Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like someone to pitch in here. I would like to know what the best filler metal to work with is for welding cast aluminum parts. I would want to use a fillter metal that is the strongest and easiest to weld. I would appreciate any input...thanks

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
Obviously the only thing you can use to weld aluminum is ALUMINUM ;)

·
The Wilwood Brakes Dude
228 Posts
When you say wire I assume you have a spool gun. If not then you should always TIG it if you have the option. Then it you TIG it you would be using rod, and in that case you would have alot of options. on 6061 Use 5356 filler rod for max strength, Use 4043 filler rod for max corrosion resistance. But in most cases the cast you are welding to is mystery metal so make sure you practice in an inconspicuous place if there are problems.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the reply...what was i really asking was what alloy grade of filler metal...aka welding wire. I have read 4xxx series is the easiest to weld on any cast alum parts so I guess ill go with that :bigthumb:

I am using a mig welder btw

·
Registered
408 Posts
yup, i like to use 5356. it is alot stronger bonding that the 4043. you can use both, if you are polishing it id go with the 4043 though because ive had better results getting a good blend. either way, good luck!

·
Supra Fan
4,115 Posts
I found that welding aluminum with my buddys mig was a nightmare. the spool kept getting caught up in the line. what a pian.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
njsupramk3t said:
I found that welding aluminum with my buddys mig was a nightmare. the spool kept getting caught up in the line. what a pian.
Worn liner, feed drums, and maybe user error. :p With a good setup, Al welding is pretty easy.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
njsupramk3t said:
I'd say the mig was a pos then....and im sure welding steel would be a pain as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts