Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
beware...(most)6.5 components do NOT fit

I am furious. I just got back from the installer, the Focal 165K2 compononents will NOT fit in the doors. The doors are extremely thin and the only component 6.5 that we could get to fit into the doors were some Boston Acoustic RC620 Rally series, not even the top of their line. I simply do not understand how a car as massive as the Supra cannot accomodate speakers any larger.

These speakers are about 13mm too deep to fit. Apparently I'll have to buy some cheap speakers to get them to fit because only cheap speakers aren't over 65mm deep (the maximum depth that will fit...and that's scraping on the window behind it).

·
Registered
362 Posts
Did you use mounting frames? With them I had no problem fitting my 17cm Dynaudio speakers which are pretty deep and have a large magnet.

Flavio

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flavio said:
Did you use mounting frames? With them I had no problem fitting my 17cm Dynaudio speakers which are pretty deep and have a large magnet.

Flavio
My installer (he's pretty good, he's had cars in magazines) opened up the door and we took the speaker out of the box and put it right up to the door...for it to be mounted flush with the door, it would actually hit the window behind it. These things are monsters.

I've found some Diamond Hex components that are quite about more shallow (63mm vs 78mm) that might do the trick.

Anybody want a brand-new in box Focal 165K2's? They're supposed to sound amazing...too bad I'll never know. $400 and they're yours (+shipping).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats weird. I have read many Supra owners installed Focal in their car.

Anyway, thanks for the warning, I almost bought a used set of Focal.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sayho said:
Thats weird. I have read many Supra owners installed Focal in their car.

Anyway, thanks for the warning, I almost bought a used set of Focal.
Thomas Kenyon managed to get them into his car although I have no idea how he did it. I just emailed him asking him if he could let us know. One other thing is that the Focals are so heavy I'd be concerned about how the constant opening/closing of doors would effect their condition.

I tried to edit my post to say *SOME* 6.5 components don't fit but I cannot edit it apparently.

·
4,417 Posts
I think you need Thomas' mounting rings.. or some spacers. Several guys have them here....

The stock enclosure has to go (of course)...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim Swantko said:
I think you need Thomas' mounting rings.. or some spacers. Several guys have them here....

The stock enclosure has to go (of course)...
If you remove the enclosure, you're losing all of the area needed to provide good acoustics though, right?

I'd like to get more info on these spacers and mounting rings.

·
4,417 Posts
DefBringer said:

If you remove the enclosure, you're losing all of the area needed to provide good acoustics though, right?

I'd like to get more info on these spacers and mounting rings.

Yeah... but then you dynamat (or whatever) the entire door. Some people have modified the stock enclosure with fiberglass to accomodate the larger driver. I'm gonna TRY to use the stock one... but I'm going to sound deaden the door regardless. I did my rear "trunk" area and it made a huge difference... made the HKS Ti go from a roar to just a little rumble.

Search for Thomas' mounting rings.

Jim

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jim Swantko said:

Yeah... but then you dynamat (or whatever) the entire door. Some people have modified the stock enclosure with fiberglass to accomodate the larger driver. I'm gonna TRY to use the stock one... but I'm going to sound deaden the door regardless. I did my rear "trunk" area and it made a huge difference... made the HKS Ti go from a roar to just a little rumble.

Search for Thomas' mounting rings.

Jim
He told me he wasn't selling them anymore and that I'd have to contact some other guy for them. I lost the phone number. :(

I really, REALLY want to try to find a way to get these Focals to work. If anybody has a set of his mounting plates you'd be willing to sell, I'd really pay decent $ for them.

·
Cope, the dip of champs!
267 Posts
if your installer has had cars in mags he should have no trouble making some. any installer can make them out of mdf.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Flavio said:
Show the pics in my Image Station album (http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292128693) to your installer and he should get the idea how the mounting rings works.

Flavio
Flavio, very cool. I will show this to him.

Are those black brackets with the 3 places to connect the ones that Thomas made? Where can I get those?

It looks like you're using a spacer to bring the speaker further out into the car....is that right?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hakaida said:
if your installer has had cars in mags he should have no trouble making some. any installer can make them out of mdf.
I'm going to send him this photo link and see if he is willing to do something like this for me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
DefBringer said:

Flavio, very cool. I will show this to him.

Are those black brackets with the 3 places to connect the ones that Thomas made? Where can I get those?

It looks like you're using a spacer to bring the speaker further out into the car....is that right?
The black things are the brackets made by Thomas. They fit in lieu fo the standard speaker enclosure and you screw the speakers into these brackets. Because you tightly wrap the Dynamat (or something similar) around the brackets they look like spacers. The way the brackets are made by Thomas the speakers are flush behind the stock grille.

Flavio

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sweet, thanks very much for the help. I'm going to print this out and show it to my installer. What speakers do you have mounted in your doors, btw?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
DefBringer:

When you talked to your installer, is it possible to ask him to fabricate a few more sets of the brackets and the cost of it? I think many people here are very interested in them, since Thomas stop making them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
362 Posts
DefBringer said:
Sweet, thanks very much for the help. I'm going to print this out and show it to my installer. What speakers do you have mounted in your doors, btw?
Dynaudio System 240, 17cm woofers.

Flavio

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sayho said:
DefBringer:

When you talked to your installer, is it possible to ask him to fabricate a few more sets of the brackets and the cost of it? I think many people here are very interested in them, since Thomas stop making them.

Thanks.

Sure, I'll ask him.

Flavio, can you let us know how much you had to pay for Thomas' mounts?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts