too hard and expensive. Face it, the MKIV is one fat bitch.
just curious, whenever people talk about weight reduction they talk about 1 pound here another pound there, but at the front is a huge block of iron which must weigh several hundred pounds, so i was thinking has anyone heard of aluminium engine parts/blocks for supras? - i suppose an aluminium block would be the best cause you would save lots of weight.

(the honda s2000 for example uses aluminum piston rods to allow it to get the most out of vtec ie rev like crazy fast. )

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
All these ideas aside, how much weight do you have to drop before you begin to have a NOTICEABLE difference in handling? Weight reduction was suggested to me to improve handling in my thread on that topic and I don't know how much weight loss makes any difference.

I'm sort of wanting to know the minimum amount I need to drop to make the car respond crisply without taking the whole interior and other creature comforts out like some of you are suggesting.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
jasonlee said:
just curious, whenever people talk about weight reduction they talk about 1 pound here another pound there, but at the front is a huge block of iron which must weigh several hundred pounds, so i was thinking has anyone heard of aluminium engine parts/blocks for supras? - i suppose an aluminium block would be the best cause you would save lots of weight.

(the honda s2000 for example uses aluminum piston rods to allow it to get the most out of vtec ie rev like crazy fast. )
I'm not sure, but isn't the Supra an aluminum block, already?

Try this:

- convert to manual steering (not sure if a kit is available or not..)
- remove AC system
- Remove Radiator ;)
- single turbo (less weight than stock twins)
- Carbon Fibre hood

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
easy things to lose weight and not compromise daily drivability:

item approx. pounds saved

spare tire 30
tools 5
trac ecu 4
trac equip. 19
egr equip 2
glovebox plate 2
lighter wheels 3 x 4 wheels = 12 lbs
cf hood 4
19 lb reclining seats 45
titanium exhaust 22 lbs

that's 145 pounds right there; nothing crazy, or unusually expensive.

·
Member Thingy
1,120 Posts
All these ideas aside, how much weight do you have to drop before you begin to have a NOTICEABLE difference in handling?
go stuff 2 friends in the car with you, and drive around doing some hard turns and braking. then make them get out, and repeat. :)

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
kale said:
go stuff 2 friends in the car with you, and drive around doing some hard turns and braking. then make them get out, and repeat. :)
Okay - so you're saying two friends worth of weight reduction so I should shoot to lose about 300 pounds (without friends). Then my car will handle perfectly and all my driving dreams will come true?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
SilkE said:
All these ideas aside, how much weight do you have to drop before you begin to have a NOTICEABLE difference in handling? Weight reduction was suggested to me to improve handling in my thread on that topic and I don't know how much weight loss makes any difference.
I normally drive w/o my spare tire since I have roadside assistance anyways. However, last summer I was taking a road trip so I decided to put the spare back in. I fully inflated it and put it in the trunk. I didn't make any power changes (boost was the same) and the car felt like an absolute pig. I know it's only 30-40 pounds, but to me it felt like the car had an anchor attached to it. As soon as I returned, I took the spare out again and drove the car later that day. The car felt as if it had just taken a big dump and was light again :D

So, to me, 30-40lbs makes a huge difference.

T

·
0 Posts
SilkE said:
Okay - so you're saying two friends worth of weight reduction so I should shoot to lose about 300 pounds (without friends). Then my car will handle perfectly and all my driving dreams will come true?
No hes saying there will be a difference....Do you speed read or something?

·
Just Cruisin' Thru
663 Posts
trilabs said:
No hes saying there will be a difference....Do you speed read or something?
I understood what he meant and appreciate the suggestion. I even thought it was funny the way he put it! I do think that 300 pounds is a lot of weight reduction for the first noticeable difference really - which was my question. I think that location of the weight reduced might also have something to do with it. I'm thinking that maybe at that much of a weight reduction the car might handle close to perfect (to me) but it's a fairly aggressive amount of weight to lose.

As for speed reading, I don't know what you're talking about.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts