Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I get back from college to find something strange has happened to my car. I popped the hood to clean it up a bit, and see my shroud pulled to the motor in between the fan blades and one blade broken. My first thought was someone did this, I would have heard it if I was driving it. Well, more thinking and analyzing the situation, I noticed there were slit marks on the under hood cover. It had to have happen with the hood closed. Well, I have been taking my time building this car up and just recently has it felt boost above 14 psi. The placement of the shroud is a bit closer to the fan with the fluidyne radiator. The extra motor torque when I got on it cause the fan to grabe the front of the shroud and break the blade and stop the fan. Well, this happened when I was driving it hard so I didn't hear a thing over the turbo and exhaust. It stopped the fan, and was just allowing the fan clutch to slip. I parked the car never knew. Now, 2 months later I find it, heh. Thankfully there was no damage to the fluidyne from the broken blade. I have an extra fan and clutch, but not sure if it would be wise to run without the shroud, any thoughts?

Dale

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
you can run without the shroud but you'll run a little hotter, and your fans will be a lot less efficient. get yourself a new shroud as soon as you can

·
The Beginning
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like a new shroud, but I have been through 3 so far. They are so damn vulnerable to the heat and motor torque. I am thinking of trying to salvage this one. Only one mounting tabe is broken, or I may just go electrical not sure.

·
JZA70 or go home!!
2,495 Posts
its happend to many, including me.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
you could get some solid mounts, well, i guess weld yours or however it's done on pre 89's. that would make it not torque so much under power.

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
its happened to me too, however mine cut my radiator and i needed a new one.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i hate the fan shrouds on these cars... i just had a new motor done in my n/a and i was going down the road and saw the heat gauge going up. of course i was freaking out thinking i had another BHG :D but yea.. turned out the fan caught the shroud, and knocked up the bvsv? i dunno the little green thing with the 2 hoses coming off :) yea... i hate the shrouds lol

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
mmmm.. I have run with no fan shroud for the entire year I have owned it. I don't ever see any heating problems. As long as your cooling system is working fine, and you have a fan blowing air, you will be fine.

·
Premium Member
5,301 Posts
Happened three times to my car. Coincidentally never happened while I was driving, always happened when someone else used it.

I had over 500rwhp and the thickest radiator you can get on there with the stock fan and shroud (PWR) and the stock 87-88 motor mounts. Never broke anything when I was driving it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts