Supra Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just, culated how much paypal took form my account for a 1750$ payment us for a few things and they carged a wopping 35$ in currency convresion charges. No where in the details of the payment do they mention this nor do they mention this...

Just beware of these snakes.

Make sure you always calculate shit your self.

· Registered
2,315 Posts
they take tons of money
it adds up
what i always do is e checks
maximum deduction = 5 bucks

· Moderator, l337 M0d3r4t0r
13,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No

if you pay E checks you get snaked for that exchange rate fee if it's comming form a canadian account.

If you pay form visa there is a 3.1% charge form paypal, which the receiver has to pay. Usually they make the buyer pay that though.

· Registered
709 Posts
Yep, its actually more then 3 percent on small transactions because of the standard 30 cent charge. I never pay for anything large with paypal if I have to do an exchange as well. Just send a money order, if your bank likes you they'll give you a much better rate (though obviously no one will ever give you the current exchange rate). They also ding you if you withdraw less then 150 at a time, but at least they dropped that fee down a little now. If I get paid for something with paypal I usually just let it sit there in whatever currency it came in and then eventually spend it in the same currency.

The way I see it a money order is 5 bucks, so as long as the paypal fees (with exchange) are less then or about the same its worth using for the pure convience factor, but I would never make any big purchases with it.

· Registered
947 Posts
fug...spoke too soon. Got the notice tonight that all CDN paypal users have to switch to Paypal Canada, their new CDN arm. There they will get you for the exchange hit...perhaps there were too many dealing in US funds on Visas and they want a bigger cut of the pie on the currency side...may be the end of Paypal for me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.